• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester Rimfire Rant

Retired-LEO

NES Member
M22.jpeg Silvertip.jpeg

A friend gave me a bunch of Winchester .22LR ammunition (2) Types: #1) M22 & #2) Silvertip

First off I have been shooting Rimfire for about 40 years. Out of the 40 years I have found Winchester Rimfire to be some of the worst rimfire rounds made.

The quality control on Winchester is đź’© crap. Many of the M22's were crooked, improperly seated and many had primers that would not go off even

with decent double strikes. So I figured it's because the M22 is their bulk đź’© crap. So I tried the Winchester Silvertip (which is packaged 50 per box).

As I attempted to fire the Silvertip's out of (2) Ruger pistols that are usually extremely reliable: A Ruger MKIV 22/45 LITE and a LCP2 22LR. both pistols

had constant problems with the Silvertip's they would not fire two rounds in a row both had constant failure to feed and or failure to eject.

After shooting ALL of the Silvertips's 100 rounds (literally one at a time and clear the malfunction. I pulled out a bag of assorted 22LR's (made up

of CCI, Aguila, Remington and Federal... Both pistols had no issues firing ANY of the brands other than Winchester. Needless to say I have ZERO

interest in shooting Winchester Rimfire again!

I have a bunch of different .22LR ammo. Some of it I have set aside as crap ammo. Any Winchester ammo I have is in that group.

You're not the only one who has expressed their displeasure with Winchester .22 ammo lately.
Several posts about it in this recent thread:

Winchester does not make good ammo. Once in a while they get it right for some calibers.

If you pick a random powder load from a reloading book, with one bullet weight, chances are that ammo will be as accurate or better than Winchester ammo.

Interesting i havent had issues with that stuff..but i also havent shot it in a while

The white box bulk packs were just trash

The majority of issues I see with Winchester rinfire is cycling in autos, so I see it as a brand that is best kept to using in manual actions like revolvers, bolt, and lever action.

The priming is not as good as CCi. I only buy either Hyper Velocity or bulk 555, nothing else Winchester makes for .22 interests me.

Back
Top Bottom