• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Navy Shows Off Powerful New Laser Weapon

They cost way too much to bring back into service and operate. It's the Navy's plan to design and build ships that can be manned with smaller crews. Those new Stealth Destroyers are fully automated and require very small crews compared to other ships.

But do they have 16" guns?

They cost way too much to bring back into service and operate. It's the Navy's plan to design and build ships that can be manned with smaller crews. Those new Stealth Destroyers are fully automated and require very small crews compared to other ships.

But do they have 16" guns?

Directed energy Weapons (DEWs) have been around for a while. There's a chemical powered laser system available for ground security that can track and explode multiple inbound mortar rounds. This system was available to the Israelis during the Hezbollah missile attacks, but the opted not to use it as the chemical system was so hazardous no one wanted to deal with it.

How well do the laser weapons operate in smoke or through clouds?

The good ones just burn a hole thru the clouds, and adaptive optics correct for the distortions.

I am just wondering if they'll shoot their eyes out?

And that program has so many cost overruns that they could probably have kept two Iowas available for decades for the cost of the two they're going to build.

I am thinking about setting up a laser reloading station in my basement. Any advise?

I would go with the Dillon 8000L ( L for Laser don't get confused by the C or S model... common mistake). I'm a little disappointed in how it handles the iridium pellets but all and all it's a nice rig. And cheap at 8000 ED's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom