Maura partners with Mass Medical Society to help Docs teach gun safety

Wife and I were talking about this. Our son has had the "family business" talk and understands to keep things among ourselves generally, but we're wondering how to handle the question if it comes up at the pediatrician's. The easiest answer if probably "no we don't", but then again I have no wish to lie in front of my son as if we're doing something wrong or immoral. That's not the example I want to set.

If you had the proper talk to your son about family business and the liberal agenda he would understand there are times you have to lie because their whole safety scheme is a ****ing lie.

If my doctor starts the "gun talk" with me, I will respond by asking him what he is doing to prevent the abuse of prescription drugs (a major problem in the medical profession) in his practice. Does your doctor know that it is far more likely that he or another medical professional on his staff will become addicted to illegally obtained prescription drugs than harmed by a firearm?

A USA TODAY review shows more than 100,000 doctors, nurses, medical technicians and health care aides are abusing or dependent on prescription drugs in a given year, putting patients at risk.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...addicted-drugs-health-care-diversion/7588401/

Chris

Just tell him NO. And them ask him why your elbow aches when pulling the lever on your reloading press or what he recommends to mitigate recoil on your shoulder.

I used to love the gun question when I took my kids to the doctors ..... I ended up sponsoring the dr at my local range... good guy.

She is not a lady!...

She is not any kind of a lady!
She was spawned in a ditch
By a mother who left her there,
Naked and cold and too hungry to cry;
She never blamed her.
She's sure she left hoping
That She'd have the good sense to die!
Then, of course, there's her father...
She's told that young ladies
Can point to their fathers
With maidenly pride;
Her's was some regiment
Here for an hour,
She can't even tell you which side!
So of course she became,
As befitted her delicate birth,
The most casual bride
Of the murdering scum of the earth!

High though her titles, proud her name,
Boundless her wealth as wish can claim,
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self,
Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
And, doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust from whence she sprung,
Unwept, unhonored, and unsung.

From GOAL's Facebook.

If your doctor asks you about guns in the home, or tries to discuss gun safety with you, ask to see his/her NRA Certified RSO, SO, or Instructor credentials. If they cannot supply them, or have not taken the training, ask why they are making their practice liable for the AG's office.

You are correct, there is absolutely nothing in there about gun safety. Do you think they even considered asking the NRA for input on gun safety? Or for that matter anybody or any group?

I was thinking exactly the same thing, and the fact that it's targeted at lawful gun owners means that it's not going to be very effective in reducing accidental injury or death. In many cases, these healthcare providers are going to be trying to discuss firearms safety with people who have far more experience on the subject than they do. They'd be better served lecturing people who aren't lawful gun owners on the subject...at least they might actually educate someone in that case.

If safety is really the goal, they'd be partnering with GOAL, Comm2A and local gun clubs/instructors to recommend safety courses to patients who request additional information.

Sigh.

Perhaps we could increase the training for physicians in, say, nutrition first?

That would be a conflict of interest financially for them, wouldn't it? Nutrition related conditions, primarily obesity the related issues, makes up nearly 1/4 of all of our healthcare costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Well of course not! It would be racist if the cops arrested them, after all.

Consider that a lot of the "victims" in these crimes are criminals themselves. That might explain the lack of effort in catching the assailants.

My standard answer, "I've always wondered, why don't medical professionals ask about swimming pools or ladders?"

Actually, my pediatrician (when I was younger) did ask about swimming pools, ladders, balconies, bicycles, etc, but I don't ever remember him asking about guns. My current PCP doesn't typically ask about guns either. The only time I've ever been asked about guns is after I had a nasal swab test at an appointment that I went to the range right before. The doc called a few days after the appointment, conversation went like this:

Dr.: "I wanted to discuss the results of your recent lab test. We found trace amounts of lead in your test. It's not enough to pose any concern as long as we can identify the source. Did you go to a shooting range within 72 hours before coming in for your appointment?"
Me: "Yeah, I went that morning"
Dr.: "Ok, that explains it. Other than that, the test was perfectly normal, and like I said, the amount of lead is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Do you have any questions for me?"
Me: "No"
Dr.: "Thank you and have a good day"
Me: "Thanks, you too"

He never asked about guns again, but does still ask about other things like alcohol, tobacco, weed, motorcycles, whether or not I wear my seatbelt, etc.

From GOAL's Facebook.

There was an situation that a fellow firearms instructor ran into years ago.
Lawrence PD sent this kid to him to get his firearms certificate to apply for his ltc.
Took the course, no problem, passed the test , no problem.
Applied and got his ltc.
A couple of weeks later he got in a beef with his BIL.
Shot him in the stomach (He lived.)
Shortly after the kid who did the shooting filed a lawsuit against the instructor the basis of which was that if he had taught him better he wouldn't have shot his BIL.
Needless to say it lasted under ten minutes in court , the judge gave it a wtf and dismissed it.
It did however take about ten grand in legal fees just to get it to court to get it chucked.

Point being if doctors want to play instructor, they better be ready for the liability that comes with it.

The Lowell Sun published a letter to the editor on this topic.

http://www.lowellsun.com/letters/ci_30807572/letters-editor

If I am not mistaken the thoughtful and effective letter was written by a fellow NES member (and one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet).

Excellent and to the point.

[FONT=&quot]There's a basic problem with these much-heralded publications - they omit any mention of the three "Always" rules of gun safety:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The cardinal rule of gun safety - "Treat every firearm with the respect due a loaded gun" - is also missing. You'd also think that since the medical professionals are involved, there'd be a mention of personal protective equipment - i.e., safety glasses and earmuffs/plugs. Nope. Or how about a reminder to wash your hands after shooting, to remove any traces of lead dust before eating? Nope.
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom