• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Trip to the Gun Shop.

blindndead

NES Member
Sucked, I walk in and it was a huge bullshit session. OK I said to myself no big deal I will hang out and wait and see if someone would ask me if I need any help or have any questions. Nope I guess not so I asked if I could see the Beretta 92 his reply was whats the matter is the glass dirty. At this point I wanted to tell him to go F*%K your hand. So he let me see the firearm and started to tell me about the product at this point I really didnt care to listen to what he had to say after that little comment he threw at me. I placed it down on the counter and said have a nice day and walked out. I dont think I will be going back to that dealer any time soon. Is there a good online directory for firearms shops? I need a new place to go thanks.

It was Richie's Sporting Supply in Westport. the firist time I went in there was in Oct with my friend and my girl we had a lot of fun talking to the owner I told him I would come back when I got my permit he said cant wait see you then.

I would find another shop after that too. [crying]

There is a gun shop practically down the street from me that I refuse to go to for similar yet somewhat different reasons.

Instead I drive a half an hour up to Northeast Trading Company in North Attleboro. I have nothing but good to say about them. (http://www.northeasttrading.com/)

Sucked, I walk in and it was a huge bullshit session. OK I said to myself no big deal I will hang out and wait and see if someone would ask me if I need any help or have any questions. Nope I guess not so I asked if I could see the Beretta 92 his reply was whats the matter is the glass dirty.

Hes used that one on me plenty of times. [laugh] Sometimes its a battle of one liners just to get him to get serious.
Richie has a sense of humor thats not for everyone. Almost anyone and everyone gets their balls busted when they stop in, I still get it. He's a nice guy to deal with once you get to know him and get used to the way the shop works. When I first started going there after he had been open for a few months, he told me it was purely a hobby and he was just doing it for fun. When it stopped being fun and turned into a regular shop with regular work, he'd close up.
Hence the old timers that hang around and the long stories while you wait to check out a gun. If you want a more no nonsense deal, talk to Gordon (the big bald guy that works there). Hes more serious and straight forward when dealing with customers.
Its gotta be something about the area because I remember when I was a kid my Father and I used to go into Bob's Gun Shop in Westport a few miles from Richie's. There was a sign hanging up that said If you're in a hurry you're in the wrong place. I memorized that sign because I stood there for what seemed like hours waiting for my Father to do business and check out guns.

Hes used that one on me plenty of times. [laugh]
If you want a more no nonsense deal, talk to Gordon (the big bald guy that works there). Hes more serious and straight forward when dealing with customers.
Yea I saw that guy when I first walked in but when he was done talikng to a customer he sat down in the back room. I dont know maybe I will give it anothet try. He was real nice to talk to the firist time we met. That comment just cought me off gaurd.

Like others here have said

I live about five miles from Richie's. He can be abrasive and you have to get used to it. If you can't take it then I would find another place. This really is just a hobby for him. There are a lot of locals that hang out there and trade jabs with him. They do not go out of there way to sell things. If you are looking for a better a place I would go to northeast trading. They have a better selection too. Actually I was there this morning with a friend.

Richies is what it is. If you are looking for customer service you are in the wrong place. But he has said when it gets to be too much work and hassle like the MA regs he will just fold up shop. The problem is he really is the only place in town now. Try NE Traders you won't be disappointed. It was nothing personal against you, just the way it operates.

Thats just Richie's sense of humor. He comes off with the sarcasm a lot of people take as rude. He is actually a great guy to deal with. The 1st time I went there was a Wednesday (which he is closed on), said I was just there looking around, and he opened up just for me to poke around. I have since bought a number of guns from him. I'd give him another try, and get ready for a ball busting[grin]

Ok, I have to chime in about Richie's. I have an old 1969 grade I Browning .22lr semi auto rifle that has never liked hollow point ammunition. My dad purchased the rifle new in 1970 so I know the history of my hand me down. Anyway, I called Richie's looking for CCI Mini-Mag FMJ .22lr ammo, not really a big deal since I used to purchase it at Bob's all the time (not a big fan of Brian who worked at Bob's but that's another story). Anyway, I spoke with someone at Richie's (whose named escapes me) and inquired about the ammo explaining my reasons as I did. The guy curtly informed me that my rifle didn’t need FMJ ammunition and the CCI Mini-Mag hollow point .22lr he had in stock would work just fine. I was curious to hear how he came to his conclusion based on my phone call. He informed me that he was a retired “Failure Analysis Engineer” and it was impossible for my rifle’s failure to feed hollow point ammunition to be an ammunition problem. It had to be the rifle. He then explained, in detail, his background and how many times he had seen similar problems on other semi-auto rifles. He had been able to solve everyone’s problem so mine shouldn’t be remarkable. He told me to drop the rifle off and he would take a look at it and let me know what’s wrong with it. To his credit however he did say that he wouldn’t charge me for his service. That was a good thing because I had just finished replacing all the worn parts and knew from knowledge and experience that it just didn’t like hollow point ammunition. Show of hands here, how many of you have a finicky firearm?
Long story short, and his wasn’t a short story, I think I left me ear on the phone that day. He talked, and talked, and talked, and talked. If I hadn’t interrupted him I would have known his life’s story. It doesn’t surprise me to hear that the shop is more of a sewing circle.
You certainly can’t say that he gentleman I spoke with wasn’t overly helpful, just the opposite. Needless to say, I did find my FMJ CCI Mini-Mag .22lr. Thank God I did otherwise I might have just brought my rifle to Richie’s and been trapped in the land of talk your ear off.

I live about five miles from Richie's. He can be abrasive and you have to get used to it. If you can't take it then I would find another place. This really is just a hobby for him. I would go to northeast trading. They have a better selection too.
It was nothing personal against you, just the way it operates.

Yea I got that hobby story from him when we first met in Oct. I talked to him for a good hour or so. I can take fooling around just as much as anyone but it just seemed to me like he didnt want to be bothered with. Iam shure it was nothing personal and If that is the way things go at his shop fine he is the owner I wont hold that against him he can do whatever he wants. Where is NE trading?

Yup, I've had the same thing happen to me once, and I've seen it happen to other poeple more than it should. The "Beat it kid. Can't you see I'm busy." attitude. You would think he would be more than happy to have a "new shooter" in his store. When I first got my permit I must have dropped $500-$600 in "other" stuff (bullets, holsters, cleaning stuff, and so on). On top of the price of the gun.

If your up for the ride, Four Seasons in Woburn is the place to go. The prices are real good, and they don't treat you like crap. Just my .02.

-Kurt

Save your trouble and just go to Four Seasons. You will get a great deal, be treated with courtesy and respect, and will leave the store already looking forward to your next purchase.

I took a road trip down to Richie's on the recomendation of another forum member here and the comments about Richie's sense of humor are spot on. He's a smart *ss but I am too. [wink] Don't be shy about tossing a couple of one line zingers his way. He can take it as well as he dishes it out.

If it wasn't so dang far for me I'd drop in just to hang out and oogle some of the purty toys there. [grin]

I have also had a similar experience at Richies unfortunately he is the only shop near by so some things you have to just suck it up and buy em there.
If you have time and energy however its worth the ride to FS or northeast.

I went to the Gun Room in Shrewsbury today!!!
Dear G-d, why? Waste of time going there unless you're desperate for reloaded ammo and short on time (they are the only one in the area that still sells reloads AFAIK. Only other place I'm aware of is Bullseye in Woonsocket, RI).
Thanks, Scrivener, for once again pointing out the obvious. You're a pal.
Fixed it for you...
Oh, no! QUICK! Correct your grammar.
It's not Scrivener that you have to worry about... I'm the resident Grammarian. But these days I just don't have time to correct all the horrid grammar and spelling that are inflicted on NES by people who apparently didn't pay attention in third grade.
More like killing time.
And youself, as well... or were they not smoking that day? Another reason not to shop there - I prefer my air without tar & nicotine. [rolleyes]

Dittoes on Northeast. They are nothing but helpful. Although these days most places are probably suspicious until they see your face around there a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom