MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

I might do that, thanks for the tip. And thanks for the confirmation on what I can and can't do.

Two last questions. I am under the impression that in Mass an FID is shall issue whereas an LTC is may issue. First, is that correct? And Second, assuming that it is correct, does it make any sense to apply for both so as to ensure that 60 days out I am not sitting in possession of a number of Firearms that I am not legally allowed to have if my LTC gets rejected? There is no valid reason for my LTC to get rejected, but I tend to be cautious by nature and always like to have a backup plan.

Thanks again.

As of 1/1/15, FID is now discretionary too . . . they do have an extra hoop to jump thru before they deny however, but most of us who track this stuff believe that the MA marsupial judges will go along with any chief who can articulate any "suitability" reason.

FID will not allow you to possess (legally) ANY ARs, handguns, large cap mags (pre-ban of course) or any large cap long guns. IMNSHO it is totally useless to possess unless one is <21 yo (min age for LTC).

Next, the criteria for issuance of a LTC is the same as for an FID nowadays, so no advantage to spending twice the money for no benefit.

Nobody will prosecute someone for >60 days if they got all their paperwork into the PD prior to the 60 days. Any delay at that point is because of a PD dragging their feet and even a MA marsupial judge is not going to look kindly at that sort of "sting" operation!

Finally, even the worst town in MA (and Harvard having the best club in MA in the town is hardly a bad town for LTCs) does NOT deny applicants "just because the law says they can". Even the worst towns will issue a LTC, but they do it with restrictions so that you can't carry but you certainly can own any conventional gun. If you have absolutely no record, please stop worrying and just move forward.

Len-2A Training, Thank you. Very Sincerely, thank you. I was totally unaware of the changes to the FID. I have been really stressing about this for the last few days and am thrilled to hear your take on Harvard. This move is not turning out to be nearly as bad as I thought it would be (from a firearms perspective). Really appreciate your insight and willingness to share it. Again, Thanks.

You're welcome. MA is very bad but it's not the worst out there plus some cities/towns make it as tolerable as they can.

Look into joining Harvard Sportsmen's Club when you land here, you won't regret it. There are quite a few members on NES that will be happy to show you around that club. I live >1 hour away or I'd be a member in a heartbeat.

I would think any gunsmith in Florida could pin the stock and weld/pin a muzzle brake on. They used to do this everywhere before 2004, right?

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome. MA is very bad but it's not the worst out there plus some cities/towns make it as tolerable as they can.

Look into joining Harvard Sportsmen's Club when you land here, you won't regret it. There are quite a few members on NES that will be happy to show you around that club. I live >1 hour away or I'd be a member in a heartbeat.

+1 if I'd known more way back when I'd have parachuted in northwest of Boston (near Harvard) instead of on the North Shore.

Varmint, funny. Part of the reason I have been Gung Ho on Harvard is that fact that it has a Gun Club. Glad to hear that it is good one. Definitely plan to check it out as soon as I get settled. Again. Thanks everyone for the info. Really appreciate it.

Varmint, funny. Part of the reason I have been Gung Ho on Harvard is that fact that it has a Gun Club. Glad to hear that it is good one. Definitely plan to check it out as soon as I get settled. Again. Thanks everyone for the info. Really appreciate it.

Not merely good, but the best one in the state wrt the various ranges and what is allowed. It's Disneyland for shooters.

PolarBear, something i didn't see other people mention about the mp sport. The MA definitions only consider something a gun if it is capable of firing a shot. Removing the barrel might make it not covered under the MA definition, in which case if you assembled it after you had an ltc you would need to FA10 it. Of course... How would anyone know?

Hmmm. Browncoat, interesting point. Guys. What is the ruling in this one? I assume that if you swap out a barrel on your rifle you would not need to file an FA-10. What if I put on the new barrel before I got the LTC. As I understand it without an LTC you can't file an FA-10?

Hmmm. Browncoat, interesting point. Guys. What is the ruling in this one? I assume that if you swap out a barrel on your rifle you would not need to file an FA-10. What if I put on the new barrel before I got the LTC. As I understand it without an LTC you can't file an FA-10?

So,

I was talking to an FFL and manufacturer from outside of MA who makes 1911s. He had a conversation with the BATFE about this very issue. They informed him that the MA State Police (and one would assume other police agencies) consider that if you have more uppers, I think it was, than lowers, and some of those uppers are not compliant, they can and have charged people with some sort of intent or violation of the law.

I think the concept was: If you have parts to modify the firearm (which is legally the receiver), you can make an illegal configuration, ipso facto you've got intent and your an evil gun owning bastard planning on horrible crimes against humanity.

Being a wise-ass aside, I'm really curious about this... I've got tons of uppers and lowers. AR-57, for example, mostly HBARs sytle AR-15 clones (more into matches), and an AR-10 (Larue OBR).

In prep for ending up in MA someday, I've got about 100 10 round magazines for the ARs.

So,

I was talking to an FFL and manufacturer from outside of MA who makes 1911s. He had a conversation with the BATFE about this very issue. They informed him that the MA State Police (and one would assume other police agencies) consider that if you have more uppers, I think it was, than lowers, and some of those uppers are not compliant, they can and have charged people with some sort of intent or violation of the law.

I think the concept was: If you have parts to modify the firearm (which is legally the receiver), you can make an illegal configuration, ipso facto you've got intent and your an evil gun owning bastard planning on horrible crimes against humanity.

Being a wise-ass aside, I'm really curious about this... I've got tons of uppers and lowers. AR-57, for example, mostly HBARs sytle AR-15 clones (more into matches), and an AR-10 (Larue OBR).

In prep for ending up in MA someday, I've got about 100 10 round magazines for the ARs.
So the thing about this is: constructive possession is really more a fed thing. I wouldn't put it past MSP to charge for this, but state law doesn't support constructive possession as much as federal regulations do. Of course in state court anything is possible.

OK. Well I only have one upper and one lower. And currently no barrel on the upper. So my guess is that this is OK. I have pinned the butt stock and decided to pull the barrel as welding a muzzle break (according to the smith I saw today) would still require a crush washer (why, I don't know) and that as well as the muzzle break would have a slightly different diameter thereby making it impossible to get the gas block that I had planned to do later. It just became too mush of a pain so I pulled the barrel this afternoon and will get a bull barrel when I get up there. Leaving in less than a week and don't have time to deal with it at this point.

Still wondering if anyone one else has a different take on the need for an FA-10 if I put the barrel on after I get there. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I think Browncoat is probably right, but still hoping otherwise.

Related question: when someone says pin and weld the barrel, do they mean pin the barrel and then weld the PIN so that it can't be removed?

If not, why pin the barrel at all... Why not strip it, and weld the muzzle break onto it, reblue?

Related question: when someone says pin and weld the barrel, do they mean pin the barrel and then weld the PIN so that it can't be removed?

If not, why pin the barrel at all... Why not strip it, and weld the muzzle break onto it, reblue?
A hole gets drilled through muzzle brake and into barrel. A pin gets inserted so that the muzzle brake can't be twisted off. The hole gets welded over so the pin can't be removed. Later if you want to change the brake, you grind the weld off and take the pin off. The other option is silver solder but that is harder to remove without messing with the barrels heat treatment

Suppose someone brings a handgun into MA when they move here. By law, he has 60 days to get an LTC. Let's say he knows it will take more than 60 days to get an LTC (lives in Boston). If he can get a friend (who has a Class A) to hold onto the gun, do they need to fill out an FA-10? Even if the friend is just holding onto the gun until the owner gets his LTC?

I moved to MA because my wife's job. living in a green town according to the list but I'm not having much luck getting an appointment for interview.

I called and left voice mail messages - no response
Went to the station - they no longer take walk-ins, told to call for appointment

Finally got an appointment scheduled but was cancelled when the officer couldn't make it. they cannot get me in until middle of next week.

I am running close to the 60 day time frame.

I do not know anyone up here with a LTC-A. Thoughts and suggestions?

I moved to MA because my wife's job. living in a green town according to the list but I'm not having much luck getting an appointment for interview.

I called and left voice mail messages - no response
Went to the station - they no longer take walk-ins, told to call for appointment

Finally got an appointment scheduled but was cancelled when the officer couldn't make it. they cannot get me in until middle of next week.

I am running close to the 60 day time frame.

I do not know anyone up here with a LTC-A. Thoughts and suggestions?

Just keep your guns locked up in your house until you get your LTC. Another thing you could do is fill out the application and send it in by certified mail, so that you have evidence that you submitted an application within the time limit - they just couldn't accommodate you.

Hey Guys,
This is my first post, and I think this forum has tons of great information, I'm almost overloaded with info and having a hard time sorting through it all. But maybe one or a few of you can help me. I'm sure my circumstance must have been beaten dead many times on here, so I apologize in advance if it seems quite redundant. However, I just moved from New Hampshire down to Stoughton Mass, and am getting everything transferred down now (drivers license etc.). I have a Mossberg 535, Ruger LC9 and a Springfield XDS .45. Currently I left the Springfield and Ruger at my brother in laws house until I figure out all the legal stuff with MA. My Mossberg is with me because I have been hunting in MA. So I will try to condense and ask questions clearly;

Brief History:
Over 5 years ago for the duration of about 3 years I became a heroin/crack cocaine addict and went through a very difficult time. I had been arrested when I was younger for minor offenses such as marijuana and alcohol. During the 3 years though I had been arrested for Heroin (not convicted) and breaking into cars (not convicted). I then voluntarily went to a non-profit drug rehabilitation center where I have been clean for 5 years (glory to God). I took a job for the Corporate Headquarters down here of the rehabilitation center and that's why I have to relocate. In New Hampshire I had my CCW permit with no issues.

Questions:

1. I read that Stoughton is a green town? I did not find on the police department website that I would fill out an application that required those questions pertaining arrests and rehabilitation. Is this mandatory for all MA residents?

2. Springfield XDS, I am under the impression that I can bring it down because I didn't buy it in MA.

3. If I am questioned about the past, and I have a lot of valid proof that I am in secular terms considered "Recovered" what's the chances of me still getting an Unrestricted LTC in Stoughton MA? Any past experience?

Thanks for helping, I'm sure I have more Q's that I will ask, but will try the search bar more too. Thanks again!

Hey Guys,
This is my first post, and I think this forum has tons of great information, I'm almost overloaded with info and having a hard time sorting through it all. But maybe one or a few of you can help me. I'm sure my circumstance must have been beaten dead many times on here, so I apologize in advance if it seems quite redundant. However, I just moved from New Hampshire down to Stoughton Mass, and am getting everything transferred down now (drivers license etc.). I have a Mossberg 535, Ruger LC9 and a Springfield XDS .45. Currently I left the Springfield and Ruger at my brother in laws house until I figure out all the legal stuff with MA. My Mossberg is with me because I have been hunting in MA. So I will try to condense and ask questions clearly;

Brief History:
Over 5 years ago for the duration of about 3 years I became a heroin/crack cocaine addict and went through a very difficult time. I had been arrested when I was younger for minor offenses such as marijuana and alcohol. During the 3 years though I had been arrested for Heroin (not convicted) and breaking into cars (not convicted). I then voluntarily went to a non-profit drug rehabilitation center where I have been clean for 5 years (glory to God). I took a job for the Corporate Headquarters down here of the rehabilitation center and that's why I have to relocate. In New Hampshire I had my CCW permit with no issues.

Questions:

1. I read that Stoughton is a green town? I did not find on the police department website that I would fill out an application that required those questions pertaining arrests and rehabilitation. Is this mandatory for all MA residents?

2. Springfield XDS, I am under the impression that I can bring it down because I didn't buy it in MA.

3. If I am questioned about the past, and I have a lot of valid proof that I am in secular terms considered "Recovered" what's the chances of me still getting an Unrestricted LTC in Stoughton MA? Any past experience?

Thanks for helping, I'm sure I have more Q's that I will ask, but will try the search bar more too. Thanks again!
Here is the application: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/updated-ltc-fid-card-app-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Question 4 on the LTC application requires you to list all arrests and court appearances. You will need to explain each arrest in some amount of detail. You may wish to hire a lawyer to walk you through the process, given your background. People have been denied LTCs in MA for less, certainly.

1) There is a question on the statewide application for an LTC/FID that asks "Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense?" You will have to answer YES to that question, and then provide explanation for it (there is a section for explanations for any YES answers).

2) Yes you can bring your XDS

3) That depends a lot on the chief's attitude towards people with pasts like yours. Based on the information you provided you wouldn't be statutorily disqualified from getting an LTC, but the chief could deny you based on his determination that you are "unsuitable" and it is likely that if you challenged it the court would find in his favor.

I guess my next question then would be, is what would I do with my handguns?

And would I still be able to get an FID card?

Last edited:
I guess my next question then would be, is what would I do with my handguns?

And would I still be able to get an FID card?

You would either have to leave them in the possession who could legally possess them, or sell them off.

As browncoat said, FIDs are subject to the same "suitability" determination as LTCs, so you may be denied for one of those too.

You would either have to leave them in the possession who could legally possess them, or sell them off.

As browncoat said, FIDs are subject to the same "suitability" determination as LTCs, so you may be denied for one of those too.
I may face the same problem. I recently accepted a new job in MA. I am in my mid-thirties and received a BCD after a court-martial for refusing the anthrax vaccine about 15 years ago. No way was I going to take that poison, direct order or no. Besides, I did not like military life and was glad to get out. From entrance day to BCD was about 11 months, including the 30 days of confinement. I own two bolt-action centerfire rifles and two Remington 870 12 gauge shotguns. Will I be denied an FID card as well? These firearms were legally purchased and I passed a NICS on each of them at the FFL dealerships. Should my wife and I just purchase a home in NH and commute? Some people told me that the chief has to petition a court for an FID denial, while they can just deny an LTC outright for suitability reasons. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I may face the same problem. I recently accepted a new job in MA. I am in my mid-thirties and received a BCD after a court-martial for refusing the anthrax vaccine about 15 years ago. No way was I going to take that poison, direct order or no. Besides, I did not like military life and was glad to get out. From entrance day to BCD was about 11 months, including the 30 days of confinement. I own two bolt-action centerfire rifles and two Remington 870 12 gauge shotguns. Will I be denied an FID card as well? These firearms were legally purchased and I passed a NICS on each of them at the FFL dealerships. Should my wife and I just purchase a home in NH and commute? Some people told me that the chief has to petition a court for an FID denial, while they can just deny an LTC outright for suitability reasons. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What town in Mass is your job if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom