• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

I'm moving to mass on Friday. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15T. Do I need to do anything other than get rid of my newer high capacity magazines? I'm moving back to a very small town where I've already talked to local pd and they don't know shit about those laws they said to ask the gun shops. The closest gun store said I'd be fine since I bought my weapons legally while living in a different state. I've just heard conflicting things about thing like pinning the stock and welding the barrel.

I'm moving to mass on Friday. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15T. Do I need to do anything other than get rid of my newer high capacity magazines? I'm moving back to a very small town where I've already talked to local pd and they don't know shit about those laws they said to ask the gun shops. The closest gun store said I'd be fine since I bought my weapons legally while living in a different state. I've just heard conflicting things about thing like pinning the stock and welding the barrel.

If the gun has a collapsible stock and threaded barrel you will need to pin the stock and have the muzzle device permanently attached. If the muzzle device is considered a flash hider and not a brake or compensator, it would need to be removed and either a brake or comp permanently installed or the hider and threads removed (target crown). Make sure there is no bayonet lug.

While MA does let you move with your guns before you get a permit and don't have to register them, they all must abide by the state laws which includes the assault weapons ban (it mirrors the old federal ban).

Your >10 round mags will have to stay behind unless they were manufactured before the federal ban date (yes, in MA, "preban mags" are a thing).

This thread should help:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

Are you bringing any handguns? Make sure they also abide by the magazine and AWB restrictions. A few caveats to remember as well, preban mags in a post ban gun are fine. Dealer handgun compliance (approved roster) is for dealers only, not for private sales or when folks move.

Hope this helps and welcome!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you are moving to MA, you will regret the loss of freedom.

Kudos to the PD for admitting that they know nothing.

Typical gun shop BS!

Felony to possess any so-called AW made after 9/13/1994. The evil features that get you in trouble (other than the mags) for an AR are: collapsible stock (must be pinned), flash-hider (see next), threaded bbl (mount a compensator then pin & weld ), bayonet lug (must grind it off).

I've read quite a few posts here, and it's been helpful, but I have a question. I am moving to MA in a few weeks. I will be living in corporate housing in an as-yet-to-be-determined MA suburb. Corporate housing only lasts for two months. We probably won't end up buying a house in the same suburb as Corp housing.

If I bring my guns, I have 100 days to get my unrestricted LTC. That's cutting it pretty close, and stuff like utility bills etc won't be in my name, so I won't have proof of residency other than a fresh drivers license.

Should I bother bringing my guns right away or wait until we are settled? If I wait until we are settled more than 100 days will have passed. I imagine I will then have to ship my guns to an ffl, register each one (since I will be a real resident by then) and have to pay transfer fees-all after having obtained an unrestricted ltc.

Is is there another solution I am not aware of? Can I have my guns shipped to my newly purchased home with the rest of our possessions?

Long post, sorry for any confusion in advance. I appreciate some help. I know the internet isn't a good place for legal advice, just looking for workarounds to explore.

If the guns are yours and you bring them later you won't need an FFL, but by law you will have to register/report them via FA-10.

If the guns are yours and you bring them later you won't need an FFL, but by law you will have to register/report them via FA-10.

This is correct. Also note . . . per MGL you have 60 days to get licensed, NOT 100!

Here's a suggestion for you: Move in with them by driving THRU MA and stopping in NH at a secure storage place, lock them up there until you get licensed in a permanent residence. Then go back and retrieve them. IANAL but my take on it is that "you moved in with them" and therefore no need to register them. NH allows non-PPs to possess any type of gun w/o any licenses . . . the NH License is ONLY valid for concealed (and MV) carry and nothing else.

NOTE: The only exception to MGL requiring registration of guns is when you move in with your guns . . . no need to EVER register them.

Last edited:
How should I keep my guns secure once I arrive and wait for my ltc a?

Secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device.

Common ways to achieve this: gun safe, locking gun cabinet, trigger lock, cable lock.

Hey Guys,
This is my first post, and I think this forum has tons of great information, I'm almost overloaded with info and having a hard time sorting through it all. But maybe one or a few of you can help me. I'm sure my circumstance must have been beaten dead many times on here, so I apologize in advance if it seems quite redundant. However, I just moved from New Hampshire down to Stoughton Mass, and am getting everything transferred down now (drivers license etc.). I have a Mossberg 535, Ruger LC9 and a Springfield XDS .45. Currently I left the Springfield and Ruger at my brother in laws house until I figure out all the legal stuff with MA. My Mossberg is with me because I have been hunting in MA. So I will try to condense and ask questions clearly;

Brief History:
Over 5 years ago for the duration of about 3 years I became a heroin/crack cocaine addict and went through a very difficult time. I had been arrested when I was younger for minor offenses such as marijuana and alcohol. During the 3 years though I had been arrested for Heroin (not convicted) and breaking into cars (not convicted). I then voluntarily went to a non-profit drug rehabilitation center where I have been clean for 5 years (glory to God). I took a job for the Corporate Headquarters down here of the rehabilitation center and that's why I have to relocate. In New Hampshire I had my CCW permit with no issues.

Questions:

1. I read that Stoughton is a green town? I did not find on the police department website that I would fill out an application that required those questions pertaining arrests and rehabilitation. Is this mandatory for all MA residents?

2. Springfield XDS, I am under the impression that I can bring it down because I didn't buy it in MA.

3. If I am questioned about the past, and I have a lot of valid proof that I am in secular terms considered "Recovered" what's the chances of me still getting an Unrestricted LTC in Stoughton MA? Any past experience?

Thanks for helping, I'm sure I have more Q's that I will ask, but will try the search bar more too. Thanks again!

Just wanted to give an update! I called the Mass State police to check the status of my LTC. They said that it was approved with no restrictions! It was sent back to my local PD and to get a hold of them to pick it up. I called a couple of times this week and it seems impossible to get the licensing officer. But I am pumped that it was approved!

Hey guys,

I moved to MA from MT for work a year ago and didn't bring my guns with me because I didn't plan to stay here. Now it looks like I'll be staying for at least a few years, so I went ahead and applied for my license.

I live in Brookline and just got approved by the local police chief for my LTC-A, but my license has not arrived yet. The licensing officer said that I can expect it to arrive between June 29th and July 6th.

I'm going home to MT for 4th of July weekend. I'm leaving July 1st and would like to bring a rifle back when I return on July 10th. The rifle is a preban (1970s) Plainfield .30 Carbine. It has a folding stock on it but I figured that, since I'm bringing it on a plane, I'll probably just bring it over in a fixed stock to avoid any possible issues or questioning from TSA employees. I can put the fixed stock back on later.

Will I need to show my LTC when checking in in MT or at the baggage claim in MA? There's a possibility that I won't have my LTC yet before my departure on July 1st despite it having been signed-off on June 15th.

I am also looking to bring over some AR uppers that I can run on an Ares SCR lower. I was wondering if I can have an upper with a threaded muzzle since the SCR does not have a pistol grip, collapsible stock or any other "evil" features.

Thanks!

Steve

I wouldn't step foot in this state without an LTC in my hand. I don't care what the chief says, unless it's in my hand it doesn't count. The license isn't valid until it goes back to the local PD and it's approved. They could very well sit on it and it won't be active in the system. I wouldn't posses any firearms, ammo, ammo components, etc. until you have your activated LTC in hand.

LTC process:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/155593-MA-LTC-FID-Application-Process

My interpretation (IANAL) of the MA AWB is that if you built the lower without a pistol grip, you could add one more "evil" feature such as a threaded barrel or a collapsible stock. Thread here:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

Last edited:
I wouldn't step foot in this state without an LTC in my hand. I don't care what the chief says, unless it's in my hand it doesn't count. The license isn't valid until it goes back to the local PD and it's approved. They could very well sit on it and it won't be active in the system. I wouldn't posses any firearms, ammo, ammo components, etc. until you have your activated LTC in hand.

LTC process:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/155593-MA-LTC-FID-Application-Process

My interpretation (IANAL) of the MA AWB is that if you built the lower without a pistol grip, you could add one more "evil" feature such as a threaded barrel or a collapsible stock. Thread here:

Yeah, that makes sense. I will just ship the rifle to myself if the license doesn't come in before my departure date.

Also, agreed on the AWB features. I think I'm clear to have a threaded muzzle on an Ares SCR.

Thanks!

Steve

Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered several times over, but I searched a bit and couldn't find it. If a resident of NH purchases an AR-15 today and moves to MA tomorrow, does that person need to sell their AR? Or can they just make it "what was once MA-compliant" and be ok bringing it with them?
Thanks,
Paul

Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered several times over, but I searched a bit and couldn't find it. If a resident of NH purchases an AR-15 today and moves to MA tomorrow, does that person need to sell their AR? Or can they just make it "what was once MA-compliant" and be ok bringing it with them?
Thanks,
Paul

We all wish we knew the answer to that question, seriously.

It's such a mess that nobody knows anything for sure.

Thanks,
Paul

As a boundary, I try to not give advice when I answer law-themed questions, because I am not a lawyer.

The safe answer would be to not bring the AR into the Commonwealth at this time- whether it is in a configuration that would be seem compliant with the feature test, or not. That's the safe answer because it does not rely on a potential outcome/answer to any of the ambiguous questions associated with the exercise of authority by the AG with respect to her enforcement notice or the forbearances that she seems to present therewithin. Additionally, and at its face, (if everything in the enforcement notice were to be respected as written), not bringing the AR into the Commonwealth would still be the safe answer- because even if the forbearance provisions were to be honored/upheld as written, the rifle itself would not have been acquired during the window necessary for them to be applicable. Additionally, if we were to accept the enforcement notice as gospel, she seems to suggest that reconfiguring a weapon originally made with defining features (e.g. pinning a stock, fixing a magazine, shearing a bayonet lug, etc...) would not make the firearm not an assault weapon.

As a boundary, I try to not give advice when I answer law-themed questions, because I am not a lawyer.

The safe answer would be to not bring the AR into the Commonwealth at this time- whether it is in a configuration that would be seem compliant with the feature test, or not. That's the safe answer because it does not rely on a potential outcome/answer to any of the ambiguous questions associated with the exercise of authority by the AG with respect to her enforcement notice or the forbearances that she seems to present therewithin. Additionally, and at its face, (if everything in the enforcement notice were to be respected as written), not bringing the AR into the Commonwealth would still be the safe answer- because even if the forbearance provisions were to be honored/upheld as written, the rifle itself would not have been acquired during the window necessary for them to be applicable. Additionally, if we were to accept the enforcement notice as gospel, she seems to suggest that reconfiguring a weapon originally made with defining features (e.g. pinning a stock, fixing a magazine, shearing a bayonet lug, etc...) would not make the firearm not an assault weapon.
This. As it stands now, MA has possibly the worst AWB in the nation. Even the ny SAFE act is possibly less restrictive.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg
    aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 33
defeated...thanks maura

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the solution for now is to let another friend legally own and store it in New Hampshire, and just head up to a NH range when I want to use it... :/

My son lives in Georgia but may start jumping around with work. He is going to bring his stuff home and store with us. Is it legal for me to use his non roster handguns ie. Kimber 1911 while I am storing it for him?

My son lives in Georgia but may start jumping around with work. He is going to bring his stuff home and store with us. Is it legal for me to use his non roster handguns ie. Kimber 1911 while I am storing it for him?

You can borrow for sporting purposes only across state lines. Don't carry it.

How will your son bring them back? If he doesn't have a MA LTC I don't know the best way for him to get them back into the state legally.

Roster only applies to dealer transfers to non-LEOs. Just be mindful as Len said of >10 round mags.

This is quite informative in terms of the information! Thanks to all the legal experts!

Now a follow on; as there is no obligation to register items owned prior to moving to Mass, such as a complete rifle or stripped receiver, if a new resident with an LTC desired to do a form 1, would those items be eligible? Or would an LTC holder need to just buy a wholly new complete SBR from a manufacturer or distributor and file the form 4? Maura gummed things up real good on July 20th...

Speaking of which, are FTF EFA-10 transfers still permissible with semi auto rifles purchased in state prior to that demarcation point for firearms transacting last summer?

This is quite informative in terms of the information! Thanks to all the legal experts!

Now a follow on; as there is no obligation to register items owned prior to moving to Mass, such as a complete rifle or stripped receiver, if a new resident with an LTC desired to do a form 1, would those items be eligible? Or would an LTC holder need to just buy a wholly new complete SBR from a manufacturer or distributor and file the form 4? Maura gummed things up real good on July 20th...

Speaking of which, are FTF EFA-10 transfers still permissible with semi auto rifles purchased in state prior to that demarcation point for firearms transacting last summer?

No one looks to see what was registered when signing off Fed paperwork, so that isn't relevant.

As to the impact of Healey's unilateral re-write of MGL, that is so up in the air that nobody has answers other than what her office has posted. I have a locked Sticky in my sub-forum that outlines what we know and when/if anything substantial changes, I will add it there so it can be easily found. I don't expect that to happen for at least 2-4 more years.

Her office has said those registered before in one response and those possessed in another response, so we don't know which is controlling, can be FTF transferred between 2 MA residents with LTCs. That info should be in my above-mentioned thread.

Her office has said those registered before in one response and those possessed in another response, so we don't know which is controlling, can be FTF transferred between 2 MA residents with LTCs. That info should be in my above-mentioned thread.

Thank you, sir.

Last edited:
Yes, only issue would be that NO new large capacity mags or so-called "AWs" come into MA even for storage.

Hi All, I'm soon to obtain my LTC and I plan to import in my glock along with standard "high capacity" 15 rnd magazines purchased in 1990 and 1992. I feel as though I've been told by others not to bring high capacity mags into Massachusetts whether or not they are pre-assault weapons ban - to confirm, is it legal to bring pre-9/13/1994 magazines into Massachusetts? I assume the operative word in the above quote is "new."

Thanks y'all!

I'm slightly confused on the threaded barrel/flash hider thing.

I've got a AR that I assembled myself on a new Stag receiver in about 2008. It has a 20" White Oak Armament "Special Purpose Rifle" barrel on it, with a threaded end and pinned flash hider. It does have a pistol grip. It is in target rifle configuration, not a carbine. I have a few higher cap mags, but usually use a 10-rounder anyway, because I usually shoot from a rest.

Is that legal in MA, or do I have to get a muzzle brake welded on, or eliminate the threaded barrel? Without the full cap mags, of course.

AR-15.jpg

(Mid length gas system with full length hand guard.)

I'm slightly confused on the threaded barrel/flash hider thing.

I've got a AR that I assembled myself on a new Stag receiver in about 2008. It has a 20" White Oak Armament "Special Purpose Rifle" barrel on it, with a threaded end and pinned flash hider. It does have a pistol grip. It is in target rifle configuration, not a carbine. I have a few higher cap mags, but usually use a 10-rounder anyway, because I usually shoot from a rest.

Is that legal in MA, or do I have to get a muzzle brake welded on, or eliminate the threaded barrel? Without the full cap mags, of course.

AR-15.jpg

(Mid length gas system with full length hand guard.)

So, prior to the July 20th, 2016 proclamation from AG Healey regarding "copies and duplicates", your rifle would still have violated the AWB due to having two "features" (pistol grip and flash hider). You would have to replace the flash hider with a non-flash hider muzzle device and have it permanently affixed.

AFTER the July 20th 2016 proclamation (http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html), your rifle is an illegal "copy or duplicate" no matter what you do. You have a few choices:

1) Sell your rifle before you move to MA
2) Leave your rifle outside MA with a friend or family member
3) Break the law (as interpreted by the MA AG)

Note that there are two ongoing Federal lawsuits regarding the AG's proclamation. Your best best is to leave your rifle outside MA for the time being, then once the AG's nonsense gets struck down in court you can do the flash hider replacement and bring it in.

Ok so I have skimmed through this thread and have been slightly confused. If someone with a greater understanding could assist it would be greatly appreciated.
I will be moving to Upton MA from NH over the next few months (free house lol ) and I own 3 preban AKs (pre 1989) .. Ive been told they can come no prob and NO way from others.. And Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom