• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmithing services

Darkslide

NES Member
If I send a gun out for gunsmithing service, can they ship the gun directly to my house? Or do they have to ship to FFL. If they have to ship to FFL, will I need another background check and a transfer to receive the gun I already own?

If I send a gun out for gunsmithing service, can they ship the gun directly to my house? Or do they have to ship to FFL. If they have to ship to FFL, will I need another background check and a transfer to receive the gun I already own?
It is legal for them to send it back to you. Whether or not they can get a common carrier to do so is a different question.

If you send it directly to them then then they can ship it back directly to you. If you ship it from an FFL to them then they need to ship it back to the FFL

You’ll need to check with your FFL what they charge you for shipping and receiving back from a gun smith.

I had sent my M1A back to Springfield armory years ago
UPSs policy was that you had to re pick up the rifle at a facility no truck delivery

t that time anyway

The last time I had to ship a rifle for work, I shipped it myself via USPS and it was sent directly back.

Since non FFL’s can’t ship handguns via USPS and UPS and FedEx changed their rules, you pretty much have to use an FFL.
If your gunsmith has an FFL then he could send you a prepaid label since it’s on his license. So ask him if he does that

All three(!) times I sent my PCC back to the manufacturer, the sent me a UPS label and I didn't have to involve an FFL in either direction. I'm not sure but it may have helped that it was a takedown model and shipped with the barrel detached.

Since non FFL’s can’t ship handguns via USPS and UPS and FedEx changed their rules, you pretty much have to use an FFL.
If your gunsmith has an FFL then he could send you a prepaid label since it’s on his license. So ask him if he does that
Correct anoout non-FFLs not being able to ship a gun via US snail.

Incorrect about 'having to use an FFL". You can ship a gun to an FFL for repair. In the case of federal law, a manufacturer may even return a different serial number model of the same gun in lieu of repair.

UPS and I believe Fedex require you use overnight shipping so their employees have fewer opportunties to steal the gun.

"Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)). "

Anything for repair/customization can be given directly back to you without the need for a 4473. This doesn't mean some companies and/or FFLs will not make up their own policies and pass them off as "rules."

Correct anoout non-FFLs not being able to ship a gun via US snail.

Incorrect about 'having to use an FFL". You can ship a gun to an FFL for repair. In the case of federal law, a manufacturer may even return a different serial number model of the same gun in lieu of repair.

UPS and I believe Fedex require you use overnight shipping so their employees have fewer opportunties to steal the gun.

Both UPS and FedEx changed their rules over the past couple of years and require the shipping label to be on an account with an FFL on file.

I’ve used shipmygun.com and had an FFL send me a prepaid label for UPS, but unless you have an account with an FFL attached they say they won’t ship otherwise.

So, for shipping a handgun you pretty much need an FFL involved. How else would you suggest shipping a handgun? I agree it’s not against the law to ship via UPS or FedEx but it’s against their policy, so if something happens during shipping you’re SOL for filing a claim.

UPS even went full retard and you can’t even ship any accessories like a mag or grip. They only allow scopes from “normal” people

Last edited:
Both UPS and FedEx changed their rules over the past couple of years and require the shipping label to be on an account with an FFL on file.

I’ve used shipmygun.com and had an FFL send me a prepaid label for UPS, but unless you have an account with an FFL attached they say they won’t ship otherwise.

So, for shipping a handgun you pretty much need an FFL involved. How else would you suggest shipping a handgun? I agree it’s not against the law to ship via UPS or FedEx but it’s against their policy, so if something happens during shipping you’re SOL for filing a claim.

UPS even went full retard and you can’t even ship any accessories like a mag or grip. They only allow scopes from “normal” people
Some shipping accounts are provisioned to where you can generate a shipping label for a customer so it reads as the FFL is sending it. But you still cannot use USPS and you would still need to drop the firearm off at a UPS Customer Center (or the FedEx Equivalent).

Anything for repair/customization can be given directly back to you without the need for a 4473. This doesn't mean some companies and/or FFLs will not make up their own policies and pass them off as "rules."
Bingo!!!

I am not aware any company that does not have their own rule that replacement with a different serial number must go through an FFL.

it. But you still cannot use USPS and you would still need to drop the firearm off at a UPS Customer Center (or the FedEx Equivalent).
You can also have it picked up by UP$ or Fedex, but you cannot ship via an intermediary such as a "UPS Store", CVS (a UPS shipper) or Walgreens (A Fedex shipper)

Sadly neither UPS nor FedEx will accept a gun for shipping from a non-FFL.
Untrue, provided you got an an actual UPS or Fedex facility.

Last edited:
Bingo!!!

I am not aware any company that does not have their own rule that replacement with a different serial number must go through an FFL.

You can also have it picked up by UP$ or Fedex, but you cannot ship via an intermediary such as a "UPS Store", CVS (a UPS shipper) or Walgreens (A Fedex shipper)

Also worth noting: UPS and FedEx tend to make their own rules as well at the local customer center level. Every so often, you'll find a rep (maybe a manager as well) completely unfamiliar with the company policies and practices. Avoid letting them know it's a firearm at all costs...even if you're an FFL with an approved shipping account.

When I blew up the BFR in 2020, Magnum Research sent me a prepaid label. I printed it, slapped it on a box, dropped it off at FedEx and walked away.

I don't even think they asked what I was shipping. I had to go to one of their warehouses, couldn't use a local store.

rob. Why do you keep saying this? UPS and FedEx both changed their rules

From FedEx’ website
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx

From UPS
Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

All three(!) times I sent my PCC back to the manufacturer, the sent me a UPS label and I didn't have to involve an FFL in either direction. I'm not sure but it may have helped that it was a takedown model and shipped with the barrel detached.
The manufacturer is an FFL. So there is an FFL involved. Shipping is allowed both ways because it happens on a label provided by the manufacturer (FFL).

For what it’s worth- I have not tried this- I have heard/read that a C&R holder (which IS a type of FFL) can somewhat easily setup their own FFL shipping account with UPS. Apparently it can be done with a phone call.

rob. Why do you keep saying this? UPS and FedEx both changed their rules
I regret that I have but one like to give to your post with the updated information.

Sounds like time for an 03 FFL.

What is the penalty (other than denial of any insurance claim) for violating UPS tarriffs in the shipping if you otherwise comply with federal law?

I have both UPS and Fedex shipping accounts but obviously no FFL coding .... yet.

Last edited:
I regret that I have but one like to give to your post with the updated information.

Sounds like time for an 03 FFL.

What is the penalty (other than denial of any insurance claim) for violating UPS tarriffs in the shipping if you otherwise comply with federal law?

I have both UPS and Fedex shipping accounts but obviously no FFL coding .... yet.

I emailed them about a year ago when they made their new rules to see about adding an 03FFL to my accounts. I got a few replies but then it ran in to a dead end and I never got clear instructions or information on doing it. I should just call them.

And to your question…. Since it’s not against federal law, I think it would just be the denial of filing a claim. But that’s just a guess.

I emailed them about a year ago when they made their new rules to see about adding an 03FFL to my accounts. I got a few replies but then it ran in to a dead end and I never got clear instructions or information on doing it. I should just call them.

And to your question…. Since it’s not against federal law, I think it would just be the denial of filing a claim. But that’s just a guess.
I wouldn’t tell them that you are an 03 FFL. Just tell them that you are an FFL. My guess is that if you provide them the 03 FFL paperwork that 9 out of 10 of them won’t know the difference.

So fedex is the only one that you can ship a gun through,,you have to go to a pack and ship store you can't have them pick it up at your house. I just shipped a riffle to the factory someone has to be there to sign for it and when it comes back you have to be there to sign for it.and yes you have to verbally tell them it's a firearm

Your avatar places you on the North Shore (I assume MA) area so why not just take it to Steve at Northeast Arms - route one southbound in Peabody. Knows his stuff & does a great job at a reasonable cost and timeframe.
I always use Steve and he's always been more than reasonable. Highly recommended.

Bingo!!!

You cannot process a shipment of anything related to firearms thru a UPS store if they are boxing it for you - they need to see what is going into one of their boxes and will reject it. But if you have a prepaid label, box it yourself and just drop it off there - they do not ask what is inside the box. That is the way around their "will not ship any kind of firearm related products" policy.

You cannot process a shipment of anything related to firearms thru a UPS store if they are boxing it for you - they need to see what is going into one of their boxes and will reject it. But if you have a prepaid label, box it yourself and just drop it off there - they do not ask what is inside the box. That is the way around their "will not ship any kind of firearm related products" policy.
CVS is a dropoff point for UPS, and even better if you have an account. At the closest UPS store to me they just say "put in in that pile" and it gets scanned when the UPS driver picks it up. When I drop off at CVS, the employee always scans the UPS package at the time of acceptance so I have proof that it was indeed tendered to a UPS agent. As a bonues, here is a 24x7 (except for pharmacy) CVS much closet to me than CVS. Walgreens does the same thing for Fedex.

Back
Top Bottom