Milton firefighter shot in Quincy in alleged road rage attack

Poor cokehead got shot....that's awful.....I hope he recovers soon so he can get arrested again and call police racially derogative names...what a great guy...

My guess is that the victim was under the influence of alcohol and waited to come forward.If he didn't he would prob. be facing drunk driving and drunk while carrying a firearm.Why stack the deck against yourself?

That actually makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought of that.

Now he's got a very good chance of a spending a long time in prison.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the jury and his lawyer. [wink]

I guess it depends on how random this whole thing was. If someone is chasing you (you recognize the vehicle), trying to run you off the road/ram you, etc, and you don't want to put innocent people at risk with a high speed escape, sooner or later you need to stop to defend yourself, right? Maybe?

I agree. With the info we have now this doesn't seem like a great case to elaborate on that point, but I agree with you, stopping to fight may be your best option at times.

Personally, I'm awaiting further revelations before making up my mind either way.

Me too.

I think we can all agree he shouldn't have gotten out of the car. Even if he was blocked from leaving, he was safer in his car.

I disagree on that. The driver's seat of a car is a pretty crappy defensive position to be in, especially if your attacker is armed with a knife, bat, gun, etc. The advantage of a car is that it drives. If you can't effectively drive it and the fight is still on, in most situations you need to get out.

So would you get out before or after the person presented a weapon? I.E. anticipate or wait.

Depends entirely on the situation (i.e. when I actually saw the weapon), but obviously I'd want to be ahead of the curve. A few months ago some guys tried to carjack the car I was in, but we were able to drive away, because we read the situation and got out of the trap before it closed.

Depends entirely on the situation (i.e. when I actually saw the weapon), but obviously I'd want to be ahead of the curve. A few months ago some guys tried to carjack the car I was in, but we were able to drive away, because we read the situation and got out of the trap before it closed.

Good catch and glad you're okay. What I love with my new car is the car stays running, but you can't drive it without the fob in my pocket. So get out...here you go Mr. Carjacker....you let him get the the car....then you get ready! [smile]

Last edited:
Haha, well maybe, but I had a Glock on and he was a 1911 guy, so... [wink]

yes, but the principles still hold up. Always be in code yellow! BTW, how do you like your Glock? I've always been more of a Sig guy and I love my P220 .45! Two less bullets, but every one packs a punch!

yes, but the principles still hold up. Always be in code yellow! BTW, how do you like your Glock? I've always been more of a Sig guy and I love my P220 .45! Two less bullets, but every one packs a punch!

We're getting pretty far off topic, I'll PM you.

Where did that happen?

Where did that happen?

Jacksonville, FL, when I moved down from Mass. a couple of months ago. A bunch of white kids in a car with out of state plates, loaded down with stuff, obviously lost in a very bad neighborhood apparantly looked like a good target.

Okay, can you elaborate on a few points? I'm not sure if you were saying "for instance" or these facts are true. I know he was most likely coked up and he has been very agressive. Did he actually beat his GF and possibly had a hand in the death of an infant? If so, please send us the sources....I just haven't heard this before.

Bolds added by me

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/c...e-and-tragic-death-part-of-firefighter-s-past

Violence and tragic death part of firefighter’s past

QUINCY —

The past of a Milton firefighter shot in the abdomen includes investigations of domestic violence involving a girlfriend, the sudden death of an infant girl that he fathered with another woman and a spotty driving record.

In March 2007, Joseph Fasano was arrested after police say he assaulted his then-girlfriend, Robyn Mayo, at their Weymouth apartment.

Police returned to the residence five months later and arrested Mayo on charges that she hit Fasano with a lamp and broke his 61-inch flat screen television, according to court records.

Tragedy stuck Fasano on May 27, 2005, when his baby daughter died at Children’s Hospital in Boston. A medical examiner’s certificate of death filed with the Milton town clerk’s office lists the cause of death as “sudden” due to “inappropriate sleep environment.”

The baby’s injuries resulted from “co-sleeping on couch with adult,” the death certificate states. The incident occurred at the Milton home of the child’s maternal grandparents. Fasano and the baby’s mother weren’t married.

Robert O’Connell, 40, a member of a prominent and wealthy Quincy family, has been charged with shooting Fasano, 30, on a Quincy street Saturday night in what police initially described as a road-rage incident. Fasano’s live-in girlfriend, Jennifer Bynarowicz, was with him when he was shot and initially told police that it was a random incident.

Authorities have said Fasano had cocaine on his face when rescue workers arrived and traces of the drug were also found in the Jeep he was driving. Bynarowicz, 34, of Quincy, who owns the Jeep, told police the cocaine was hers.

Bynarowicz is linked to the O’Connell family through Robert’s uncle, developer William O’Connell, whom she once dated. William O’Connell owns the condo that Bynarowicz and Fasano live in on Quincy Shore Drive.

Fasano, who was appointed a Milton firefighter in September 2005, was ordered to serve just over a year of probation following his arrest in the 2007 Mayo assault.

Police said Fasano appeared to be drunk and “screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs,” when officers arrived at the couple’s residence.

Fasano also flashed his firefighter’s badge as he told officers he wanted Mayo removed from the apartment, a police report stated.

The couple’s relationship again turned violent in August 2007 when Mayo, 38, was arrested on domestic assault charges.

The charges against Mayo were dismissed in October 2007 after Fasano failed to show up in court.

When the incident occurred, Fasano told police that Mayo became angry with him and began breaking items in their apartment when he got a call to work overtime

Mayo alleged Fasano had held a machete to her head, according to a police report. But police Officer Kevin Malloy wrote that a cut on Fasano’s face was consistent with an injury Mayo could have caused when she allegedly hit the firefighter with a lamp.

“Fasano stated to me that he wished I would not arrest her but just get her out of the house,” Malloy wrote.

Fasano’s driving record includes a number of accidents, motor vehicle offenses and suspensions that date back to 1998, according to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Since the shooting, Fasano has had several surgeries at Boston Medical Center.

While an ambulance was taking Fasano to the hospital, he reportedly told police that a Porsche in front of him slammed on its brakes, and he left his vehicle to confront the sports car’s driver when he was shot.

Bolds added by me

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/c...e-and-tragic-death-part-of-firefighter-s-past

Violence and tragic death part of firefighter’s past

QUINCY —

The past of a Milton firefighter shot in the abdomen includes investigations of domestic violence involving a girlfriend, the sudden death of an infant girl that he fathered with another woman and a spotty driving record.

In March 2007, Joseph Fasano was arrested after police say he assaulted his then-girlfriend, Robyn Mayo, at their Weymouth apartment.

Police returned to the residence five months later and arrested Mayo on charges that she hit Fasano with a lamp and broke his 61-inch flat screen television, according to court records.

Tragedy stuck Fasano on May 27, 2005, when his baby daughter died at Children’s Hospital in Boston. A medical examiner’s certificate of death filed with the Milton town clerk’s office lists the cause of death as “sudden” due to “inappropriate sleep environment.”

The baby’s injuries resulted from “co-sleeping on couch with adult,” the death certificate states. The incident occurred at the Milton home of the child’s maternal grandparents. Fasano and the baby’s mother weren’t married.

Robert O’Connell, 40, a member of a prominent and wealthy Quincy family, has been charged with shooting Fasano, 30, on a Quincy street Saturday night in what police initially described as a road-rage incident. Fasano’s live-in girlfriend, Jennifer Bynarowicz, was with him when he was shot and initially told police that it was a random incident.

Authorities have said Fasano had cocaine on his face when rescue workers arrived and traces of the drug were also found in the Jeep he was driving. Bynarowicz, 34, of Quincy, who owns the Jeep, told police the cocaine was hers.

Bynarowicz is linked to the O’Connell family through Robert’s uncle, developer William O’Connell, whom she once dated. William O’Connell owns the condo that Bynarowicz and Fasano live in on Quincy Shore Drive.

Fasano, who was appointed a Milton firefighter in September 2005, was ordered to serve just over a year of probation following his arrest in the 2007 Mayo assault.

Police said Fasano appeared to be drunk and “screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs,” when officers arrived at the couple’s residence.

Fasano also flashed his firefighter’s badge as he told officers he wanted Mayo removed from the apartment, a police report stated.

The couple’s relationship again turned violent in August 2007 when Mayo, 38, was arrested on domestic assault charges.

The charges against Mayo were dismissed in October 2007 after Fasano failed to show up in court.

When the incident occurred, Fasano told police that Mayo became angry with him and began breaking items in their apartment when he got a call to work overtime

Mayo alleged Fasano had held a machete to her head, according to a police report. But police Officer Kevin Malloy wrote that a cut on Fasano’s face was consistent with an injury Mayo could have caused when she allegedly hit the firefighter with a lamp.

“Fasano stated to me that he wished I would not arrest her but just get her out of the house,” Malloy wrote.

Fasano’s driving record includes a number of accidents, motor vehicle offenses and suspensions that date back to 1998, according to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Since the shooting, Fasano has had several surgeries at Boston Medical Center.

While an ambulance was taking Fasano to the hospital, he reportedly told police that a Porsche in front of him slammed on its brakes, and he left his vehicle to confront the sports car’s driver when he was shot.

Diver, thank you for taking the time to put this together.

Diver, thank you for taking the time to put this together.
+1 The more I read, the more it sounds like the rich kid should beat this rap with a lesser charge and probation alone. If only he didn't run away and hide for three days, he'da really had it made. That Milton firefighter is a complete train wreck... a disaster just looking for a place to happen.

CLMN

Cokie may very well be one bad dude. But the fact that he beat his girlfriend(s) in the past doesn't help Mr. Porsche.

In MA, if you are outside of your house you must retreat if it is safe to do so. It appears that Mr. Porsche driver had alternatives for leaving the scene, which he chose not to use. It appears that this was mutual combat, and that may preclude his ability to claim self defense. In a one-versus-one fight, if your attacker is unarmed and there is no dramatic disparity of force (e.g., 110' weakling versus Andre Arlovski), it may be very to convince judge or jury that deadly force was justified.

Cokie's background may never even be allowed into evidence at Mr. Porsche's trial.

Last edited:
But the fact that he beat his girlfriend(s) in the past doesn't help Mr. Porsche.
It doesn't give Mr. Porshce a "pass", but should certainly help a bit - if only to make a conviction less certain and the prosecution more willing to deal.

Cokie's background may never even be allowed into evidence at Mr. Porsche's trial.

There was a recent SJC decision that allows past behavior of the injured party to be introduced at trial when a claim of self defense is being used. Once the defense manages to get the court to allow an argument of self defense, getting this admitted should be a given.

I don't know anything other than what has been reported in the media. It's not possible to figure out why Mr. Porsche got out of his car (was he run off the road? Thought he had been hit and needed to exchange papers? decided to get out to see what the other driver wanted? no way to tell from the paper); nor is it possible to determine what the situation was at the exact moment the conflict escalated. It's easy to assume he could have retreated, but one really needs more info to know exactly what was happening at that moment.

At minimum, the defense attorney has much more to work with - both from a trial and plea negotiation standpoint - than he would be if the only things the media could find out about this firefighter was all the lives he saved while doing his job.

It's amazing how a trial can last days or weeks, but people who see literally minutes of media coverage are able to determine that the jury was wrong.

Last edited:
It doesn't give Mr. Porsche a "pass", but should certainly help a bit - if only to make a conviction less certain and the prosecution more willing to deal.

There was a recent SJC decision that allows past behavior of the injured party to be introduced at trial when a claim of self defense is being used. Once the defense manages to get the court to allow an argument of self defense, getting this admitted should be a given.

I don't know anything other than what has been reported in the media. It's not possible to figure out why Mr. Porsche got out of his car (was he run off the road? Thought he had been hit and needed to exchange papers? decided to get out to see what the other driver wanted? no way to tell from the paper); nor is it possible to determine what the situation was at the exact moment the conflict escalated. It's easy to assume he could have retreated, but one really needs more info to know exactly what was happening at that moment.

At minimum, the defense attorney has much more to work with - both from a trial and plea negotiation standpoint - than he would be if the only things the media could find out about this firefighter was all the lives he saved while doing his job.

It's amazing how a trial can last days or weeks, but people who see literally minutes of media coverage are able to determine that the jury was wrong.
In regard to your comments I placed in bold: Whether or not rich kid was hit and essentially forced to stop, I'll bet you 100% that his attorneys will present it in court as fact that he was hit/bumped and was made/forced to stop.

Even if Cokie and his girlfriend deny it, it ends up rich kid's word against Cokie's & GF's words.

Together with everything else involved here (family money/influence, best attorneys money can buy, rich kid's delicate medical condition, civil case out-of-court settlement, Cokie's violent history, Cokie's white mustache, etc.), rich kid will never spend one additional day in jail.

Anybody here want to bet otherwise?

CLMN

Last edited:
In regard to your comments I placed in bold: Whether or not rich kid was hit and essentially forced to stop, I'll bet you 100% that his attorneys will present it in court as fact that he was hit/bumped and was made/forced to stop.
If he was hit, there would be body damage on the vehicles.

The lack of body damage is not proof that the driver did not honestly think his bumper had been tapped.
Correct. I was hit from behind rather badly one day by a dumbass kid on his lunch break not looking where he was going. Shook me up badly... but guess what? Not so much as a smudge mark on my rear bumper. Go figure.

CLMN

Back
Top Bottom