My First .45acp?

I have small hands so stayed away from any .45 for years. Then within a week bought 2 1911's. Had wanted to own one for a long time. I was pretty happy as the money spent was, well. Then I got it in my head I wanted a Glock 20 (10MM). So the search commenced. No joy there as they are rarely sold used.
So one day, being the bright boy that I am, reasoned that since I'd never held a large frame Glock before, it might just be unlikely a good fit. So I asked to see a Glock 21. WTF? My small hands put that trigger on my first joint as though it was custom made. The price was right so I bought it. On the way home
I stopped into the Barn Store in Salisbury N.H., they had a sale on with 10% off on new guns and 20% off on accessories, so bought another Glock 21.
Got rid of the 1911's and haven't looked back. I'm a reloader so the 10MM holds no interest as I can make the .45 do just about anything factory 10MM can.

I love the 1911 platform. For me, it just points naturally and feels right in my hand. And these days, there are so many choices for reliable 1911's that are affordable and in the same price range as a Glock in Mass. Ruger, Remington and Para all offer decent guns or Remsport can put one together for you for about the same price.

I also really like Sig 220 and 227.

My uneducated suggestion would be a G21 if you have no plans to carry it. If there's a suspicion you may carry it if go with a G30. The possibility of preban magazines in MA and the ubiquity of glocks would be the main draws for me.

I love the history of the 1911 but that's about it. Questionable reliability (before anyone says that their is dead reliable, how does it compare to a Glock 21? Yeah, I thought so...), finicky about mags and ammo, expensive, heavy, low capacity... I want to get a historically significant one at some point but I'm done with new 1911s - the Remington I had left a bad impression on me.

Kalash wasn't the first nor the last. Why were there hundreds if not thousands of gunsmiths who specialized in 1911's? True many customized but more than a few fixed them. And that was well before the use of other than ball ammunition. Apparently Colt and later other manufacturers forgot how to make the damn things properly.

G21 if you don't plan on carrying your new .45. I've carried a 1976 Colt Government model for over 16 years in an IWB holster, and I compete with it, so it's what I know. I tried to carry a friend's G21 concealed once for a day. It was... difficult. I do own a few smaller Glocks though, for when the 1911 isn't the best choice.

So yeah if you're looking for a range/ night stand gun and don't plan on carrying it often, absolutely G21 all day. Nice gun capable of holding 14 rounds of .45acp goodness.

G21 if you don't plan on carrying your new .45. I've carried a 1976 Colt Government model for over 16 years in an IWB holster, and I compete with it, so it's what I know. I tried to carry a friend's G21 concealed once for a day. It was... difficult. I do own a few smaller Glocks though, for when the 1911 isn't the best choice.

So yeah if you're looking for a range/ night stand gun and don't plan on carrying it often, absolutely G21 all day. Nice gun capable of holding 14 rounds of .45acp goodness.

That's one less round than I feed my P14 (per mag)... [smile]

Home defense and range fun: 1st choice 1911, 2nd Sig P220. If it's not going to be a carry piece, I suggest something with a metal frame. Pistol that might pull double duty for winter carry: Sig P220 Compact or Carry...

These are my top choices as well. P220 has a simpler manual of arms than the 1911 so that might be a consideration. P220C/P245 are a pretty good size for carry (so is a 1911 Officer or Defender/New Agent) and if the P227 gets Ma. approval I'd add it to the list for its 10+1rd capacity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom