New Acquisitions for January 2015

The Goose

NES Member
Ordered this today, hopefully will have it by next week sometime. Northwest Trade type pistol marked M. A. Taylor, Sheffield on top of the barrel. The wood is Maple. It is a .60 smoothbore. The type of pistol used as barter or trade during the hay day of the western fur trade business.

IJA Officer's Sword

Pretty interesting (late) aquisition...Purchased from an older woman who wanted it out of her house, this is an IJA Officer's Katana. After getting it authenticated via the tang under the leather weather cover from a local museum, turns out it is a real Samurai sword from 1682 that just happened to be carried in WW2. I do not know the back story, and apparently it is really hard to trace who carried what sword into battle, but would love to hear about the things this sword has witnessed/done!! Cheers!

Attachments

• sword1.jpg
    sword1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
very nice find!

Pretty interesting (late) aquisition...Purchased from an older woman who wanted it out of her house, this is an IJA Officer's Katana. After getting it authenticated via the tang under the leather weather cover from a local museum, turns out it is a real Samurai sword from 1682 that just happened to be carried in WW2. I do not know the back story, and apparently it is really hard to trace who carried what sword into battle, but would love to hear about the things this sword has witnessed/done!! Cheers!

New Eagle Secret Service Grips for the 454 and a Simply Rugged Sourdough holster.
View attachment 124170View attachment 124172
3e9de442a009e72d734dfde0740c7d3c.jpg
43aa9c760f2389a5fdf65cd6f858980e.jpg

Last edited:
Another new one bought today. Harrington & Richardson breaktop .38 S&W. Amazing that this old gun survived in such incredible condition. Dating these cheap old guns is a little tough, but I have determined that it was made between 1891 and 1904 and was made for black powder. The pictures really do not do it justice. It looks almost new. The bore was filthy, but cleaned right up. Dies, brass and bullets are on the way. It takes a .361 soft lead bullet.

I went for the advertisement only after doing much research and picked up an Iraqi contractor WASR.

Supposedly these along with DPMS ARs, and AES10B RPKs were bought from Century and shipped to Iraq where they were user by Ugandan contractors.

Sounded good to me plus I like the worn look and the price was definitely right.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420323754013.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420323754013.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 196
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420323765163.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420323765163.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 154
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420323774817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420323774817.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 147
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420323784336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420323784336.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 142
Today I picked up a Ruger MKIII Target from Four Seasons. I was very lucky as it was the last one of that model in stock. It's not exotic, but I'm pumped to finally own something that shoots .22lr. I took it to the range today and had a lot of fun with it.

image-2823094868.jpg

That is so cool!

Pretty interesting (late) aquisition...Purchased from an older woman who wanted it out of her house.
I do not know the back story, and apparently it is really hard to trace who carried what sword into battle,

Every journey has a starting point.
Did you ask where/how she had acquired it ?

I think it's very cool and worth a try

Very cool find.

I went for the advertisement only after doing much research and picked up an Iraqi contractor WASR.

Supposedly these along with DPMS ARs, and AES10B RPKs were bought from Century and shipped to Iraq where they were user by Ugandan contractors.

Sounded good to me plus I like the worn look and the price was definitely right.

So you ARE still collecting. Nice pick up.

T

Pretty interesting (late) aquisition...Purchased from an older woman who wanted it out of her house.
I do not know the back story, and apparently it is really hard to trace who carried what sword into battle,

Every journey has a starting point.
Did you ask where/how she had acquired it ?

I think it's very cool and worth a try

Her grandfather acquired it in a poker game in 1947. He passed away about ten years ago. I know the maker of the sword- he was fairly popular for the time. From a WWII standpoint and tracking down a family, I have looked and asked experts and there is no database in existence to know who carried what sword into battle. Also, since it was forged in 1682, even with it belonging to a single samurai, that individual would've had over 100 relatives by 1941 (estimate)...no telling which side of the family took the family sword into battle. If this was a normal IJA officer's sword, you could probably figure out using the armory serial who had it- this one remains a mystery. I am continuing to crack away at the back story but as of now I only know who forged it and when.

December bought but January Built..This was the Black Friday PSA Rifle Kit (upper, BCG, PSA Lower parts kit, Buffer, tube, spring)
Then Magpul Furniture, YHM Muzzle.total cost was 590.00. I call it my budget build. I shot it for the 1st time tonight and ran 200rds down range with 0 issues, recoil actually was smooth and trig felt great.
View attachment 124486 View attachment 124487 View attachment 124488

That is awesome. I would never sell that, that is a nice piece to pass along.

Went up to Old Glory up in Mason, NH this past Sunday expecting to just pick up a box or two of non-corrosive 7.62x54r... ended up leaving with my first SKS (my second Mil-surp), for an incredible deal compared to the Chinese SKS' I've seen on ClassicFirearms, AIM Surplus, and other online vendors as of late [wink] (In my mind anyways). I'll be posting a thread in the Mil-Surp subforum for more info on it and a few questions, if y'all are interested: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/270939-Bought-My-First-SKS-Showcase-amp-Questions

Chinese SKS Type 56
Imported by N.A. Co. of Ridgefield N.J.

There are no other markings on the gun, save the importer's mark. I estimate this to be early production between 1956-1962 due to the low serial number and other manufacturing techniques. I'd be much obliged if anyone has any information to toss in, I'm not the most knowledgeable on the SKS so far and I'd love to learn more.

I really ought to stay out of NH, every time I make a trip up there I manage to bring home a firearm, parts, or a ton of ammo; who knows what'll come home next.

Last edited:

Oiyojux.gif

I bought the S&W 617, 10 shot .22, in December, but the Eagle grips came and I assembled and photographed them in January. I've put more than 200 rounds through it, of all varieties, short and long rifle, and it has been great, as a fine revolver should be!

I think that a few things are beautiful in this world, such as women, animals, nature, fine art and music, guns, and other highly engineered tools of a non-electronic variety, though not necessarily in that order on any given day! Btw, those aren't scratches on the frame, and I never even noticed them before these pics. (?) DSC02993.jpgDSC02994.jpgDSC02991.jpgDSC02992.jpg

Last edited:
In case you guys thought that everything I bought was at least 100 years old here is something more up to date. My new Ruger SR1911 with 4.25" barrel and bonded (meaning fake) ivory grips. I also got a few extra magazines. I love this pistol. So far it is 100% reliable with regular range ammo, self defense rounds and my own reloads. I own or have owned several 1911's and this one is as good out of the box as ones I have paid double the price (and more) for. It is dead nutz accurate and just feels solid. I highly recommend it. Also got a Galco Concealable belt holster and 1500 Hornady 230 gr. jacketed bullets to go with it. I have now totally blown my end of year bonus.

Some nice stuff so far this month. I picked up a relatively boring Ruger LC9 with a CT Laser. I picked it up from another member at a great price and had planned to eBay the laser, but after shooting a few hundred rounds over a couple of days, the laser has grown on me, so I'm keeping it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 523
Back
Top Bottom