• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Walther PPS experience (many pics)

Good luck trying to find a dealer who will transfer it in state for you. Technically a NH gun is illegal in MA unless you bring it into the state having owned the gun already and you are now moving into MA.

The gun is not "illegal" period. Only the act of transferring it is, and only on the dealer- and at that, it's some kind of heavy civil infraction, not a felony like it is with non-roster guns. If an MA dealer transfers the free state version, they'd only be violating the AGs regs, which is a heavy civil infraction for the dealer. (Remember, the PPS is on the roster, so it's always compliant at the bottom tier, just not with the AGs regs except for the crappy MA version.).

I still agree with the sentiment though, good luck with that. It is easier to just buy one of the messed up MA ones and pay a gunsmith to have it repaired.

-Mike

The gun is not "illegal" period. Only the act of transferring it is, and only on the dealer- and at that, it's some kind of heavy civil infraction, not a felony like it is with non-roster guns. If an MA dealer transfers the free state version, they'd only be violating the AGs regs, which is a heavy civil infraction for the dealer. (Remember, the PPS is on the roster, so it's always compliant at the bottom tier, just not with the AGs regs except for the crappy MA version.).

I still agree with the sentiment though, good luck with that. It is easier to just buy one of the messed up MA ones and pay a gunsmith to have it repaired.

-Mike

Sorry - I mis-stated that. Should have said illegal to transfer. Thanks for correcting me.

There are - or at this point maybe the correct way to state it is: "were" dealers who would do out of state transfers on pistols. Of the two that I knew of I think one of them got pressure and stopped and the other one is going out of business (from what I have heard).

Sorry - I mis-stated that. Should have said illegal to transfer. Thanks for correcting me.

There are - or at this point maybe the correct way to state it is: "were" dealers who would do out of state transfers on pistols. Of the two that I knew of I think one of them got pressure and stopped and the other one is going out of business (from what I have heard).

If I'm not mistaken, it is only against the AG's "rules" for an FFL to sell a pistol like this (with a trigger <10lbs) as a brand new firearm. They can sell used ones all day that have 2pm triggers if they want.

Ah, I knew my thinking was flawed! That makes total sense. If you have a friend on NH who bought one there, and he wants to transfer it to you, it should be 100% legit.

In any case, thanks for all the replies guys!

Ah, I knew my thinking was flawed! That makes total sense. If you have a friend on NH who bought one there, and he wants to transfer it to you, it should be 100% legit.

I saw this this morning, and was waiting for someone to correct it. Since no one has stepped up, I'll make the attempt. Assuming you are talking about a private sale between you and your friend, federal law prohibits what you are suggesting. If you are in MA, and your friend is in NH, he cannot transfer the gun to you in a personal sale. He would have to have his FFL transfer it to your FFL.

See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)
(a) It shall be unlawful -

<snip>

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides . . .

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean private sale, but it was implied by omission.

In any case, the best course of action seems to be to get the part and have it installed.

I saw this this morning, and was waiting for someone to correct it. Since no one has stepped up, I'll make the attempt. Assuming you are talking about a private sale between you and your friend, federal law prohibits what you are suggesting. If you are in MA, and your friend is in NH, he cannot transfer the gun to you in a personal sale. He would have to have his FFL transfer it to your FFL.

See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)

So I managed to detail strip my PPS receiver and install the standard disconnector. Can anyone enlighten me as to how I reinstall the decocker and decocker spring? I'm stuck with a small pile of internal parts, and I'm a little hazy on how best to reassemble. Worst case scenario: please recommend someone on the North Shore who will put this thing back together for me, and I'll forfeit some man-points.

So I managed to detail strip my PPS receiver and install the standard disconnector. Can anyone enlighten me as to how I reinstall the decocker and decocker spring? I'm stuck with a small pile of internal parts, and I'm a little hazy on how best to reassemble. Worst case scenario: please recommend someone on the North Shore who will put this thing back together for me, and I'll forfeit some man-points.

Pics please

Another odd thing I noticed. I was dry firing the gun tonight, and now, everytime I rack the slide, the slide lock engages, and I have to disengage it to get the slide to go forward into battery. This didn't used to happen before I took the gun apart. I used to rack the slide and it would spring right back unless I pushed up the slide lock.

Anyone know why this might be happening now? Could I have done something in re-assembly, or is this a lube issue? Anyone else's gun do this?

thanks

Sorry if this comes across the wrong way but if it worked before you took it apart and it doesnt work right now (provided you have removed any empty magazines) then you screwed up the reassembly somewhere and you should disassemble it again. See if you jammed the slide lock lever return spring up in the wrong location. Happens a lot to people who are dis/reassembling their Glocks for the first time. Just a thought.

NRA Instructor
Defensive Pistol Instructor
Glock Armorer
GOAL/NRA

I can probably help out - I had trouble with this too.

First make sure the strut's spring is being held by the cuff just under the hook on the strut.

Next use the pictures in the original post to make sure the strut hook is facing the right way -- this is very important.

Push the strut arm in as straight at you can. Dont force it, but if you wiggle it around just the right way, it will slip into place. I actually put the strut in and pushed the pistol down onto a block of soft wood. Again, *not to force it* but to apply some gentle pressure while I wiggled the arm around slightly. It goes in there in an odd way, and I just had to fiddle with it to get it to work.

The last part that is easy to forget is to rehook the strut onto the decocker assembly. Its the reverse of step 9 from this page: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/55499-My-Walther-PPS-experience-(many-pics)/page5 There is a little arm on the decocker assembly that you push down and hook the strut onto.

...Hope that was at least a little helpful. That was by far the biggest pain in getting the PPS back together.

I can probably help out - I had trouble with this too.

First make sure the strut's spring is being held by the cuff just under the hook on the strut.

Next use the pictures in the original post to make sure the strut hook is facing the right way -- this is very important.

Push the strut arm in as straight at you can. Dont force it, but if you wiggle it around just the right way, it will slip into place. I actually put the strut in and pushed the pistol down onto a block of soft wood. Again, *not to force it* but to apply some gentle pressure while I wiggled the arm around slightly. It goes in there in an odd way, and I just had to fiddle with it to get it to work.

The last part that is easy to forget is to rehook the strut onto the decocker assembly. Its the reverse of step 9 from this page: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/55499-My-Walther-PPS-experience-(many-pics)/page5 There is a little arm on the decocker assembly that you push down and hook the strut onto.

...Hope that was at least a little helpful. That was by far the biggest pain in getting the PPS back together.

Thanks for this! I haven't sacked up and started back in on the reassembly, but I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. I think I'll probably need to order a new decocker spring from S&W/Walther, as mine has a slight kink in one coil from getting popped out of the chassis. Doh!

Hi folks, just picked up a PPS 9mm and before even firing it had the H disconnector replaced with the S disconnector. PPS fires fine, and worked well for the first few mags (slide locked back, etc.). After the 4th or 5th mag, the slide does not lock back upon empty mag anymore. I can pull the slide back with an empty mag and it locks, but it doesn't lock after firing the last round in the mag. I've tried lubing the slide at the range but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Apologies if this is a common issue with the PPS, just haven't been able to find a solution on the forum. (And no, I have not cleaned and lubed my mags x3 mags, but will do that before I hit the range again)

Last edited:
^ might be low power ammo. were you using Winchester White Box?

I can try that. I've been using Federal ~ 126 grain? at the range. I'll pick up some Winchester and see if it helps. Oddly though everything was fine for the first few mags implying that ammo may not be the problem. I think I will be cleaning out my mags first then trying a +126grain ammo such as Winchester. Thanks.

I had meant that some people find the WWB from Walmart to be a lower power. While having the power to get the spent shell extracted, but not enough to push the slide back enough to get it to latch. So it is not unusual for that problem with WWB. Most guns do have a break in period that commonly clear after a couple of hundred rounds. The WWB is 115 grain so you will have different results than the Federal.

I have resolved my problem. I had been playing with my grip and given the "S" in PPS, didn't have a lot of real estate to hold the pistol well (large hands). I think I was rubbing the slide or slide lock with my thumb(s). I've adjusted my grip and am more conscious of my finger placement now and have had no problems with the same ammo AE 9mm. All is good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Has anyone had a problem with their slide not releasing?

I brought my PPS to the range today, functioned great but after the last mag the slide would not release. I ended up having to use a flat head screw driver to pry the slide stop down.

It seems to be fine now, not sure if I should have it checked out by a smith though. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

I remember hearing some folks had issues with the slide locking back. I'm pretty sure it requires a trip back to S&W for a fix.

Try the S&W or Walther forums. I believe there is a thread about it on one of them.

I remember hearing some folks had issues with the slide locking back. I'm pretty sure it requires a trip back to S&W for a fix.

Try the S&W or Walther forums. I believe there is a thread about it on one of them.

Well, that sucks!

I just got it on a trade and broke it the first time out....

So I gave up on putting my PPS back together in July, and sent it off to a smith to have a trigger job done. Haven't gotten it back yet, plus the smith won't return my emails or calls. Should I be worried yet?

So I gave up on putting my PPS back together in July, and sent it off to a smith to have a trigger job done. Haven't gotten it back yet, plus the smith won't return my emails or calls. Should I be worried yet?

Ah, yah....... my trigger job to about 2 days. If he's not returning your calls I'd be worried.

Lucky guess, or is this SOP for him?

I've heard of similar issues recently. He did an M&P for me a few years ago and did a great job. I've heard that he won't work on them anymore and is quite rude about it. I've also heard about not returning phone calls and taking even longer than he used to to turn around work.

I've heard of similar issues recently. He did an M&P for me a few years ago and did a great job. I've heard that he won't work on them anymore and is quite rude about it. I've also heard about not returning phone calls and taking even longer than he used to to turn around work.

Well, that sucks. I just want my gun back! [crying]

11 days later - no response, and I'm starting to get more than a little concerned. At which point do I start taking action versus trying to track this guy down?

Back
Top Bottom