Minimum age to shoot in MA?

I tried searching for "age" but found no results, although this has probably been asked before I can't seem to find anything.

I was wondering if MA has any minimum age to just shoot/handle a rifle or handgun. Not to own or get licensed just to shoot at a private gun club under the supervision of an LTC-A.

The range I previously belonged to had a sign posted saying that no one under 21 could shoot a handgun and no one under 18 was aloud on the range. The club I currently belong to doesn't appear to have anything in the rules about minimum guest age and I want to make sure there is no leagal minimum age.

The reason I ask is that my girl friends brother (15) will be visiting us during his xmas break and I know he has an interest in firearms and wants to get into law enforcement. I think he'd enjoy a trip to the range.

I'd also like to take my brother shooting when he gets a bit older.

The range I previously belonged to had a sign posted saying that no one under 21 could shoot a handgun and no one under 18 was aloud [sic] on the range. The club I currently belong to doesn't appear to have anything in the rules about minimum guest age and I want to make sure there is no leagal [sic] minimum age.

Apparently your previous range had no junior shooters program and no desire to bring the next generation into the fold. Bad move on its part.

Anyhow, while there are age requirements for a LICENSE, there are none for shooting. So long as the non-licensed shooter is under the supervision of a license holder, the age issue is not a legal problem. As ranges are usually private property, the right of the property owner to impose rules and restrictions means minimum ages and/or license requirements certainly exists,

Obviously, supervision and instruction of the unlicensed shooter will be needed. As the other shooter is on the range as the guest of the licensee and on his/her license, there are liability consequences for those who don't take their responsibilities seriously.

Last edited:
There is NO minimum age law.

Most of the clubs I have belonged to (three of the four) have had Junior Rifle Programs where their minimum age to participate was ~11 with parental consent . . . this is an NRA/CMP sanctioned activity.

None of the clubs I've belonged to restricted age if with a responsible member. Personally I used to shoot with an attorney friend who brought his kids to the range to shoot with us when they were ~7 yo.

Clubs can set up whatever restrictions that they would like, but it's not related to MGLs, thank goodness. Reading the Outdoor Message it seems that a number of Central/Western MA clubs are NOT allowing ANY GUESTS to shoot on their property any more! Again, their property, their rules.

I have to admit that this section confuses me. There is an explicit exception for instructing students, but that is limited to shotguns or rifles. Is it legal to teach a minor to shoot a handgun? Does it also mean that you can't teach a minor to shoot using a high-capacity rifle or shotgun?

Chapter 140: Section 130. Sale or furnishing weapons or ammunition to aliens or minors; penalty; exceptions

Section 130. Whoever sells or furnishes a rifle, shotgun or ammunition to any alien eighteen years of age or older who does not hold a permit card issued to him under section one hundred and thirty-one H or, except as provided in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E, whoever sells or furnishes any alien or any person under eighteen years of age a rifle, shotgun, machine gun or ammunition, or whoever sells or furnishes to any person under 21 years of age a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor shall have his license to sell firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and or ammunition revoked and shall not be entitled to apply for such license for ten years from the date of such revocation and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than ten years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Nothing in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E shall be construed to prohibit a parent or guardian from allowing his child or ward, who has not attained age fifteen, the supervised use of a rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor, according to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine C, nor from furnishing such child or ward, who has attained age fifteen, with a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon or ammunition; provided, however, that said child or ward, being fifteen years of age or older, has been issued a valid firearm identification card or alien permit to possess a rifle or shotgun which is in his possession. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit an instructor from furnishing rifles or shotguns or ammunition therefor to pupils; provided, however, that said instructor has the consent of a parent or guardian of a pupil under the age of eighteen years.

I have to admit that this section confuses me. There is an explicit exception for instructing students, but that is limited to shotguns or rifles. Is it legal to teach a minor to shoot a handgun? Does it also mean that you can't teach a minor to shoot using a high-capacity rifle or shotgun?

If high cap rifles are out he'll be hurting. The only low cap long guns I have are 2 shotguns and an M1903... none of which would make a good first choice for teaching someone how to shoot. As scrawny as he is I'm sure 1 shot from a bolt action .30-'06 would render him finished. I have a .22 rifle but I think it's high cap.

The rounds are fed into a hole in the butt of the rifle and then a tube with a spring is inserted behind them. I guess that would be a tubular mag? The one time I used the rifle when I was about 12 I think my step father said it held 19 rounds. I haven't confirmed this now that I've inherited it 12 ish years later. One of these days I will take it apart and clean it, bring it to the range and find out for sure.

So if tuburlar mags dont' count would that mean that even if it does hold 19 or any amount over 10 it's still not high capacity?

The law pertains to detachable magazines ie 30rd ar 15 ak 47 etc

The statute makes no such distinction. Try telling the shotgunner with the 6 to 9-round tube mag on his autoloader it's not "large capacity."

Better yet, tell the ADA if you don't have an LTC for the gun.

hey scriv,mwy answer was meant for rifles as this is what he asked nothing was asked of shotguns in his question. Though the answer on shotguns is helpful as I DON'T own a shot gun as of this time gives me info should I decide to purchase one at a later date

hey scriv,mwy answer was meant for rifles as this is what he asked nothing was asked of shotguns in his question. Though the answer on shotguns is helpful as I DON'T own a shot gun as of this time gives me info should I decide to purchase one at a later date

A tubular magazine is a tubular magazine, regardless of whether it's on a shotgun or a rifle.

I was hoping that two years later it was clear. Perhaps it is not as no one has replied definitively one way or the other. Other than the last sentence in section, there is nothing specific to instruction (as I read the section) With respect to instruction there is no mention of handguns.
Well, you need to realize that the word "firearm" basically means "handgun" in that section of the law.

Section 130. Whoever sells or furnishes a rifle, shotgun or ammunition to any alien eighteen years of age or older who does not hold a permit card issued to him under section one hundred and thirty-one H or, except as provided in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E, whoever sells or furnishes any alien or any person under eighteen years of age a rifle, shotgun, machine gun or ammunition, or whoever sells or furnishes to any person under 21 years of age a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor shall have his license to sell firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and or ammunition revoked and shall not be entitled to apply for such license for ten years from the date of such revocation and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than ten years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
You can't sell or "furnish" a handgun or large capacity long gun to anyone under 21 years of age. So, wtf does "furnish" mean? It isn't defined. Maybe there is case law.

Nothing in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E shall be construed to prohibit a parent or guardian from allowing his child or ward, who has not attained age fifteen, the supervised use of a rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor, according to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine C, nor from furnishing such child or ward, who has attained age fifteen, with a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon or ammunition; provided, however, that said child or ward, being fifteen years of age or older, has been issued a valid firearm identification card or alien permit to possess a rifle or shotgun which is in his possession. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit an instructor from furnishing rifles or shotguns or ammunition therefor to pupils; provided, however, that said instructor has the consent of a parent or guardian of a pupil under the age of eighteen years.
So, parents, guardians, and instructors can teach people under the age of 18 using non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. But it doesn't say you can teach them with large capacity long guns or handguns. So, if the "furnish" language above prohibits that activity, then you can't. If the "furnish" language above means something different...

IANAL, I've looked at this language several times, and I simply can't make heads or tails of it.

From reading the quoted section, I get the feeling that they meant "transfer" when they said "furnish" but can't be sure.

I believe GOAL challenged this section, among others in the 1998 Gun Control Legislation, on vagueness grounds and their case was dismissed. I will find the decision later.

Don't know the law as I haven't read it, but I take my 14 year old son to Smith & Wesson every Sunday shooting. They have no limit to what guns we can rent as far as size or capacity for him. Their rules are age 12-17 with a Parent or Legal guardian with them at all times.

I take my son to the range as often as I can. He shoots his Henry Golden Boy 22 lever action and it holds 16 rounds of 22 lr or 21 rounds of 22 short. None of the LEO's that frequent the club have ever said a word except to offer him encouragement. He is 10 years old. Neither of my clubs have any rule relating to age and my primary club has a junior program that I will enroll my son in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom