My Walther PPS experience (many pics)

Part number: 268 58 84 -- Disconnector

When I called to get mine I just asked for the Disconnector for a Walther PPS. They will send the Standard one.

The parts diagram used to be available on waltherusa.net but the site seems to be down.

Picked up a PPS today. Does anyone have an update on cost/availability of 7 and 8 round magazines?

I'll also be ordering the S disconnector so that I will no longer have to use vise-grip pliers to squeeze the trigger.

Chris

http://www.carlwalther.com/pps.htm

I would find it very unlikely if they did not have stock of mags.

2687852 Magazine, 6 Shots 9mm Pic $ 55.00
2687861 Magazine, 7 Shots 9mm Pic $ 55.00
2687879 Magazine, 8 Shots 9mm Pic $ 60.00

also a great selection of other PPS stuff... I spent way to much money when I went there one day....

Picked up a PPS today. Does anyone have an update on cost/availability of 7 and 8 round magazines

Tonight I went through the process of installing the Standard disconnector I ordered from S&W. I had some trouble getting out the rear split pin. I really really had to hammer at it to get it out.

Got the disconnector swapped out, put the take down lever back in, put in the front pin, and couldn't get the rear split pin back in. It hammered in pretty smoothly, but the last 1/8" would not budge at all. I kept at it, but it started deforming. Finally it started to split, now I have no clue what to do!! Any suggestions? Can I use pliers to squeeze it back into shape? Cut off the last 1/8", get a new one?

How are you supposed to drive a split pin back in?

Here is a picture

_MG_2879.JPG

Thanks

I was a bit disappointed with the results of putting in the S disconnector. Before I replaced it I used a fish scale and measured the H trigger pull at 16 lbs. Last night after putting in the S the trigger felt lighter, but only by a bit. I checked with the fish scale and confirmed that it was still breaking at 10-12 lbs.

Has anyone else verified the trigger pull with the S disconnector? Anything I need to do to bring it down to the previously mentioned 6 lbs?

I ordered my disconnector today... I have recruited some help that are mechanically inclined so hopefully things will go well. I'm not expecting miricals but I bet my current setup is at least 15lbs if not more. I do plan on measuring it.

If all does not go well I will be buying the german version of the PPS and sucking up the price tag.... But look on the bright side NES members might see a nicely priced PPS with night sites in the forsale section :)

Could you give me the phone number? I think I wrote the info down somewhere.

Ok the part number is 268 58 84, and the phone number I believe is 1-800-372-6454 with a cost of around 8.00 or so and shipping should bring it to around 13.10. I'm going to call tomorrow. ymmv

Tommy

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed with the results of putting in the S disconnector. Before I replaced it I used a fish scale and measured the H trigger pull at 16 lbs. Last night after putting in the S the trigger felt lighter, but only by a bit. I checked with the fish scale and confirmed that it was still breaking at 10-12 lbs.

Has anyone else verified the trigger pull with the S disconnector? Anything I need to do to bring it down to the previously mentioned 6 lbs?

When i got mine put in the difference was night and day. Although i never did get a measurement.

I called S&W and they sent me two new split pins for free. Very nice of them. When I remove the bad one I'm thinking of opening the gun back up, removing everything and polishing all the trigger components. Has anyone else done this? Any feedback on how it affects the trigger pull, cleanness of the break?

Another odd thing I noticed. I was dry firing the gun tonight, and now, everytime I rack the slide, the slide lock engages, and I have to disengage it to get the slide to go forward into battery. This didn't used to happen before I took the gun apart. I used to rack the slide and it would spring right back unless I pushed up the slide lock.

Anyone know why this might be happening now? Could I have done something in re-assembly, or is this a lube issue? Anyone else's gun do this?

thanks

Just installed my S disconnector. Took less than an hour and I have 0 gunsmithing experience.

The break is definitely lighter (between 6-8 pounds I'm guessing), but still feels gritty.

Certainly a great improvement, but the trigger is still my biggest gripe with this gun.

Another odd thing I noticed. I was dry firing the gun tonight, and now, everytime I rack the slide, the slide lock engages, and I have to disengage it to get the slide to go forward into battery. This didn't used to happen before I took the gun apart. I used to rack the slide and it would spring right back unless I pushed up the slide lock.

Anyone know why this might be happening now? Could I have done something in re-assembly, or is this a lube issue? Anyone else's gun do this?

thanks

Unless it's something as obvious as having an empty mag inserted, I have no idea.

I'm having a problem with ammo in my PPS. Anything that is 115 grain causes nothing but problems - either the brass doesn't eject, or it ejects but no new round moves into the chamber.

147 grain is fine - yeah, my JHP, because *that's* what I want to use at the range for practice [hmmm]

Any ideas? It's got only about 100 rounds through it (I know, I know, had to get the trigger job done and then find some time).

I'm having a problem with ammo in my PPS. Anything that is 115 grain causes nothing but problems - either the brass doesn't eject, or it ejects but no new round moves into the chamber.

What brands of ammo have you tried? Try Win WWB and Fed AE... Did you
clean the gun out? 100 rounds isn't even warming that thing up yet.

-Mike

What brands of ammo have you tried? Try Win WWB and Fed AE... Did you
clean the gun out? 100 rounds isn't even warming that thing up yet.

I've tried both Fed AE and Remington. I know it's not a lot of rounds but having to manually intervene between every shot doesn't exactly make for getting lots of lead downrange.

I had the problem right out of the box but no, I haven't cleaned it yet. That's definitely next, probably should have before I put in the first loaded magazine.

This thread has some great info and pics.... thanks for posting. I am considering one of these as my first handgun in 9mm, along with several other guns. How bad you all say the trigger is will definitely be a consideration of mine now...

Keep in mind this is primarily a carry gun, I doubt highly you will be shooting the BG at significant distances. At less than 10ft or so I think trigger weight combined with stress adrenaline in your moment of needed self defense, trigger weight will be the last of your problems, hopefully we never will know..

However I did recently do the disconnect replacement on mine and damn do I like it allot more:) And the stock trigger is BAD. I put 15#'s of weight on mine and still not trip...

If you are near HSC send me a PM and I would be more than willing to let you put a few hundred rounds down the pipe of my PPS with trigger "job" and night sights.

How bad you all say the trigger is will definitely be a consideration of mine now...

Keep in mind this is primarily a carry gun, I doubt highly you will be shooting the BG at significant distances. At less than 10ft or so I think trigger weight combined with stress adrenaline in your moment of needed self defense, trigger weight will be the last of your problems, hopefully we never will know..

I still wouldn't carry an M+P or a PPS with the neutered MA triggers. The stock triggers on the MA versions of these guns are so bad it is clearly a liability, IMO. Not to mention if you own other guns, developing a coping mechanism for these triggers is probably not going to be helpful WRT transitioning from one gun to another. (maybe I just suck at shooting pistols, but I've always found that if I have an auto with a bad trigger in the mix, things get hairy).

ced012384 said:
This thread has some great info and pics.... thanks for posting. I am considering one of these as my first handgun in 9mm, along with several other guns. How bad you all say the trigger is will definitely be a consideration of mine now...

Just factor the cost of trigger job into the gun price and move on with life... it's easier that way. [laugh] Another option is picking up a lightly used gun on an FTF or something that was already fixed or has the "normal" trigger.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom