• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Walther PPS experience (many pics)

I tried doing this myself and while frustrating I was close to completion when I noticed the retainer spring not seating right. I stopped there for now not sure if the spring is now tweaked. So I have a bag of parts sitting for another try when its quiet around here again.

Tommy

Greg Derr did the work on my PPS. I forget exactly what he charged for the trigger work as I had a few other things done at the same time, but it was roughly in line with the M&P prices. Trigger is sweet now. Up there with the the best of the other striker fired pistols I have tried.

Keep in mind this is primarily a carry gun, I doubt highly you will be shooting the BG at significant distances. At less than 10ft or so I think trigger weight combined with stress adrenaline in your moment of needed self defense, trigger weight will be the last of your problems, hopefully we never will know..
True, however for me as my first handgun it would be a dual duty both range and carry (eventually) gun... and I would like it to shoot well in order to allow extensive practice...

I'd like to get my hands around one of these to see how it feels. I know the thin profile would likely jive well with my girlish hands.
Just factor the cost of trigger job into the gun price and move on with life... it's easier that way. [laugh] Another option is picking up a lightly used gun on an FTF or something that was already fixed or has the "normal" trigger.
I think used would be preferred in that case for me... but it seems many of the asking prices in the classifieds are unreasonable and close to retail cost... let the low-balling commence.

Night Sights

I just added night sights to my 9mm PPS. I got the sights from Earl's Repair Service, part no. 2679696. These are green tritium sights, dot front, two-dot rear. The front is a #4 and the rear is a #2. The sights are Walther branded, and seem to be made for the PPS. They are about as bright in the dark as those standard on a Sig with nice white outlines. They match the design and size of the stock PPS sights. The front is secured with a small flat head screw (I used a little medium-strength loctite). The rear drifts out left to right, and the new sight drifts in right to left. I used a brass punch to drift out the old sight and to drift in the new one.

I brought my PPS to David Santurri yesterday to be put back together and checked out. I only had the slide release and spring not installed but the trigger stopped reseting so off to david it went. I had a call at home before I even made it back that it was complete. Today I went back and picked it up and will try to get to the range in the next few days. I had already installed the new disconnector but wasn't sure of my work so I decided to have a pro look it over. Money well spent in my opinion.

Tommy

Greg Derr did the work on my PPS. I forget exactly what he charged for the trigger work as I had a few other things done at the same time, but it was roughly in line with the M&P prices. Trigger is sweet now. Up there with the the best of the other striker fired pistols I have tried.

Greg told me Saturday that he won't do PPS trigger jobs anymore. Too much work

I took my PPS out yesterday and all was great until the slide locked back. After around 50 rounds at the end a full magazine the slide locked back as usual but would not release. So now it is stuck locked back with a trip to S&W most likely in its future. I did a search and there seems to be some similar complaints with earlier versions.
On the disconnector side of things the trigger pull is much improved.

Tommy

The same thing happened to my PPS right out of the box and at 48 rounds (slide lock failure). Just curious, once you have the slide fixed, will your confidence in the gun change? That is, will you still trust it as a carry piece, or will you be concerned that it would fail again at a critical moment when you need it?

I got the PPS back last month from S&W and put 100 rounds of Winchester White Box through it today with no problems. Man is this thing sweet with the standard disconnector. They had to change the Slide Stop Spring but everything else was fine. I also brought my Kahr PM9 and put 150 rounds through it. Both are pretty close to the same size but the PPS's new disconnector makes this not much of a comparison. The Kahr has a very long trigger pull but it's still a very nice pistol. I guess they are both keepers.

Last edited:
I traded in my Glock 22 for a 9 mm PPS last week. The trigger has to have work. I'm going to get the disconnect changed out. Despite having to yank the trigger, it was pretty accurate. Bullseyes and a bit to the left, which makes sense - jerking the trigger.

The exposed head of the guide rod has a little nick or scallop cut out of it. I thought it was a defect until I saw interweb photos of other PPS'es with the same thing. It doesn't seem to have a function. Does anybody have any idea why it's there. Just curious.

The exposed head of the guide rod has a little nick or scallop cut out of it. I thought it was a defect until I saw interweb photos of other PPS'es with the same thing. It doesn't seem to have a function. Does anybody have any idea why it's there. Just curious.

I know exactly what you mean. My PPS has it, and so does my Walther P99c. I also don't know why it is there.

I know exactly what you mean. My PPS has it, and so does my Walther P99c. I also don't know why it is there.

All I can think of is that it's part of the manufacturing process, maybe due to extracting the piece from some type of device.

I ordered that disconnector today. $13.60 with shipping due in a week. This gun is wonderful, it fits my hand beautifully, and it handles the recoil great. But that trigger renders it completely impractical without a reduction.

Last edited:
I had the disconnecter swapped out on my PPS to the standard one and it is very nice to shoot now. I was hitting high and to the left with it with the 10.5lb trigger and brought my tools with me to sight it in once I had the trigger done. To my surprise it was dead on. I guess I just tweaked the pistol inadvertently because of the heavy pull. BTW, Midway has been getting 8-Round mags in and selling them for fairly good prices lately. I just got one for $44 shipped to my door after 10% birthday discount.

I also didn't like the original trigger on my PPS. With the heavy trigger pull I was pulling the gun down and shooting low. My brother and I installed a new disconnector and what a difference. Now the gun is accurate as can be. Made the gun and the extra effort worth while. I still choose to carry my PM9, but the PPS is my home protection and carry back-up.

yak, not to go way off topic here, but why do you choose to carry the PM9 instead of the PPS? I have made the same choice.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

yak, not to go way off topic here, but why do you choose to carry the PM9 instead of the PPS? I have made the same choice.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Let me start to answer this question saying the PPS is a great gun. The PM9 is smaller and 9oz lighter making it easier and more comfortable to conceal. The PM9 is also so much simpler. The PPS has a very complex trigger and safety lock system. Its just more to go wrong. Now with that being said, I have never had any issue with either the PPS or the PM9. Both have been very reliable and no jams ever!!!

hi,

anyone else do it? besides EddieCoyle???? i've read the threads using the search feature which brought me here

i consider myself "Glock Savvy" - how Glock is it to change out the disconnector on the PPS???

I shot mine today. I put about 300 rounds through it of all types of 9mm: S&B (warm), UMC (weak), some light handloads, some very strong handloads, and some Federal Hydrashock.

It fed and ejected everything without a hiccup, the slide locked back at the end of every mag. The accuracy was OK, but....

It has the worst trigger of any gun I own. It's so bad that I have a blister on my index finger from the little lever in the middle of the trigger. I've been shooting Glocks for years and that little lever has never bothered me, the PPS gave me a friggin' blister.

SJan, I noticed in your pics that your disconnector is marked with an "S". Mine has an "H". Could this be "standard" and "heavy"? I already have another disconnector on order, we'll see if that improves it.

hi,

anyone else do it? besides EddieCoyle???? i've read the threads using the search feature which brought me here

i consider myself "Glock Savvy" - how Glock is it to change out the disconnector on the PPS???

And by do it you mean disconnector swap VS . hitting it?? [smile]

IIRC more than a few have done the swap. Personally, while I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, I was able to follow the write up instructions and successfully swap out the part. Took me little over an hour, as I was in no rush.

It was a somewhat challenging task no doubt for myself at least, in the end I have a WAY better trigger. I would say it is 100% worth it. In the end if you screw it up bring it to a gunsmith and I'm sure spending $ will fix your mistakes, and take a point or two off your "man card";)

I did it and consider myself Glock savvy as well. It was a lot harder than changing the trigger bar on a Glock, but manageable it you took your time.

hi,

It is not the easiest job, but if you take your time you'll get through it just fine. It should take about 60-90 minutes. You'll understand what I mean about being overly complicated once you get into it. Good luck!![smile]

Earl need,s to stop his sillyness..... this pistol only Carry's a different importers stamp...his ays Earl,s ours say S&W...same gun top to bottom...is the box Earl offer diffrent...yup it is ...but that is it....must be nice to pick and choose who he will service and what he will service...I would do more with him but he is just to difficult to deal with.

Hey Guys,

I am considering a PPS. I want my wife to be able to shoot it, so the hee-man trigger would have to go right away. Wouldn't it be easier to buy the gun on NH and have it transferred? For those of us not looking forward to taking a new gun apart, the $30-40 transfer fee may be well worth it.

Thoughts?

I swapped mine. It kind of sucked but it was doable by an ham handed oaf like me. So I'd guess anyone could do it faster and cleaner than I.

Hey Guys,

I am considering a PPS. I want my wife to be able to shoot it, so the hee-man trigger would have to go right away. Wouldn't it be easier to buy the gun on NH and have it transferred? For those of us not looking forward to taking a new gun apart, the $30-40 transfer fee may be well worth it.

Thoughts?

Good luck trying to find a dealer who will transfer it in state for you. Technically a NH gun is illegal in MA unless you bring it into the state having owned the gun already and you are now moving into MA.

Back
Top Bottom