• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg "590 Shockwave": factory-made 14" barrel non-NFA 12GA firearm

The 14" barrel Shockwave Edition works in Federal law because it meets the 26" OAL minimum and never had a stock, and is transferred on a 4473 just like a pistol -- this classification requires that it never had a shoulder stock, and no stock was included in the box. Mossberg has had a handful of PGO models in their catalog for years.

New Hampshire law's only reference to barrel length iswhat I quoted above from RSA 159.

Correct. I was specifically addressing the incorrect comments on legality in the state of Massachusetts by The Downtrodden

Is there any good documentation on what MGL says about shotguns, barrel length, and classification of a PGO?

Section 121:

''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Nope, less than 18" barrel.

''Sawed-off shotgun'', any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Nope, isn't "modified".

''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

OK - it DOES resemble a short-barreled shotgun, and IS detectable by x-ray machines and metal detectors.

Which option on the EFA-10 form would one select for a "Firearm" if the choices are Handgun, Machinegun, Rifle or Shotgun?

Seems like the answer is Handgun since there's no "other" and it doesn't fall within the definitions of the other options.

Section 121 doesn't define Handgun specifically, but lumps pistols and revolvers in with "other weapon of any description" as "Firearm".

Section 129A and 129B don't really talk about definitions, or even what an FA 10 form should consist of - just your duty to do it.

If it is indeed a pistol, the AWB weight limit would not apply because it's not semi-automatic.

Unfortunately that seems like it would mean it needs to be on the EOPSS "Approved Firearms Roster"..?

This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140, § 131¾ and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains weapons determined by Massachusetts approved independent testing laboratories to have satisfactorily completed the testing requirements of M.G.L. c. 140, § 123; clauses 18th; 19th; 20th; and 21st. The reports resulting from said tests were reviewed by the Gun Control Advisory Board and those makes and models listed herein were subsequently approved by the Secretary of Public Safety and Security as having complied with the statutory handgun testing provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, § 123.

Modifications to this roster are likely to occur periodically, and licensees and law enforcement personnel should always utilize the most recent roster for purposes of determining statutory compliance. The Approved Firearms Roster posted on the website of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (www.mass.gov/EOPS) will contain the most recently approved models.

Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations. Information about those regulations, as well as the Enforcement Notice may be obtained from the Office of the Attorney General and may be accessed on the website of the Attorney General (www.ago.state.ma.us).”

The Attorney Generals Regulations per 940 CMR 16.00 define a "handgun" as follows:

Handgun: shall mean a weapon, designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, from which
may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles propelled via a chemical ignition, and which
has:
(a) a smooth bore with a barrel less than 18 inches long;
(b) a smooth bore and an overall weapon length of less than 26 inches; or
(c) a rifled bore with a barrel less than 16 inches.

The AGs regulations also have this disclaimer:

The Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts promulgates 940 CMR 16.00
pursuant to authority granted to him under M.G.L. c. 93A, § 2(c). 940 CMR 16.00 defines
certain unfair acts or practices but is not intended to describe all types of practices prohibited by
M.G.L. c. 93A, § 2. 940 CMR 16.00 does not legitimize acts that are not specifically prohibited
by 940 CMR 16.00, and does not alter or amend common law rights and remedies available to
consumers. 940 CMR 16.00 is designed to supplement existing statutes and regulations.
References to statutes and other regulations shall include amendments thereto from time to time.

So it's not a pistol by the AG regs because it's not designed to be fired from one hand... but "don't hold us to that"...

I'm thoroughly confused, and missing free states.

Last edited:
Basically the Shockwave takes 4 inches off the front and moves it back out of the way

Basically the Shockwave takes 4 inches off the front, moves it behind the trigger where it's out of the way when going through a doorway, etc:
mossbergs-resized - Copy.jpg
Soo....how do I buy one in MA? And is the Raptor grip mandatory, or can I just use a regular pistol grip?
You need a stocking dealer (maybe MFS?) willing to order Mossberg item #50659.
The Raptor grip is mandatory to maintain +26" OAL.

Here is my build, showing comparison between Shockwave Raptor, factory PGO, and full wood stock
attachment.php

Shockwave is 26.5", compare to 31" for the PGO and the old school wood stock at +40".

Last edited:
Imagine the 20ga possibilities: Pedersoli Howdah, Ithaca Auto & Burglar, ...

Well, that sucks. Any other shotgun manufacturers making these?
The Mossberg is the first factory product in this niche. Individual FFLs have been converting Remington 870 and Mossberg 500s, e.g. Black Aces and Sirearms.

With Mossy paving the way and having full BATFE approval for this design, and with the election out of the way, I have no doubts we will see other manufacturers following in their footsteps. I'm hoping for modern Pedersoli Howdah reproductions.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to acquire one of these in our great state yet?
If so, please post a how to, I guess the issue seems to be what to register as, as there
is no category to register it under?

Has anyone been able to figure out how to acquire one of these in our great state yet?
If so, please post a how to, I guess the issue seems to be what to register as, as there

That, plus MA law would define one you made yourself as created from a "shotgun" (and MA has a different definition in MA law than Federal) to be a "sawed off shotgun" the penalty for which is LIFE IN PRISON.

You'd definitely need to buy the factory created model at a minimum to be safe in MA.

Yes. Go to FFL that will transfer, do paperwork, take home.

They are going to sell a million of these things... The FFL I work for had 30 on order and I doubt that will be enough. Should see the first one within a week or so

So one cannot turn a built shotgun into a SBS in MA. Can you turn the shockwave into a SBS?
Great question
I don't see why not.
Mass law prevents you from shortening the barrel on a shotgun, or installing a 14 inch barrel on a shotgun that didn't come from the factory as an SBS, but factory SBSs are good to go.

I hope they come out with a 20 gauge variant, those would sell like hotcakes

dennism said:
Can you turn the shockwave into a SBS?
You could buy one already made for about the same price.
The point of the Mossberg Shockwave is that it's $390 all in. No tax stamp, no 5320.20 required before travel across state lines.

Still kind of rare anywhere, going for [thread=332544]$419[/thread] right now. Dealers are pricing it below the $455 MSRP, but way above the $369-$389 price the big warehouse dealers are still showing (just above the words the "out of stock").

The point of the Mossberg Shockwave is that it's $390 all in. No tax stamp, no 5320.20 required before travel across state lines.

That may be the point of the shockwave, but the question I was referring to was about turning it into an SBS, meaning adding a stock, which would require the tax stamp etc. Police trade in 590 SBSs show up for under $400 on the auction sights.

I guess the one upside would be having it to play with while waiting for the paperwork to come through to add the stock.

Remington jumps into the game with the new 870 TAC-14

Looks like Remington has decided to jump in, announcing a 870 TAC-14 with list price of $443.05 (Does that number have some significance? Is Remington moving to Ohio?)
That may be the point of the shockwave, but the question I was referring to was about turning it into an SBS, meaning adding a stock, which would require the tax stamp etc. Police trade in 590 SBSs show up for under $400 on the auction sights.
One upside to a NFA-registered SBS is you have a lot more flexibility in stock and barrel length, up to the limitations of your selected action.

Taking this to the extreme:
[video=youtube_share;fxSjLllBbQ4]http://youtu.be/fxSjLllBbQ4[/video]

Back
Top Bottom