Mini Gunsmithing Frustration Rant

Have you ever dug into a gunsmithing job you thought you could handle that turns into an unmitigated disaster? I spent over four hours last night trying to install an MCARBO action spring kit for my Marlin model 60. Holy cr@p! I've installed hammer springs on other guns, changed minor parts, trigger groups, etc., but was not at all prepared for this project. Having owned Marlins for years, I can take apart and reassemble for cleaning no problem, I thought I'd merely have to change a few springs that wouldn't be all that bad. Well, the Marlin 60 action is overly complex (for me) and seemed like a Swiss watch. Once I dove in, I quickly got over my head because the instructions were abysmal, but there was no turning back as I grew more and more frustrated and tried to get things back together through trial and error.

I ended up trying to manhandle small springs and components into place and really brutalized the poor action. [shocked] With a clearer head this morning, I decided to try to find more detailed photos and instructions online and realized I had one small spring that was slightly misplaced. Didn't even need to pop any more e-clips or disassemble to fix, just popped it into the right position with a screwdriver and it seems to work fine now.

From the reviews I'd seen of this project, I had heard one guy who put it in his Marlin 795 in about a 1/2 hour. With the lift system and crappy spring ejector of the 60, I'd wager its installation is quite a bit trickier. Needless to say, after feeling like I was destroying my rifle last night, it was one of my worst gun experiences.

Now I'm dreading fixing my Auto-5 which has the bolt stuck rearwards due to scope tap holes. [thinking]

Since I'm so... frugal, I like to do projects myself if I can save on professional gun-smithing bills.

Oh, an nothing against MCARBO, but I didn't really think you'd need to be a gunsmith to install it. [laugh]

image_zps6468dc58.jpg

image_zpsbb256165.jpg

In the end, I don't think any serious harm was done.

How does trigger feel now? I have an older 99c that is heavy and gritty. Definitely needs some work.

I have marlin 60 I took apart to clean, the trigger and action are a PITA for sure I feel your pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some times things just don't work the way you want.
Atilla hates me now from what I did yesterday lol
3u5a7a7u.jpg

The cheap Walmart red dot is a joke.

Had to shatter a tap out of one of scope mount holes. Ill be fixing it Monday what I can "borrow" tools from the machine shop I run at work.

BerkshireHunter - one thing I have learned over the years is you NEVER, EVER do a job right the first time.

Next time I'm certain you'd complete the task much quicker, with far less frustration.

That's why I applaud you for trying. You'll never get to a second time unless you're brave enough to tackle the first.

Some times things just don't work the way you want.
Atilla hates me now from what I did yesterday lol
3u5a7a7u.jpg

The cheap Walmart red dot is a joke.

Had to shatter a tap out of one of scope mount holes. Ill be fixing it Monday what I can "borrow" tools from the machine shop I run at work.

you only started calling the dot a joke after i said you were worse than hitler.

BerkshireHunter - one thing I have learned over the years is you NEVER, EVER do a job right the first time.

Next time I'm certain you'd complete the task much quicker, with far less frustration.

That's why I applaud you for trying. You'll never get to a second time unless you're brave enough to tackle the first.

Very true, probably could do it again in about 30-40 minutes.

I rebuilt a camera lens once. Got it all taken apart and cleaned, went to put it together and realized that there is a reason most photographers send the lens out to be rebuilt. Same kind of "oh sh*t, what did I get myself into??" moment you're talking about. Like you, I just took a break, calmed down, and managed to get it all back together properly. Good thing I did, hammers and camera lenses do not make a happy couple. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom