My first AR15 build

I'm thinking about snagging one for my pre-ban setup. They run extremely clean like an AK with a lot less heat generated. Everything I've read about them has been good. Plus, with the ammo prices going up, and wolf being the cheapest solution for ammo (yet very dirty). The gas piston setup will pay for itself shortly after you buy it. I was looking at a pof-usa upper, but the LWRC uppers are not bad (LWRC makes them for pof and bushmaster).

If I don't spend all my play money at the Marlboro show, I'll probably grab an LWRC upper.

It's the sear that makes it a machinegun, right?

Well the sear won't do anything with a semi carrier, so it really needs a regular carrier. I'm pretty sure that the sear and disconnecter are what BATFE considers MG parts but I'm far from an expert. All I'm sure of is that the regular carriers are fine.

B

Well the sear won't do anything with a semi carrier, so it really needs a regular carrier. I'm pretty sure that the sear and disconnecter are what BATFE considers MG parts but I'm far from an expert. All I'm sure of is that the regular carriers are fine.

B

Disconnecter is fine... it's the sear that's considered a machine gun. Same with a lightning link and DIAS.'

I've always thought it odd that such a tiny, simple piece of metal could cost $6,000.00 or more.

z0ombi,

You dont need a Piston upper, they run cleaner than a DI and cost more money, The do functions slightly better and cleaner but your looking at over 1k for just an upper and on some of them you can use things like standard quad rails and such. Your choice on the LMT is spot on you can not get much better than that. And o yeah try and stay away from AR15.com, trust me on this one. There are other AR related sights that are more informative with less bullshit.

I also forgot to add, make sure if you are not using a standard "F" marked FSB that the gas block is pinned NOT held in place by a set screw.

-DM-

Last edited:
z0ombi,
I also forgot to add, make sure if you are not using a standard "F" marked FSB that the gas block is pinned NOT held in place by a set screw.
-DM-

I'm not sure of the details on the MRP uppers gas block, but from what I understand it is quality stuff.

I ordered some more crap last night. Got the sling adapters, pistol grip, and some rail covers. That should about do it. Things are moving along on the lower receiver. I had some issues with the FFL transfer, but that should be resolved tonight.

I'm going to have to wait until probably the end of February to buy the upper so I don't break myself.

-DM-

Just found this bit of info. Sounds like all is good.

"The gas tube is of standard diameter, but straight instead of kinked like the standard gas tube. A low profile gas block is protected by the handguard tube. The gas block is cross pinned to the barrel and the gas tube is held via a standard roll pin. The gas tube is supported at the receiver end by a bracket attached to the barrel."

Just found this bit of info. A low profile gas block is protected by the handguard tube. The gas block is cross pinned to the barrel and the gas tube is held via a standard roll pin.

Perfect. That takes care of the issue I was talking about. With this being done it will curtail any durabilty/reliability issues. If you stay on track with your build you will have a High Quality Fighting Rifle.

-DM-

It's a date. [wink]

I finally sorted out the FFL transfer mess tonight (longish story, not gonna tell it) and Jon at Anvil Arms just called me up to finish processing the order. I should have the lower next week some time.

Let me just say that Jon at AnvilArms is the nicest and most helpful guy I have ever delt with. He went out of his way to work with me through some problems, and stayed in constant e-mail and phone communication with me. The guy deserves a medal.

Any time in the future I need AR15 parts that he sells, I'm going through him.

Let me just say that Jon at AnvilArms is the nicest and most helpful guy I have ever delt with. He went out of his way to work with me through some problems, and stayed in constant e-mail and phone communication with me. The guy deserves a medal.

Any time in the future I need AR15 parts that he sells, I'm going through him.

This is good to know, I am planning on starting my next build soon.

-DM-

Thanks. Maybe for my second rifle [wink] I'm pretty set on the MRP.

Received my Magazines today. 9 refinished 30rnd pre-bans with the new anti-tilt followers installed. Very nice finish on these magazines. Flat black duracoat. They almost look brand new.

Just received my Troy front and rear BUIS. They're a lot smaller than I thought they would be.

Sorry about missing out on the group buy on the Troy's - it's underway now in the Members Section. The are awesome sights. Perhaps for your next build, or shop for some other Troy goodies, (single point slings, rail accessories, etc).

Sounds like you have the makings of a great build there z0mbi - you going to post some before and after pics? Also, did you stick to the custom graphics?

I'm thinking more and more about an AR project. I'm not a huge fan of AR's anymore, but thanks to your thread and another Anvil thread over on THR it has piqued my interest again.

I did go with the graphic that I originally posted. According to UPS tracking, my receiver is on the way and should be here by Wednesday. When I get it, I'll snap some pics of all the stuff I have so far. Everything is either here already, or on its way, except for the upper which I'm going to have to wait on a bit to build up some cash reserves.

I was thinking about trying to find a cheap upper at the marlboro show this weekend, just so I can get the rifle up and running quicker.

Regarding the Troy group buy... I might grab another set of BUIS, but I'm trying not to buy extraneous goods so I can get the upper ASAP.

Quick question/clarification: I don't send in the FA-10 until I assemble the upper onto the lower, right?

Fantastic! Thanks for the info. Don't know where I got my misinfo from... been reading so much crap about ARs I must have gotten my wires crossed somewhere.

OK, I give up... what is a "FA-10"?? I am thinking it must be some crap the Massachusetts legislature dreamed up to keep all of you guys up there nice and safe???

It's the MA state Firearms/Sale/Rental/Lease Transaction Form. A copy is filed with the unfortunately-named Criminal History Systems Board.

As long as you get the Lower transfered to you, you wont have to fill out a FA10

It depends on how the receiver is transferred to you, Since the Receiver is a frame and not a firearm, you can have the dealer do a 4473 only, then you submit the FA10 when you make the receiver into a firearm. But alot of dealers will not do a 4473 only

Beautiful! Thanks for the link! Hahaha... man, that looks so wicked! Now, instead of people just asking me what the heck is tattooed on my neck, they can also ask me what the heck is on my receiver.

Thanks so much, Jon! You absolutely rule.
AnvilArms_custom.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful! Thanks for the link! Hahaha... man, that looks so wicked! Now, instead of people just asking me what the heck is tattooed on my neck, they can also ask me what the heck is on my receiver.

Thanks so much, Jon! You absolutely rule.
AnvilArms_custom.jpg

Now that is cool.

Back
Top Bottom