Mossberg Shockwave

What say you, gimmick or legitimate gun?

I'm considering picking one up for mostly fun and double duty as a car/bug out gun. Open to hear arguments for an against...

Or should I just buy a regular Mossberg 590a1 and call it a day...

This is one of the guns that has my interest as a toy but not really at the prices I see around here. I don't know what else it would be good for. I can't imagine it is all that pleasant to shoot. I suppose if shtf for real then you could slap a stock on it and have a easy sbs. I have a regular 590a1 and I love it. It is a nice shooting 18.5 inch barrel shotgun. Also have a 28" barrel for it as well. Out of the two I would get a regular 590a1 first. It is a more flexible gun.

What say you, gimmick or legitimate gun?

I'm considering picking one up for mostly fun and double duty as a car/bug out gun. Open to hear arguments for an against...

Or should I just buy a regular Mossberg 590a1 and call it a day...
I have one. Held one in a gun shop and had to have it. Until I fired it at the range. Two shells and I was done. I’m not a recoil pussy either.

I did buy an adapter that allows it to take mini shells (can’t cycle them without it I guess) but I haven’t tried it yet.

It’s got the cool factor, but with full power shells, it’s a freaking beast to shoot. Do they make them in 20 gauge? That would be the way to go.

I have one. Held one in a gun shop and had to have it. Until I fired it at the range. Two shells and I was done. I’m not a recoil pussy either.

Years ago, a buddy of mine had a Mossberg 12 ga. with a pistol grip only - no shoulder stock. I had the same experience, 2 shots and I was done and I was young man in my late 20's at the time.

In the right bore diameter it's legit, which means without a stock the proper chambering is .410 because you have more control under recoil.

12 is way too much in the Shockwave. Minishells... unless you want to rely on minishells always being available on shelves or in stock online I don't think is worth that gamble. 20ga is better, but still a handful.

Of course being the smallest bore the .410 is going to be laughed at, but it has potential and will be the most fun to shoot, not necessarily the most fun to pay ammo to shoot tho.

Whatever, that's the Shockwave I would buy and actually am thinking about right now.

Love mine, but it's setup for Mini shells. Coolness factor. Same thing with my Draco pistol, used to love doing mag dumps from the hip, son gave me a pistol brace, and now it's one of my favorite shooters. Pistol brace= no nose bleeds.

I remember when these came out and many serious reviewers said it was harder to aim, slower to get on target, and less comfortable to shoot than your standard shotgun. It's not a big investment if you think it's fun looking but seems like more of a toy than an improvement over a traditional configuration.

I remember when these came out and many serious reviewers said it was harder to aim, slower to get on target, and less comfortable to shoot than your standard shotgun. It's not a big investment if you think it's fun looking but seems like more of a toy than an improvement over a traditional configuration.
That's exactly what it is; a toy.

BUT, toys are fun!

It is neat.
By it, play with it, if the novelty wares off, sell it or get a tax stamp and put a stock on it.
Its probably the most economical way to get a factory configuration Mossberg SBS.

It is neat.
By it, play with it, if the novelty wares off, sell it or get a tax stamp and put a stock on it.
Its probably the most economical way to get a factory configuration Mossberg SBS.
Easy enough to get a tax stamp for a SBS? Similar to SBR?

I consider it a "belly" gun. Since it can't be shoulderd your firing from the hip so accuracy will be minimal. Maybe useful in that last ditch close quarters type scenario that no one wants to think about.

I did buy an adapter that allows it to take mini shells (can’t cycle them without it I guess) but I haven’t tried it yet.

It’s got the cool factor, but with full power shells, it’s a freaking beast to shoot. Do they make them in 20 gauge? That would be the way to go.
I have a 20g & like it… bought it as a fun toy and it’s been exactly that.

Most people make the mistake of comparing the Shockwave to a stocked shotgun.
It can’t compare to a stocked shotgun.

Compare it to a handgun and you start seeing a use case for it.
I’m not saying it’s better than a handgun, but it would do a lot of damage at handgun distances in a really small package.
I shoot mine like a handgun, pressed out in front of me, body bladed and support hand locked out to handle the recoil.
No red dot or laser, just using the front bead, sighting down the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom