My First .45acp?

iofneedle

NES Member
All my semi's are 9mm. Would like to branch out. Something fun for the range and home defense.

What should it be?

As always, thanks for your input.

What's your budget??

Plenty of 1911's to pick from. I have two of those. I also recently picked up a HK45C as a carry gun.

I am a huge fan of sticking to one platform. So whats your carry gun? Example...If you carry a glock for ccw don't get a 1911 as a house gun. Get a glock 21. You don't want different trigger pulls under stress and a safety that your may not remember to take off.

Yeah but out of the box the trigger is terrible for the price.

In SA isn't not that bad... If you're using it as a DAO pistol, then it's not up to 1911 standards, for certain. You have options with how you carry/use it. Keep it in condition 1 if you want (that's how I carry it). Or have it loaded with the hammer down and the first shot is DA. After that, it's SA.

I wouldn't expect a competition trigger on a carry gun. Even though I have carried my IPSC 1911 (wide-body) on more than a few occasions. IMO (and many others), a home protection pistol just has to get you to your rifle.

I am a huge fan of sticking to one platform. So whats your carry gun? Example...If you carry a glock for ccw don't get a 1911 as a house gun. Get a glock 21. You don't want different trigger pulls under stress and a safety that your may not remember to take off.
I think that is overstating the training required to learn a 1911 safety and the difference between the two guns.

Last edited:
I think that is overstating the training required to learn a 1911 safety and the difference between the two guns.

+1... It's also what snap-caps are made for and why you practice with any 'new' firearm until you're 100% comfortable using it.

For the OP... Go to one of the many ranges where you can rent guns and try them out.

BTW, I'm a huge fan/proponent of hammer fired pistols instead of striker fired. It's one of the reasons I avoid grocks...

I think it's important to learn different trigger pulls. I have numerous guns with different trigger pulls.

I noticed my groupings are better after practicing and shooting the DA. Over time with practice the trigger pulls become a second nature.

HK45c is a sweet gun!

2 great choices, Glock 21 or 1911

I would defer to the 1911, largely because of the ergonomic and intuitive grip/aim, and it's weight tames recoil a bit more than the Glock (not that either is a big deal, especially having just shot a Ruger Super Blackhawk with hot .44 magnum loads). There are a million ways to customize the 1911, and several companies make them, even for the MA market. I had an S&W 1911 for a few years and it was great. If you're more of a traditionalist, you might want the internal extractor of the Ruger 1911, which I hear is fine.

Fnx45 with trijion rmr, attach military style soda bottle for suppression?

in all seriousness can't go wrong with Glock 21.

Buy a Glock 30; good for carry and HD. You can also use G21 mags in it. I know someone that has one for sale in the classifieds - look under Glockster30. [laugh]

Home defense and range fun: 1st choice 1911, 2nd Sig P220. If it's not going to be a carry piece, I suggest something with a metal frame. Pistol that might pull double duty for winter carry: Sig P220 Compact or Carry, M&P45c, Glock 21 if you like Glocks.

I'm another from the school of don't worry about different trigger pulls, within reason. Except for Glocks vs. others. Stock trigger pull on Glocks can be pretty awful in my opinion. Super easy to fix with minimal skills or with a few bucks a shop can do it. I've heard similar comment regarding M&P's, but I've only shot M&P's with Apex triggers, and those are sweet.

Glock 21/41
CZ 97
1911 (I like the Sig 1911's)
Sig P220/227
M&P 45
HK 45

All the above are excellent to me

Don't overlook the P220. It gets very little love by the tactical elitists, but it is an amazing pistol and 10rd mags are readily available. It's one of my favorite 45 pistols and I wouldn't trade mine. There are people selling their LNIB P220's for under $700. It really gets zero love in MA.

Last edited:
I just got my first .45 as well.
springfield Armory XDM 3.8C. I love it, I've been a big S&W fan (carry Shield 9)
and have a FS .40 but I actually shoot this much better than my .40 and almost as well as my shield.
If you can find one try it, otherwise I would say check out Glockster30's Glock 30 (which I would've done if I hadn't
come across the XDM)
I've shot quite a few 1911's , I prefer sticking with striker fire, but the colt 1911 commander
is a great size to carry and shoots beautifully without breaking the bank. (pretty tempted to grab one myself)

No 1911s. I started out with one now up to about 10. Seriously, they are great guns. Also second the HK though I have a usp45ct and also a Glock 30 sf...cause I have hands like a bitch.

1911 vote here too. Compared to other full size 45 pistols, I feel they have more manageable recoil and are easy to shoot. Plenty of flavors to choose from and customize to your liking.

M and p full size if you dont plan to carry it. Super easy to operate and a sweet shooter. Bit big for ccw but as a hd, shtf, range gun its awesome. 10+1 capacity of 45acp is a bonus.

Here's a great first .45 choice. Starting price around 500. [wink]

http://www.solidsmack.com/design/ca...de-from-a-meteorite-is-worlds-most-expensive/

cabot-1911-pistol-meteorite-04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom