• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first AR15 build

Well, I've finally gotten enough research done that I feel pretty confident in pulling the trigger on this build. Now, technically, I'm not 'building' an AR from scratch, just assembling a completed upper and lower together. It's my first rifle, give me a break!

Here are the parts I decided to go with:

AnvilArms complete lower receiver
LMT MRP upper receiver - rifle 5.56 16" 1/7 chrome lined barrel
LMT 5.56 Enhanced S/A Bolt Carrier Group
LMT Charging Handle Assembly
BadgerOrdinance Tactical Latch
Troy BUIS
PWS DNTC Compensator
ACE Skeleton stock

I've already ordered the ACE stock, and am in email communication with AnvilArms for the receiver. I'm getting a piece of my own art engraved on the magwell:

IronCross_monster_flip.jpg

Here's what it should look like on the receiver:

IronCross_monster_flip_invert.jpg

If anyone sees anything that they think I'm doing wrong, or has any other opinions or suggestions, I would love to hear them. Specifically, if anyone knows if that PWS muzzle break is legal for me to use in MA or not I would be very grateful. I haven't ordered it yet, I was hoping someone could clarify for me.

*edit: Here's some shots of the final build!

AR_tanmag_005.jpg

AR_tanmag_001.jpg

AR_tanmag_006.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it will be a very nice set up.

Only one think to mention. I've been happier with the PRI Big Latch instead of the Badger Tac Latch. I have both & the tac latch does have a tendency to occasionally get caught on things.

Here's what it looks like on the charging handle:
http://mountsplus.com/thestore/prods/PRI-M69-GB2.html

ETA The Gen 2 Tac Latch may not have that problem I have the Gen 1.

Go with a FA BCG&A

Also Jon, do you offer LEO pricing, and what are the limits for the "free" laser engraving. Im looking for a lower w/ LPK and no stock.

Last edited:
If it's going to be a SA rifle, why use any FA parts? Better accuracy? Tougher under heavy use?

No, no better accuracy, The AR family of rifles was designed around using that weight of a carrier. Semi carriers are a little lighter, its heavier weight carries more forward momentum to strip a round & lock in place even if there is some build up in the upper.

BTW I have the badger Tac Latch and I have no problems with it getting caught up on gear. But it is large (which is good cause during a stressful situation you will lose fine motor skills).

Here are some pics of my rig. I have since added A Tango Down VFG, Tac Latch, Eo-Tech 551, 5 PMags, and Ranger Plates to my USGI mags.

AR008.jpg

AR007.jpg

AR003.jpg

-DM-

Last edited:
No, no better accuracy, The AR family of rifles was designed around using that weight of a carrier. Semi carriers are a little lighter, its heavier weight carries more forward momentum to strip a round & lock in place even if there is some build up in the upper.

Makes me wonder why there's a difference. Is the SA version designed just a little differently, like missing one little thing to prevent FA firing?

And nice pics.

It's still legal, right?

That I really cant tell you, But Only the trained eye cann tell the difference of a FA to SA.

Makes me wonder why there's a difference. Is the SA version designed just a little differently, like missing one little thing to prevent FA firing?

They are actually a lot different, I will see if I can dig up some pics.

I have no experience, just read a lot about it. Some of the guys doing a lot of tactical classes and such have a minor gripe with the BO latch digging into their side when slung and not wearing body armor. Again, minor gripe, and not first hand knowledge, just throwing another .02 so you only have to do this once [wink]

Don't worry about it, I want as many opinions as I can get!

I think I'm going to go with the SA bolt group... I want to stay as far away from any 'grey' areas as I can.

I think I'm going to go with the SA bolt group... I want to stay as far away from any 'grey' areas as I can.

I was looking around and the bolt is not part of the fire control group (ie a FA bolt will only fire SA with a SA LPK).

BTW Cuda im going to Long Island for a class in march you interested??

-DM-

They are a lot different....including the associated jail time. [thinking] A FA BCG is considered an "M16 component" and must be used in Title II receivers for legality. The position of the BATFE is that if your AR-15 contains even 1 M16 component then it is considered a machine gun. You don't want to go there. You can download the Bushmaster catalog from their web site. On page 19 it shows you the differences between the parts.

Last edited:
BTW Zombi...we must think alike. I picked up the Primary Weapons FCS556. I though about getting the DNTC but decided not to. The FCS556 is not considered a flash supressor by the BATFE but does a hell of a good job suppressing flash.

Let's see some pics when it's done!

Zombi, looks like a cool setup. Good luck with it and I can't wait to see some pics. Do we all get to shoot it at a members shoot?[wink]

Go with a FA BCG&A

Also Jon, do you offer LEO pricing, and what are the limits for the "free" laser engraving. Im looking for a lower w/ LPK and no stock.

Jon,
Does your Co. do custom serial numbers?

Hi Guys,

Since I am not a paying advertiser on this board I really should not be promoting my company here, I just wanted to say hi and thank you to Zombie for mentioning us.

However, since you guys asked, I will say that most all of your questions can be answered on my website. If you still have questions after reading the site, please feel free to email me directly.

Jon K.

[email protected]

www.AnvilArms.com

I agree with Gregg, nothing grey about a regular BCG. Floating around the net is plenty of information about them and how they are acceptable to the BATFE for use in a semi-auto. I think someone even has a letter from them. I wouldn't worry about it too much since bushmaster and a couple others are shipping rifles with regular bolt carriers.

B

A full auto carrier is not a grey area.

Nice BUIS,why are you getting a front one,are you removing the FSB ?

* Your LMT link didn't work for me so I can't see a pic of your upper.

The LMT upper doesn't have a front sight post. From what I can tell, it's got a low profile gas block that is hidden by the rails in the rifle version.

Here's someone elses 18" rifle LMT MRP so you can see:

L7RA1A.jpg

136_3608_img.jpg

I agree with Gregg, nothing grey about a regular BCG. Floating around the net is plenty of information about them and how they are acceptable to the BATFE for use in a semi-auto. I think someone even has a letter from them. I wouldn't worry about it too much since bushmaster and a couple others are shipping rifles with regular bolt carriers.

B

You're all right, it seems. After doing some research, I've seen the letters and the law, and it looks like it's perfectly legal.

I've been reading this gi-normous thread on the FA vs SA BCG over at AR15.com and I've come to the conclusion that while it seems as if it is perfectly legal to run a FA BCG in an AR15, I'm not going to do it.

Just got my ACE Skeleton stock in the mail today.

buttstock_a101_tm.jpg

I've been looking at sling mounts, trying to decide what I want to go with. I really want a quick detach sling since I have a feeling I'm not always going to want a sling on my rifle. I like the Midwest Industries heavy duty rail mount quick-detach sling adapter.

For the rear sling mount, though, I'm not sure what would work with the skeleton stock. It looks like the base of the skeleton stock is the same as an A2 style stock, and not at all like an M4 style stock. So, TangoDown makes an A2 style quick-detach sling mount, but It doesn't look like there is enough material at the base of the ACE stock for this adapter to work with. Looks like it just clamps on.

I might just get the TangoDown anyway, since I'm probably going to run the gun with the full A2 stock at first. That, and I'm sure this won't be my last AR.

Oh, I also ordered 9 refinished pre-ban 30rnd mags today.

Back
Top Bottom