• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mental Health Treatment/Massachusetts LTC?

Hey guys, just a question. A couple years back, I began having panic attacks and anxiety precipitated by the stresses of grad school. I was not institutionalized. I voluntarily sought treatment to better my quality of life. My chart literally says generalized anxiety/panic, probable PTSD from childhood violence and abuse, no threat to self or others. I do take medication to control the panic attacks. Is this something that will disqualify me from getting an LTC-A in MA?

I ask because
1. It's a real concern for me.
2. With the media coverage of what's going on and the call for mental health screenings, it's important to remember not all mental health issues are created equal, nor do they make someone inherently dangerous, gun or no gun.

I fear that this kind of thinking may cause a lot of people to decide to go untreated. :(

Honest in Austin,
Chris

what kind of treatment did you receive? you of course do not have to go into detail. basically as long as you were not involuntarily committed i think you don't even have to say anything about it. IANAL, YMMV...

what kind of treatment did you receive? you of course do not have to go into detail. basically as long as you were not involuntarily committed i think you don't even have to say anything about it. IANAL, YMMV...

Typical anxiety treatment: Cognitive behavioral therapy, medication as needed for panic attacks.

I was just looking at the form... It does look like all they ask is if you've been committed involuntarily, which was not the case at all. I just wanted to try to get back to my old self and work through my anxiety. It was completely voluntary.

It begs the question of "how far will they go". Today, your situation is a non issue but someday, it wouldn't surprise me if they made you share your medical records to obtain an LTC. "Oh, you were prescribed (insert any anti depressant drug here) 11 years ago for anxiety and panic disorder. Sorry, you are mentally unfit.....DENIED!"

It begs the question of "how far will they go". Today, your situation is a non issue but someday, it wouldn't surprise me if they made you share your medical records to obtain an LTC. "Oh, you were prescribed (insert any anti depressant drug here) 11 years ago for anxiety and panic disorder. Sorry, you are mentally unfit.....DENIED!"

I have a family member of mine that was denied in new jersey because he had ADHD and was being treated for it as an adult. His licensing officer told him to take it up in court.

This is what concerns me. I know of folks (women) who have had been prescribed anti-depressents in low doses to help with menopausal symptoms. Just like they are used for smoking cessation - they are not a one size fits all medication. Yet it would not surprise me if some day in the near future any such use (past or present) is a disqualifier.

This is what concerns me. I know of folks (women) who have had been prescribed anti-depressents in low doses to help with menopausal symptoms. Just like they are used for smoking cessation - they are not a one size fits all medication. Yet it would not surprise me if some day in the near future any such use (past or present) is a disqualifier.

Don't offer any info that isn't asked for on the form. Medical information is private and protected. The COP can ask you whatever he wants, but you should not answer any personal medical questions.

not just that but medications classified as psychiatric medications can be and are prescribed for multitudes of other types of treatment, too. definitely more than you touched on as well. i don't think they'd push for something that broad--but look at what MXD posted. [hmmm]

Don't offer any info that isn't asked for on the form. Medical information is private and protected. The COP can ask you whatever he wants, but you should not answer any personal medical questions.

also of course this. this so very hard.

...I was not institutionalized ... Is this something that will disqualify me from getting an LTC-A in MA?...

If you were not "confined", you are not statutorily disqualified...

Form FA25/26 said:
8. Have you ever been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness?

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/resident-ltc-fid-application.pdf

MGL 140-131 said:
(d) Any person ... may submit to such licensing authority ... an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms ... which such licensing authority ... may issue ... unless the applicant:

>snip<

(ii) has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits with his application an affidavit of a registered physician attesting that such physician is familiar with the applicant's mental illness and that in such physician's opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that should prevent such applicant from possessing a firearm;

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

If I were the OP I would start the application process now. There's no guarantee of what the future may hold, but since you don't appear to have any disqualifiers at the present time.....

Imagine if they tried to enforce vision tests,
"sir, I see you are wearing very thick eyeglasses. I cannot guarantee that you wouldn't miss your target and hit a child....unsuitable"

"What if I use a scope, Your Majesty Licensing Officer Sir?"

Hey guys, just a question. A couple years back, I began having panic attacks and anxiety precipitated by the stresses of grad school. I was not institutionalized. I voluntarily sought treatment to better my quality of life. My chart literally says generalized anxiety/panic, probable PTSD from childhood violence and abuse, no threat to self or others. I do take medication to control the panic attacks. Is this something that will disqualify me from getting an LTC-A in MA?

I ask because
2. With the media coverage of what's going on and the call for mental health screenings, it's important to remember not all mental health issues are created equal, nor do they make someone inherently dangerous, gun or no gun.

I fear that this kind of thinking may cause a lot of people to decide to go untreated. :(

Honest in Austin,
Chris

A friend of mine was recently disqualified for this. I didn't ask if he still takes medication, though.

NJ makes us look like a free paradise. [puke]

I agree 100%, but Hawaii has the same type of practice in place. Although this is not happening now, who's to say that someone with ADHD, like my cousin, will be allowed to exercise his second amendment? Lets be honest, this state could start demanding a high level mental health check.

A friend of mine was recently disqualified for this. I didn't ask if he still takes medication, though.

Is it because they asked him mental health questions, and he divulged information, or they found out through some external means?

I can only imagine that a lot of these are from people divulging too much information.

-Mike

Is it because they asked him mental health questions, and he divulged information, or they found out through some external means?

I can only imagine that a lot of these are from people divulging too much information.

-Mike

I don't know. When he was telling me the story last week, I had the impression that they found the information. I didn't specifically ask.

I don't know. When he was telling me the story last week, I had the impression that they found the information. I didn't specifically ask.

I wonder if there are any towns with an illegal LTC application in which they ask for someone's mental health history on the application? That might be part of the problem, too.

-Mike

Medical records are supposedly still protected information, but with how the laws are written in regards to information stored electronically I am skeptical that the government hasn't already been dipping its toe in that water. It may depend on how your physician keeps records and who they keep them with. In theory, though, they have no right to access that information and/or use it against you.

Just what everyone said...answer the questions they ask truthfully and honestly. Do not answer questions your are not asked. The form does not ask for a detailed mental health history, it asks if you were involuntarily committed.

I ask because

Honest in Austin,
Chris

People should be more concerned about those who don't seek mental health counciling when dealing with issues you describe. There's plenty of other reasons to seek help as well. Such as dealing with loss of a loved one, loss of a marriage or other relationship, even a job. People need to be cautious when describing their "feelings." Clinical depression is quite different from other types of depression. Do not ever state that you are "depressed" without qualifying exactly what you mean. The computerization of medical records makes a lot of information available to anyone with access to the system. I too fear the day when the local police official is making his/her own diagnosis on a citizen's medical records.
Best regards.

I fully expect this to be the case and not to far off.

This is Key! If asked invasive questions, do NOT answer and state that medical history/information is confidential and not something you discuss.

-Mike

This, people talk too much.

On the other hand if the PD ever responded with EMS to a call due to an anxiety attack, this info will be in their PD database and used AGAINST the person. In most towns in MA, PD travels with FD to any emergency call for medical problems, no matter how mundane . . . and everything is recorded in their computer system and kept FOREVER!

Think, Obamacare. The .gov getting your personal medical history is just around the corner.

Yes, we can all expect this in the not too distant future.

It's none of their business. It won't account against you if you don't bring it up.

If you DO, then they could deny you based on suitability.

What about HIPPA...is the government going to bypass those rights as well?

Would it surprise you? They will probably say something like "Your records ARE confidential. By applying for a CCP, you forfeit that privacy. We are not releasing your medical records without your signed release and your signed release your CCP application". The gov has done FAR slimier things. This would not surprise me at all.

I have some friends in the field who find the idea of the government gaining access to your medical records for firearm licensing EXTREMELY objectionable...and these are not gun people either.

Nevertheless I have no doubt, as LenS says, that this will be coming soon.

What about HIPPA...is the government going to bypass those rights as well?

Hawaii and new jersey have you sign a hipaa waiver to permit. If you don't sign it you don't get it.

Yup, this is exactly what I expect to happen. All they have to do is change the form to demand you sign a waiver. If you don't, you haven't filed your application properly and are denied based on an incomplete application. If you do sign, your entire life medical history is an open book!

Back
Top Bottom