• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg "590 Shockwave": factory-made 14" barrel non-NFA 12GA firearm

Thanks, all for the replies.

I didn't realize the 26" rule applied, since the 18" was out the window.

Oh, well. Still a bit handier than my whippet, just not as cool.

Forgot to put the links.

Order one of these....$15.:
http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/

Allows you to actually cycle them once you fit like 12 of these instead of 5 normal shells:
maxresdefault.jpg

Is the Shockwave firearm a "shotgun" under NH law?

I have absolutely no use for the Shockwave at all, yet I want one...
I'm thinking it could be a good upgrade to my "coyote gun" to keep ready on the ATV, assuming I can legally have it loaded on a vehicle under New Hampshire law. With the right load, also effective against black bear.

NH RSA said:
159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.
At 14", does the Shockwave qualifies as "a pistol carried under a permit pursuant to RSA 159" for New Hampshire law, specifically RSA 215, vehicle/ATV carry? I'm not sure how this works in relation to RSA 207:7, which specifies "shotgun" but does not define the term.

Last edited:
We have been informed by sources close to the state that the Commonwealth considers this firearm to be a handgun. With that reasoning said sources have let us know that EOPPS has already examined this and is going to put a bulletin out on it shortly.

Basically it's considered a non-mass compliant handgun. Don't have any other information and trust my memory is holding up to what I was actually told.

Steve

We have been informed by sources close to the state that the Commonwealth considers this firearm to be a handgun. With that reasoning said sources have let us know that EOPPS has already examined this and is going to put a bulletin out on it shortly.

Basically it's considered a non-mass compliant handgun. Don't have any other information and trust my memory is holding up to what I was actually told.

Steve

Damn it. Was just looking at the definitions in the law and they are probably right.

Relevant info:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

''Sawed-off shotgun'', any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Huh, by that definition, you couldn't even cut one barrel of an over under and leave the other standard.

I don't know why you'd do this, but don't - it's illegam.

Back on topic, I think this design is better than the Remington. I'm a Remington fan, at least their old stuff, but the safety seems better on the Mossberg than the Remington. The crossbolt is fine for a stocked gun, but I think it would be difficult to manipulate on a pistol gripped gun,

Steve

So like other non-mass compliant handguns it's on the dealer and not a problem to possess, correct?

Steve

there's a fair amount of information posted above without citation. further, the state can consider a firearm whatever they want. show us the statute that puts the shockwave under the EOPS roster. and while we're at it, why not just go all the way and consider it a short barrel machine gun?

how can a firearm that requires two hands and is manually operated be a handgun? come on now.

Last edited:

Steve

Got anything to back that up? Like, anything in the MGLs???...

Got anything to back that up? Like, anything in the MGLs???...

I am sorry guys...the commonwealth does not "back things up". They do what they please.

[thinking]

To answer another question it may be that they will treat the possession of one of these things like possessing a non compliant handgun...we just don't know yet...

Steve

Steve

OK - just a poop and giggles question:

Can it be cut down more for CCW? It has a 14" barrel, so it's under the magic 18" shotgun barrel length, so can it be cut down a little more? It looks like you could knock two inches off immediately by making the barrel flush with the magazine band and re-working the nut. Or, cut another six inches off and move the band? Sure, mag capacity would get reduced - but with mini shells you're still looking at 1911 capacity or more - and c'mon - so what?

Thoughts?
Non-nfa non handgun firearms are no bueno for CCW. The 26" cut off is the length that the ATF considers non concealable. If you conceal one of these, you have made an AOW, in much the same way that a hole in a wallet holster makes an AOW.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Would this not be something we could just register on an EFA-10 when we bring it back? It's still considered a shotgun in MA, correct?
Only long guns can be bought out of state. Unless you are a dual resident, you wont be allowed to purchase one by the GCA.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I know I could have gotten it cheaper but the instant gratification was worth it.

As far as 590 vs the 870 offerings, I far prefer the location of the safety on the 590. I hate the blind safety on the 870 and the remmy holds one less round.

Im gonna order up some wood furniture for mine. This is the look i am going for.

IMG_0384_zpstyvjblav.jpg

Last edited:
I think for the time being I will have to agree with you- at least on the capacity. I do like the location of the safety on the Mossburg, but I've always had trouble actuating it. I've had several 500's, and I have a 930 SPX as well, and I just freaking hate it. Maybe I just have girly thumbs, idk.

I know I could have gotten it cheaper but the instant gratification was worth it.

As far as 590 vs the 870 offerings, I far prefer the location of the safety on the 590. I hate the blind safety on the 870 and the remmy holds one less round.

Im gonna order up some wood furniture for mine. This is the look i am going for.

IMG_0384_zpstyvjblav.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I also love that wood furniture look as well. I might have to start looking for a Shockwave...

Logically speaking, the wood handle is more than likely sufficient so long as the OAL is still at least 26". That said, this is the ATF we're talking about so logic doesn't always apply.

To answer another question it may be that they will treat the possession of one of these things like possessing a non compliant handgun...we just don't know yet...

But there is no issue with us peons possessing a non-compliant handgun, as long as it doesn't run afoul of the AWB.

Back
Top Bottom