• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Walther PPS experience (many pics)

For what it's worth I've owned my PPS since the day they were released. it was the first one that hit my gunstore (a huge dealer) and it went from the Brown truck to me withou ever leaving the box. It is one of my favorite carry guns and it has been 100% reliable for thousands of rounds with everything I've fed through it form bulk UMC to +P TAP 9mm which is what I normally carry in it. It is a dream gun to carry and my prefered method is pocket holster but I do carry it OWB a lot too.

DSC03101.jpg

50+ rounds through mine today still havent had a problem with maybe 400-600rnds, i am noticing some finish is wearing off the top squared part of the barrel.

Figured I'd bring this one back up. Just did mine tonight, very noticeable difference. Was going to go to the range, but the roads are too crappy on the way up there, and my truck registration ran out over the weekend [thinking]. Saved $80+ by doing it myself. I can honestly say if I were to do this job for a friend I'd ask for $50+the disconnector. Not an easy feat, this forum is a hugely invaluable resource!

Last edited:
Does anybody have an archive of the pictures from post #47? I finally got the S disconnector for my dad's PPS and am trying to judge whether I will do this myself or pay someone to have it done, but without pictures it's hard to say.

Do a google search. There is a thread out there somewhere that shows how to disassemble the gun. While you're at it, I would polish everything as that will make the trigger better. Might as well if you're going to take the effort (it's not the easiest gun) to break it down.

Do a google search. There is a thread out there somewhere that shows how to disassemble the gun. While you're at it, I would polish everything as that will make the trigger better. Might as well if you're going to take the effort (it's not the easiest gun) to break it down.

Well, this is the thread that has the disassembly instructions. But I got it done, and recorded a video of the process. I'll post it up in a few days when I have the time to edit it together.

Thanks for this awesome thread! I know it is ancient, but I just found it and read it all the way through practically, as I'm thinking of getting one. So much good info here!

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I did the disconnector swap. Its actually not bad at all if you know how to strip Glocks or M&P's.

Anyways, after putting in the standard disconnector I had issues with the trigger not wanting to reset.

I put in 300+ rounds and while it got better, it was still having issues resetting from time to time.

I put the heavy disconnector back in and it worked like a charm.

Are there any other springs that should be replaced when swapping in the standard disconnector? The video didn't mention anything.

Maybe the disconnector is bent, or slightly off?

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I did the disconnector swap. Its actually not bad at all if you know how to strip Glocks or M&P's.

Anyways, after putting in the standard disconnector I had issues with the trigger not wanting to reset.

I put in 300+ rounds and while it got better, it was still having issues resetting from time to time.

Are there any other springs that should be replaced when swapping in the standard disconnector? The video didn't mention anything.

Well I tip my hat to you then, because I found the experience to be nothing even remotely like detail stripping a glock or m&p.

Well to me disassembling a PPS is a nightmare compared to any other striker fired design. there are probably a dozen areas that can be screwed up. I did one H -> S disconnector swap and hope to never have to do that again.

The fact that yours is not reseting is almost certainly secondary to incorrect re-assembly, again highlighting the complexity of its design. IMO I would get your PPS to a gunsmith who is has experience w PPS. Would recommend Tim Gostling at Gartman Arms in Wrentham.

Did you get a factory new disconnector? You confirmed it's the S model, not H?

I guess my assembly/disassembly went smoother than most. The only issue is having that spring on the left side of the frame come out, that can be a problem. Maybe I should have said if you know the "overall principals" of disassembling a Glock/M&P or something like that...

Yes its a factory new S disconnector. It says "S" on the tab.

Keep in mind, its maybe not resetting once out of every 20 rounds fired or so. Its not constant. When it does not reset, if I nudge the slide over with my thumb, the cruciform will click forward and reset.

I wonder if the S disconnector is bent or is defective in some way. Maybe its rubbing on the trigger bar and hindering reset.

Once the H disconnector went back in all is well, no problems.

I might get another disconnector and try again.

Well to me disassembling a PPS is a nightmare compared to any other striker fired design. there are probably a dozen areas that can be screwed up. I did one H -> S disconnector swap and hope to never have to do that again.

The fact that yours is not reseting is almost certainly secondary to incorrect re-assembly, again highlighting the complexity of its design. IMO I would get your PPS to a gunsmith who is has experience w PPS. Would recommend Tim Gostling at Gartman Arms in Wrentham.

Did you get a factory new disconnector? You confirmed it's the S model, not H?

Last edited:
are you nudging the slide forward to help it reset? if so your striker could be bound up on something. usually just crap accumulated in the striker channel. this happens w glocks fairly frequently.

if you're having to push the slide to the side then i would be more concerned w your connector being out of spec, or some other more fundamental issue that will require some diagnosis.

Sorry for the late reply.

I swapped out the trigger connector bar and all is well. I could see where it was rubbing on the frame. Looks like it was doing that prior to me swapping the disconnector.

I would imagine that the heavier disconnector has enough force to reset the trigger regardless of the connector spec, but the S disconnector could not overcome it?

Back
Top Bottom