• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help finding a first rifle.

I would stay away from the mp15-22 for home defense, reliability is not 100%, mag capacity is capped at 10 rounds and it's only .22lr.

If you like the .22 idea You'd be better served with a 10/22 with a pre ban hi cap. I think 4 seasons has them now, even with the mag you'd be out the door cheaper than the s&w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone for your replies! I'm very relieved I have so many options now. So I'm interested in getting an SKS with the Tapco magazines. Have anyone had any experiences with Tapco products?

Tapco is a very well know brand especially for the ak/ sks firearms. They make a great product for a very reasonable price.

Thanks again everyone for your replies! I'm very relieved I have so many options now. So I'm interested in getting an SKS with the Tapco magazines. Have anyone had any experiences with Tapco products?

If you're in Massachusetts and you want to use Tapco mags in an SKS, you're limited to 10 rounds. Honestly you're better off leaving the rifle as is and investing in stripper clips which can be loaded faster than any 10 round duck bill magazine change.

Pardon me if I sound ignorant, but why would one use a rifle for home defense unless perhaps a shotgun ?
The round will go through the BG, then the wall, perhaps through the neighbors wall, into the neighbor !
Trying to walk around and aim a rifle without bumping into things is yet another issue.

As a first rifle for fun, You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 with fiberoptic sights

Last edited:
Hi Robert, I would like a rifle over a shotgun because I think its more versatile, in case I need it outside of my home.

Hi Robert, I would like a rifle over a shotgun because I think its more versatile, in case I need it outside of my home.
Ok, I can see that, as long as you have a pistol for inside the home.
The accuracy you can get with a 10/22 is unbeatable at ta reasonable price, as long as you don't have to fend off a bunch of rhinos. :)
Everything is a compromise...

OP - don't worry. It won't be long until you have several of the firearms that were suggested in this thread.

Ask us how we know. [laugh]

Once you get the bug you will find yourself saving for your next acquisition.

Welcome to NES and I hope you enjoy your new hobby. Shoot often, shoot safe, and bring a friend shooting.

All the best

Thanks for the reply Ray, I shall just leave it as is then. What's a good reasonable price for an SKS nowadays?

A decent Chinese model from the batch of recent imports ill cost you about $325 and you can often find clean models in better condition in the classifieds for just under $400.

Like others said, a rifle isn't the best choice for home defense. If you definitely want one though and have a $400 budget, an SKS would be my choice.

Send me that $400 parts list... I"ll start ordering tomorrow.

New frontier complete lower 120$
Psa basic upper 200 ( I bought mine used so it was less)
Bcg-100$

Yes the rifle has been perfectly reliable, no it is not my go to or my home defense rifle.

Aznmunkay- if your near woburn and want to try it out feel free to pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would make it a memorable one, like a henry lever action with the brass body...

If you want to use it for HD, length and weight should be considered in addition to penetration.
The SKS is 44" long and weighs 8 pounds.
The Hi-Point carbine is 31" OAL and weighs 6-1/4 pounds.

If you want to use it for HD, length and weight should be considered in addition to penetration.
The SKS is 44" long and weighs 8 pounds.
The Hi-Point carbine is 31" OAL and weighs 6-1/4 pounds.

I agree...I love my SKS, but wouldn't have it as my "only" gun if I was looking for something for home defense. Too long, heavy, and I wouldn't want to shoot 7.62x39 at someone in my home
long video, sofast forward to 11:28 for result This is 7.62x39 at 230 yards into cinderblock

here's another one from 200' ... result. Through a gallon of water, a steel frying pan and 12" sold wood block

I wouldn't want to shoot that in any "suburban" home

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...I love my SKS, but wouldn't have it as my "only" gun if I was looking for something for home defense. Too long, heavy, and I wouldn't want to shoot 7.62x39 at someone in my home
long video, so I'll just get to hickock45's wall. This is 7.62x39 at 230 yards into cinderblock

[video]https://youtube/0ZbOiQGxF5M?t=11m28s[/video]
I wouldn't want to shoot that in any "suburban" home

Not only is the SKS long and heavy (and I love my yugo which is even longer and heavier) but it doesn't take detachable magazines (unless you go with the awkward duckbills or find one of the Chinese AK mag ones).

Looking for some entry level rifle advice myself and don't want to start a new thread. I have a complete ar lower that has been sitting around for some time now. Just looking for some input on this complete upper I found. I'm operating on a budget here so I would like to stay in the 300-400 range.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ick-side-upper-with-bcg-and-ch/category/4220/

I bought a very similar upper from them no issue. You'll need to have the flash hider replaced with a pinned and welded brake, and the bayonet lug removed.

Great deal in my opinion.

Do you live free?

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.
Does anyone?

To to answer your question seriously, no. I'm a ma resident.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a very similar upper from them no issue. You'll need to have the flash hider replaced with a pinned and welded brake, and the bayonet lug removed.

Great deal in my opinion.
Thanks! How much does the work usually cost in your experience?

After reading through most of this thread I decided to contribute my 2 cents.

Based on the OP's budget and experience, I would give another thumbs up to the Kel Tec Sub 2000.Before moving back to Mass I owned 2 different configurations (Glock 19 & Beretta 92) and loved them both. Put over 2000 rounds through each of them and only had a couple of hiccups with one of them early on while "breaking it in". Other than that, they were perfect. Although not "tack drivers" I could hit a tuna can lid (tacked to a stump) 4 out of 5 times (if it didn't fall off the stump) at 100 yards with the open sights they came with. I know some on this forum don't care for their sights but, aside from them being plastic, I found them to be more than passable.

Even this carbine though, might be a little over powered for home defense if the bedrooms in your house are in the line of fire or your neighbors are too close. The 9mm versions (recommended) hit like a point blank .357 mag at 50 yards.

Accurate, reliable, folds in half for storage/transport...priceless.

They can be hard to find if Kel Tec's annual production run ended more than a couple of months prior to your search. The GB posting that was offered up earlier in this thread ended without a bid and it had a $399 starting price. So I would guess they are available now.

They can be had in models that accept mags from Glock 17 & 19, S&W (can't remember which) and Beretta 92 (and 9000 I think). So if you think you might add a handgun to you collection, pick the right model and you'll be able to interchange mags between them.

Some find their ergonomics wanting. Short pull, cold metal stock, charging handle tough on the fingers...but there are cheap, effective accessories that take care of those issues. Some from KT, some after market.

Good Luck.

P.S.

KT warns against pulling the trigger while the carbine is disassembled. They say that if you do you'll need to send I back for repair...NOT TRUE! You can easily reset the trigger with a dowel with the gun in its" folded" state.

Last edited:
Start with a small, cheap caliber. Mosin Nagant I hear is a good starter [wink]

Or, go with the old standby, Ruger 10/22 [thumbsup]

Start with a small, cheap caliber. Mosin Nagant I hear is a good starter [wink]

Or, go with the old standby, Ruger 10/22 [thumbsup]

He also wants it for potential home defense. 7.62x54 is a non starter IMO. Not to mention the OAL of the Mosin Nagant.

Back
Top Bottom