Mossberg "590 Shockwave": factory-made 14" barrel non-NFA 12GA firearm

I like the idea, but would prefer it in 20, 28 or even .410. I'm willing to lose some of the machoness in order to hit the second target. This is one gun that I don't think 16 would be superior in - not that I would say NO to one, however.

I'm a fan of cut down shotguns, not so much for pistol grip though. I've got a Stevens 520 that I made into a nice little "Whippet" pump gun with a stubby stock and 19" barrel.

I like the idea, but would prefer it in 20, 28 or even .410. I'm willing to lose some of the machoness in order to hit the second target. This is one gun that I don't think 16 would be superior in - not that I would say NO to one, however.
The old Ithaca Auto & Burglar came in 20ga, though with modern ammo, using Aguila mini-shells would take some of the sting out of firing a small 12ga.

Once you get down to .410 caliber, ditch the shoulder stock, and include nominal rifling (1:48 is common), "short barreled shotgun" rules drop away (except in states like California), leading to products like IFG's reproduction "Howdah"

I'm a fan of cut down shotguns, not so much for pistol grip though. I've got a Stevens 520 that I made into a nice little "Whippet" pump gun with a stubby stock and 19" barrel.
The shockwave grip is claimed to be less punishing than the standard pistol grip, though that is secondary to being long enough to keep the whole "firearm" above the legal minimum OAL.

So have we determined that these not-a-shotgun firearms are legal in Massachusetts?

Good luck finding one in MA for $250...not likely now
Are these available anywhere in MA at any price?

As far as the used market goes, if you install an OPSol Mini-Clip™ (See post #1 for links) it will reliably feed the Aguila mini buckshot shells, makes the recoil almost mild.

Once sales do slow down, no doubt Mossy has a 20 gauge model waiting in the wings. I could also see somebody like EAA or Pedersoli coming out with a SxS modernized "Howdah" for 20 gauge shells. Or maybe a 100 year anniversary re-issue of the Ithaca Auto & Burglar?

Personally, I like my Shockwave, and may buy another when they're back down around $370 or so. Though after watching hickok45 get maimed firing full-power loads, I'm thinking about some minor mods, take off a few of the sharper edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I want one of these "just because". Forgot all about these till I was reading a recent Shooting Illustrated issue and they had it listed.

Called shooters outpost, they do indeed have them in stock, but the guy on the phone said they don't do transfers through LGS/FFL at all, on anything? Never been there, so idk
high on my wish list (have wtb posted for awhile now)

The delay is the Ma Fa-10 form. It lists shotgun pistol or rifle, there is no box for other and dealers are worried about selling them.

I got to fiddle with one of these last weekend and the wife approved it for fathers day. Originally was gonna try to pick one up used but $369 out the door wasn't too bad. Ordered an adaptor to work with the Aguila mini-shells. 12 rounds of 11-pellet buckshot fit in it and recoil is super light. Just a shits-and-giggles gun. Feels crazy short and should be fun at the pumpkin shoot.

fUGjgEU.jpg

I called the gun parlor and they said they will accept a gun broker sale. So if you really need one and don't want to wait that is an option.

OK - just a poop and giggles question:

Can it be cut down more for CCW? It has a 14" barrel, so it's under the magic 18" shotgun barrel length, so can it be cut down a little more? It looks like you could knock two inches off immediately by making the barrel flush with the magazine band and re-working the nut. Or, cut another six inches off and move the band? Sure, mag capacity would get reduced - but with mini shells you're still looking at 1911 capacity or more - and c'mon - so what?

Thoughts?

Can it be cut down more for CCW? It has a 14" barrel, so it's under the magic 18" shotgun barrel length, so can it be cut down a little more? It looks like you could knock two inches off immediately by making the barrel flush with the magazine band and re-working the nut. Or, cut another six inches off and move the band? Sure, mag capacity would get reduced - but with mini shells you're still looking at 1911 capacity or more - and c'mon - so what?

Thoughts?
No. There is also the 26 inch overall length to worry about. Unless you want to get into SBS territory

Thoughts?

It is 26.125" as sold. If you cut more than 1/8" off any part of it you would be creating an AOW and subject to NFA laws.

Thoughts?

according to retarded federal laws, it's not a shotgun. it's a firearm. in order to stay in this magical firearm territory, it has to avoid falling into any other categories and cannot have previously been a long gun (e.g. shotgun). there's also the length requirement as mentioned. one also cannot attached a stock or else it will become an SBS. one remaining question on my end is whether one could attach a pistol brace, since it's technically not a stock.

I kinda want one even though I haven't shot my highly polished stainless mossy 500 in probably 3 years....

Pistol Brace might be pushing it, but not illegal

... there's also the length requirement as mentioned. one also cannot attached a stock or else it will become an SBS. one remaining question on my end is whether one could attach a pistol brace, since it's technically not a stock.
Before the factory versions of these existed, Black Aces had been doing exactly that with their DT/DTR.
452ad6_04ac6e85311741f0b9f05ad1f3035c05~mv2_d_2718_2718_s_4_2.jpg

I assume Black Aces has an ATF letter for their use of a "pistol brace" on a firearm where the buffer tube is not an integral part of the operating mechanism.

Their DT-12 has an 8.5" barrel, forward grip and is magazine fed. They use some Mossberg parts, but also their own billet receiver and rebuilt Saiga 12 magazines. It's 19” with the arm brace folded, but ATF measures the gun when unfolded, so at 28” it exceeds the legal minimum length.

Can it be cut down more for CCW? It has a 14" barrel, so it's under the magic 18" shotgun barrel length, so can it be cut down a little more? It looks like you could knock two inches off immediately by making the barrel flush with the magazine band and re-working the nut. Or, cut another six inches off and move the band?
There are two issues with this
  1. Every fraction of an inch you take off the front of the firearm, has to be added to the rear to stay above the magic 26" minimum length (see the black aces, above).
  2. Making this concealable, or even trying to conceal it, will really PO the ATF. When you read the ATF letter, they state that if the weapon is found actually concealed on a person, the classification could change and at that point meet the definition of an AOW.

Last edited:
I just called Gun Parlor, these are for sale to MA residents. Go nuts! But they don't have any in stock anymore, they are on back order.
Is this recent? I asked around at a few shops and they where a no-no. Not sure if it's just shops being extra careful. I need one of these bad...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Before the factory versions of these existed, Black Aces has been doing exactly that

CCG in Stoneham had one of those, or something like it about ten years ago. I was very interested, but passed as I did not want to deal with NFA at the time. Pistol grip was on spring to absorb recoil, forward pistol grip was thread and could be moved to three different angles and it had two single stack mags and a small drum with it.

Back
Top Bottom