• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maura spanks another dealer for selling Glocks

I remember years ago when Bass Pro opened and started selling Glocks. A rat who owns a gun shop in Attleboro which is North East from here, reportedly called the AG back then and turned them in.

I will not spend a dime there! I went once before I heard of the Glock thing, I was not impressed at all with him or them in general. So I walked out empty handed. And now at best I'd go in, tire kick and shop elsewhere, but in reality, I do not want to even waste my time.

- - - Updated - - -

AND he was the one that caused all the problems with online ammo sales also...

I remember years ago when Bass Pro opened and started selling Glocks. A rat who owns a gun shop in Attleboro which is North East from here, reportedly called the AG back then and turned them in.

I didn't think it was Glocks they got in trouble for selling. Thought it was Springfield XDs, but could be wrong. Same thing though. He ratted them out as quick as he could.

I won't do business with Bass Pro on principle.

Went in looking for 32sw short, which their website says they stock (and most places don't), which I called about in advance and was assured they had in-stock. They had none on the shelf, and I asked when they were getting more in. I was told it was not something they always include in stock orders, so they didn't know if it would come with their next shipment. I asked if they could add it to the next stock order, and they told me they can't do online sales in MA. OK cool, I don't want to do an online order, but when you make your next stock order, can you include that so I can buy it from your store in person? No! We're not allowed to do online orders in Massachusetts! OK, crazy people - good luck.

Not "reportedly" . . . the RAT admitted what he did at a BOD meeting a day or so later and was very proud of his accomplishment. I was there and witnessed this, have never been in his shop since that day.

I didn't think it was Glocks they got in trouble for selling. Thought it was Springfield XDs, but could be wrong. Same thing though. He ratted them out as quick as he could.

No, it was strictly Glocks that he reported to the AG and the AG demanded that BP recover. I was in the store at the grand opening and went back the following morning when the last Glock sold was returned.

Not "reportedly" . . . the RAT admitted what he did at a BOD meeting a day or so later and was very proud of his accomplishment. I was there and witnessed this, have never been in his shop since that day.

If you don't want to post publicly, can you PM me?

Was out of state for a few years and missed a lot of drama - I prefer not to spend a dime at places that do this crap.

I won't do business with Bass Pro on principle.

Went in looking for 32sw short, which their website says they stock (and most places don't), which I called about in advance and was assured they had in-stock. They had none on the shelf, and I asked when they were getting more in. I was told it was not something they always include in stock orders, so they didn't know if it would come with their next shipment. I asked if they could add it to the next stock order, and they told me they can't do online sales in MA. OK cool, I don't want to do an online order, but when you make your next stock order, can you include that so I can buy it from your store in person? No! We're not allowed to do online orders in Massachusetts! OK, crazy people - good luck.
you must shop at like 2 places globally if that's the principle you follow on where you do business

you must shop at like 2 places globally if that's the principle you follow on where you do business

I have no problem with Cabelas despite their sometimes overly cautious policies, and shop at plenty of my local gun shops here in MA and NH.

I don't give business to stores that say they have plenty of something in stock and will put it aside, then when I drive 3 hours round trip don't actually have it and can't muster an apology. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable principle; act like you want my money and you'll get it. Bad business practices, poor customer service? No thanks.

I think that it is important that we don't just boycott these stores, but we should contact them and tell them. Sure, they may notice a decline in business, but may not realize why. If they get 250 emails it is going to be noticed. Or better yet, a letter with 500 signatures.

It really is a lowly act that speaks to character.

Oh the 3 hour round trip would tick me off as well. F that. Mistakes happen but damn

Yeah I'm a bit north of there, about a mile from Cabelas. Peak traffic frankly it might have been more than that.

The bass-ackwards (pun intended) conversation about online orders was just sort of insult on top of injury. I get that they were erring on the side of caution, but for a store where you could seemingly pocket a few boxes of ammo off a shelf and walk right out without issue, they seem to have their priorities mixed up. I'm a little skeptical of any place who has uninformed folks selling firearms and ammo if it's in MA/NY/CT/CA.

If you don't want to post publicly, can you PM me?

Was out of state for a few years and missed a lot of drama - I prefer not to spend a dime at places that do this crap.

Much of it is still here on NES. I was a Mod here at that time and was furiously deleting posts that members were posting giving evidence of what BP was doing improperly. Too little too late however as the RAT found enough info to contact the AG and bring the house down on BP.

Here's the major thread:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-Bass-Pro-On-the-wrong-side-of-the-AG-already

There were numerous others as well, much stuff was "sanitized" like the current Mods do today when someone posts the name of a company that will deal with M*******s.

I have no problem with Cabelas despite their sometimes overly cautious policies, and shop at plenty of my local gun shops here in MA and NH.

I don't give business to stores that say they have plenty of something in stock and will put it aside, then when I drive 3 hours round trip don't actually have it and can't muster an apology. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable principle; act like you want my money and you'll get it. Bad business practices, poor customer service? No thanks.

I do have a problem with Cabela's! I spent considerable time on the phone, via Emails, sent documentation, etc. before they opened. I was talking/Emailing their corporate counsel and their licensing counsel. All a waste of time as they jumped the shark and started requiring LTCs for empty ammo cans, other stuff not controlled (all details posted here). So I just avoid the place. I was there before their official opening, talked with their marketing manager (a local guy, not an import), etc. Found prices NOT impressive, no used (mil surp) long guns to speak of, etc. I've literally driven by the store twice and didn't give a second's thought to stop there. In contrast, when I'm in Scarborough, I do shop that store.

Thanks - added to my do not spend list.

I do have a problem with Cabela's! I spent considerable time on the phone, via Emails, sent documentation, etc. before they opened. I was talking/Emailing their corporate counsel and their licensing counsel. All a waste of time as they jumped the shark and started requiring LTCs for empty ammo cans, other stuff not controlled (all details posted here). So I just avoid the place. I was there before their official opening, talked with their marketing manager (a local guy, not an import), etc. Found prices NOT impressive, no used (mil surp) long guns to speak of, etc. I've literally driven by the store twice and didn't give a second's thought to stop there. In contrast, when I'm in Scarborough, I do shop that store.

Good to know... ammo cans? Really? I bet they think the stool at your bench is "reloading materials" [rofl]

When I moved back to the area I flirted with the idea of moonlighting as an instructor/trainer there, but the pay is crap and it didn't fit my schedule. I had a long talk with the manager in firearms and he was fairly adamant about what would be sold as far as used long guns goes (not much) and used handguns (nada, they get sent elsewhere even if bought from MA folks) - fear of the almighty Maura. If you've been to the back room in other states you know it tends to be a lot better. I also had "the ammo conversation" with them, and they politely explained that someone else does their ordering for them as store stock goes so they get what they get, and that they were cautious about the AG about that too.

I was in there with a buddy a few months ago and he bought a long gun. They kept putting a ziptie on it, and must have cut it off and replaced it with another 5-10 times over the course of the transaction, which took about an hour from tip to tail without a NICS delay involved. Several employees inspected his hard case and trigger lock (double overkill) and they still wrapped the case in caution tape and a zip tied it before they let him go. Talk about a three-ring circus. When we got out the door he said he was gonna shit a brick if that zip tie was back on the gun...

I'm not in love with the ammo prices but sometimes they have deals, and they're closer than any LGS for me since Undercover blended into Saxonville.

No, it was strictly Glocks that he reported to the AG and the AG demanded that BP recover. I was in the store at the grand opening and went back the following morning when the last Glock sold was returned.

They actually recovered all the Glocks? I swear to god if I had won that Glock lottery the response to the phone call would have been along the lines of, "Eat shit and die!" Did the AG threaten to toss these poor schmucks in jail or something?

Oh you have other dealers fallowing the AG regs and others not. You can't trust other shops and owners they will rat you out hoping to get the shops people buying from them. Its dog eat dog out there.

They actually recovered all the Glocks? I swear to god if I had won that Glock lottery the response to the phone call would have been along the lines of, "Eat shit and die!" Did the AG threaten to toss these poor schmucks in jail or something?

BP prices were no bargain (anyone who bought was overcharged vs. anywhere else), so they only sold 13 (per clerk who told me) that first night. They got back 12, as one was to a LEO, so they didn't contact him and demand it back.

They promised to "take care of you" if you returned it. Pure BS! The last person to return it is someone I know and they jerked him around for 4 hours in the store and only AFTER they got the gun back did they tell him what they would do for him . . . $50 gift card!!

AG threatened BP. They couldn't do anything to the buyers. No idea what BP told the buyers.

Tony is an awesome guy. I bought a couple firearms from him. He didn't have the money like The Gun Parlor had to pay off the tyrant AG. He didn't price gouge like other people who think their G19 is worth $900. And he always had a nice selection of M1 Garands. Nice of Healey to go after small businesses.

I do have a problem with Cabela's! I spent considerable time on the phone, via Emails, sent documentation, etc. before they opened. I was talking/Emailing their corporate counsel and their licensing counsel. All a waste of time as they jumped the shark and started requiring LTCs for empty ammo cans, other stuff not controlled (all details posted here).

Well then. They must not have known just who you were around these here parts . . .

Well then. They must not have known just who you were around these here parts . . .

They didn't have to take my word for it. I provided them a lot of documentation, MGLs, copies of the consent decrees, etc.

Even when I teach, I do not ask people to take my word for it, I have citations for damn near everything I teach and readily provide that when/if asked. I ALWAYS advise people to check the source documents for themselves.

You are correct that they don't know me or if they can take my word for something, so I don't ask them to do that. They should be intelligent enough to read the docs for themselves. As most here on NES have discovered, finding the info is the hardest part as our laws are spread out over >250 pages of "stuff" even without the interpretations (450 pgs with Glidden's interpretations/explanations).

At least I made the effort, which is a lot more than most of you folks are willing or able to do. I spoke directly with both Cabela's corporate counsel and his licensing attorney. You can only lead the horse to water, you can't make him drink. When they jumped the shark and demanded a MA LTC to sell an empty ammo can to a NR and then refused the sale (documented here on NES by person so aggrieved), they lost me as a customer. I've driven by that store a number of times now and don't bother stopping there.

Last edited:
My response would have been "Please explain what law requires me to return the Glock. I understand the state thinks I have been the victim of an unfair and deceptive trade practice, however, I see nothing in the law mandating I return the gun."

This. What idiot would actually return it???

This. What idiot would actually return it???

Read many of the threads here. Most people in MA have no idea what the law really is. The dealer (BP in this case) probably laid it on thick that the AG would send some goons to their homes if they didn't return them and then they would be prosecuted. All BS, but most wouldn't know that and return them out of fear.

The Glock letter to dealers I saw contained a lie .... "must be returned".

Bluff is the name of the game in good police work, why not here too.

As I stated above, almost all the dealers are ignorant of MA laws regarding guns and what they can and can not legally do. The letter scares them too and they over-react accordingly. One difference here is that the AG can indeed sue the dealers and win in state courts, forcing them to pay fines and legal fees. So bending over is financially prudent.

I will not spend a dime there! I went once before I heard of the Glock thing, I was not impressed at all with him or them in general. So I walked out empty handed. And now at best I'd go in, tire kick and shop elsewhere, but in reality, I do not want to even waste my time.

- - - Updated - - -

AND he was the one that caused all the problems with online ammo sales also...

Prior to the ammo problem, I consigned some guns. Took 5 phone calls and 2 visits (AFTER I went down to see if my guns had sold) in order for him to cut me a check. Last time I entered his store. THEN he pulled the ammo thing. Unreal. With friends like that, who needs the enema?

Prior to the ammo problem, I consigned some guns. Took 5 phone calls and 2 visits (AFTER I went down to see if my guns had sold) in order for him to cut me a check. Last time I entered his store. THEN he pulled the ammo thing. Unreal. With friends like that, who needs the enema?
I had the same exact experience with him!

Back
Top Bottom