• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Walther PPS experience (many pics)

SJan

NES Member
I intend for this to be a review of the Walther PPS 9mm I picked up today. As of this moment I have not yet fired it, I will of coarse post an up date after a range trip this weekend. Here are some photos comparing the size of the PPS, all taken with its 7 round mag.

Over Smith & Wesson M&P 9, full size
PPSMPs.jpg

PPSMP2s.jpg

Under a Kel Tec P-11
PPSP11s.jpg

PPSP112s.jpg

Under Walther P22
PPSP22s.jpg

PPSP222s.jpg

I hope to replace the Kel tec with the new PPS as summer CCW. In comparison to the Kel tec the walther seems to be far superior in fit and finish.

I feel it is very important that the controls on a small handgun need to be easily manipulated. I immediately noticed how well I can grip the slide on the PPS, between the heel of my hand and fingertips to rack the slide. You can see how the slide serrations on the PPS cover a wide area, much more favorable than the Kel tec's. The PPS magazine release, although not the most common push button style, is also large and easy to use with either thumb, index or middle finger.

The kel tecs trigger is one that is very long, and gets heavier throughout its pull. The first pulls of the PPS trigger were very gritty, I've already dry fired about 100 times and it is noticeably less now. It doesn't seem like a bad trigger, but one well suited for a defensive pistol.

but to those others with a PPS in MA...

PPSSdisonnector.jpg

I will follow up with a range report this weekend.

Interesting. Nice pick up!

I've never liked the looks of Walthers...... but I have to say this PPS has my interest.

Looking forward to the range report!

Im considering buying one but i have read on a few different sites that they had a problem with the slide locking open because the internal spring would come loose. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed?

Range report

My new PPS came to the range today. Fired 150 rounds of Remington UMC, 50 Winchester white box, and two magazines of Hornady Tap. All without a hiccup. The slide locked back on an empty magazine every time. Point of impact was 1 or 2 inches low at 7 yards, but very consistent. It fits well in my hand, I used the smaller of the two back strap sizes. Recoil was snappy but quite manageable. Overall I am very pleased with its performance, I look forward to shooting it more and eventually getting a good holster and carrying it.

My new PPS came to the range today. Fired 150 rounds of Remington UMC, 50 Winchester white box, and two magazines of Hornady Tap. All without a hiccup. The slide locked back on an empty magazine every time. Point of impact was 1 or 2 inches low at 7 yards, but very consistent. It fits well in my hand, I used the smaller of the two back strap sizes. Recoil was snappy but quite manageable. Overall I am very pleased with its performance, I look forward to shooting it more and eventually getting a good holster and carrying it.

Overall would you say it was well worth the purchase?

I shot mine today. I put about 300 rounds through it of all types of 9mm: S&B (warm), UMC (weak), some light handloads, some very strong handloads, and some Federal Hydrashock.

It fed and ejected everything without a hiccup, the slide locked back at the end of every mag. The accuracy was OK, but....

It has the worst trigger of any gun I own. It's so bad that I have a blister on my index finger from the little lever in the middle of the trigger. I've been shooting Glocks for years and that little lever has never bothered me, the PPS gave me a friggin' blister.

SJan, I noticed in your pics that your disconnector is marked with an "S". Mine has an "H". Could this be "standard" and "heavy"? I already have another disconnector on order, we'll see if that improves it.

Eddie, i noticed the same thing with my safety stop.... I have had firearms with this feature but not were as noticable as this one.. it seems to pinch my finger every time i pull the trigger. I still love the gun though...

I was at Collectors and got to check out a PPS for myself...

1. Wow... it was thin... and it fit my hand really well! I thought it was going to be too thin to be comfortable. But it felt NICE.

2. Fit and finish looked very nice.

3. WORST trigger I've EVER felt in ANY handgun EVER. Holy crap. I don't know how anyone's going to be accurate with this pistol. You practically have to YANK to get the trigger to break. Unbelievable. I only dry fired it twice... and promptly gave it back to Jack. Sheesh. Nice pistol... but would never consider carrying that without a SERIOUS trigger job by Derr or LaRocca.

[grin]

I was at Collectors and got to check out a PPS for myself...

1. Wow... it was thin... and it fit my hand really well! I thought it was going to be too thin to be comfortable. But it felt NICE.

2. Fit and finish looked very nice.

3. WORST trigger I've EVER felt in ANY handgun EVER. Holy crap. I don't know how anyone's going to be accurate with this pistol. You practically have to YANK to get the trigger to break. Unbelievable. I only dry fired it twice... and promptly gave it back to Jack. Sheesh. Nice pistol... but would never consider carrying that without a SERIOUS trigger job by Derr or LaRocca.

[grin]

I agree. I actually purchased one with the idea that I will improve the trigger one way or another. The irony here is that the awful trigger allegedly is a consumer safety feature. I think the trigger is so bad that it renders the gun less safe, not more, as it makes accurate shooting much more challenging.

Last edited:
The Mass PPS has a different trigger right? I've had a PPS for a while now, and I don't think the trigger is any worse than any glock I've ever shot. I think the H and the S mark tells you if your gun has the magazine safety (I think it's in the manual). I'd like to try the Mass version at the next get together to compare.

Unche Fester, yes the MA version has a far worse trigger than the standard PPS, The H or S marking is a heavy or standard disconnecter. The marking for a magazine safety is a M, and photos of this are in the manual.

The standard PPS has a 6.5 pound trigger, the MA version is probably well over 10.

The PPS was designed to have a 6.5 pound trigger, heavy enough to be safe, but light enough to be accurate. Changing that designto a MA required 10 pounder resulted in a terrible trigger.

Once you buy a gun in MA with a 10+ trigger, it can be changed, modified, parts replaced, whatever it takes to get the trigger to break however you like, and its all perfectly legal.

For instance my S&W M&P, before I even shot it I researched what parts are required to make it a standard trigger and ordered them. I shot that gun exactly 50 rounds with the MA 10 pound trigger, then swapped the parts. A expensive trigger job by a gunsmith is not necessary, just take it apart, and put it back together with a few replacement parts.

Has anyone noticed on the bottom of the upper reciever where the pin strikes the primer... along the middle bottom of the frame, that they have a LARGE amount of brass shaving there....

Shot mine for the first time last night. I put about 200 Winchester White box through it and some Hydroshock. Like the others It seemed to function well. I was a bit weary at first as not only was the trigger pull the hardest I've ever felt but the slide is a bit tight.

There were people at the range when I got there so I couldn't do 7 yards. I basically was at 50 feet trying to get the feel of a new gun. By the last 50 rnds I was pretty well on target. It seems to be low.

While cleaning today I picked up my SW40VE which everyone complains about the trigger and it felt like a dream.

I'm VERY interested in hearing how the new parts make it feel. It's night and day from the Glock 19 with a 3.5 connector. One thing I did notice was with the bigger grip piece it almost felt like it was moving in my hand and almost pinching me.

I do like it, with a normal trigger it will be a great addition.

Edit: And yes, I did notice a larger amount of brass then I have ever seen on anything else.

One thing I did notice was with the bigger grip piece it almost felt like it was moving in my hand and almost pinching me.

I got a blister on my trigger finger after switching to the larger palm swell.

Edit: And yes, I did notice a larger amount of brass then I have ever seen on anything else.

Yup. Me too. I'm not worried about it though.

When you get your disconnector and if you feel up to it, I'd be interested in the step by step instructions with pictures. I haven't found anything online anywhere that explains the removal of parts past the field strip for cleaning.

I can make assumptions based on the drawing and experience wit Glocks but they would just all be assumption.

One other thing to note. I was looking for holsters for this. I've found 2 things that work so far that aren't made for it and one that kind of was.

1. Gould & Goodrich Pancake holster for the Sig 226 works well. The holster is about 1 1/2 inches too long for it but everything else seems to fit and line up well.

2. Don Hume XD subcompact JIT slide holster fits nice. There is a little room at the barrel but no wiggle or anything.

3. Elite Nylon. Works well for SOB carry.

I'm not a big fan of JIT for carry but there are times when it comes in handy. Also the Full Pancake of the G&G has it's carry moments too. I wish Roy Baker was still around to make a nice Roy's Leather Pancake holster for it. Man I love those and it's hard sifting through all the imitations to find one that is close to what Roy used to make. Everything is always using too thick or stiff leather.

When you get your disconnector and if you feel up to it, I'd be interested in the step by step instructions with pictures. I haven't found anything online anywhere that explains the removal of parts past the field strip for cleaning.

I can make assumptions based on the drawing and experience wit Glocks but they would just all be assumption.

One other thing to note. I was looking for holsters for this. I've found 2 things that work so far that aren't made for it and one that kind of was.

1. Gould & Goodrich Pancake holster for the Sig 226 works well. The holster is about 1 1/2 inches too long for it but everything else seems to fit and line up well.

2. Don Hume XD subcompact JIT slide holster fits nice. There is a little room at the barrel but no wiggle or anything.

3. Elite Nylon. Works well for SOB carry.

I'm not a big fan of JIT for carry but there are times when it comes in handy. Also the Full Pancake of the G&G has it's carry moments too. I wish Roy Baker was still around to make a nice Roy's Leather Pancake holster for it. Man I love those and it's hard sifting through all the imitations to find one that is close to what Roy used to make. Everything is always using too thick or stiff leather.

Comptac makes hoslters for the PPS. I have an MTAC holster and purchased another plastic body from them for the PPS and it fits nicely. I really like the MTAC for inside-the-waistband carry.

Back
Top Bottom