• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Self Defense Attorneys??

Yes he is, but they never married . . . she's Whitey's GF and thus gets no protection legally as a legal spouse would (can't be forced to testify against a spouse).

If you are ever in need of someone that good, cost is the last thing you should be thinking of [wink]...

Do you have his info, I'd like to look into him ( in case I ever need him)???

Yes, that is him.

There are two kinds of "afford" - "do I feel like spending the money?" and "If I really had to, could I raise the money?". For lots of people, the answer to the later would be "no" to a $100K retainer. Catch phrases like "cost is the last thing you should be thinking of" are less than relevant when you simply cannot come up with the funds.

If you use a rifle in a home defense situation, you need to be concerned with over penetration. I strongly recommend taking a Personal Protection in the Home class, if you've already taken Basic Pistol and are comfortable hitting a paper plate at 21'. This course will also has a portion taught by an attorney on the laws concerning self defense. LenS teaches this course, as do others here.

If you use a rifle in a home defense situation, you need to be concerned with over penetration. I strongly recommend taking a Personal Protection in the Home class, if you've already taken Basic Pistol and are comfortable hitting a paper plate at 21'. This course will also has a portion taught by an attorney on the laws concerning self defense. LenS teaches this course, as do others here.

True. Just taught NRA Personal Protection in the Home last Sunday. And a student had experienced a home invasion (he lives in a "black" super-safe community) in the recent past! He loved the course and found it extremely worthwhile.

Hi

I understand I really do, three times in my life I have had a gun pointed at me, I just say the knee caps cause for the most part anyone is going down very fast if hit there, that gives time to adjust to the situation, if you have a gun already pointed at you your going to have to bullshit some to change things around, killing someone outright is just a mess, plus most people puss out anyway, if they don't you are down to experienced criminals or some druggie sick "o" and in that case you need experience not just a gun.

I am not some ninja or anything, I just have that calm to look at things and sort shit out, I think anyone that carries needs to be calm and should only pull as a last resort, sorry if I got off track with my post.

Tim

Tim, not trying to call you out here, but you have actually been held at gun point on 3 separate occasions? Where the heck did you live when these events occurred? Surely it wasn't in Plymouth, like your "location" field indicates. Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but it's something like a .0001 chance that anyone gets a gun pulled on them even once in their lifetime unless they are a criminal, gangbanger, etc., let alone 3 times! Care to share some more background on this? Also, I understand "why" you suggest shooting kneecaps since it's a non-lethal alternative, but honestly, under a high stress/adrenaline situation, most average people, or even "highly trained" LEOs are lucky if they can get 1 successful center mass hit out of a full magazine, so I would say you'd have to be one heck of an Annie Oakley to be able to hit a kneecap with such a small surface area under those conditions. Then of course, you will have the law suits to deal with from your attacker for permanently disabling him just as he was about to turn his life around and get legitimate employment.[laugh]

Seems like there is a ton of data out there showing that 5.56 is less likely to over penetrate than 9mm fmj.

Tell the interviewing officer you "shot to wound" and you have just made an admission that you determined that the situation did not warrant deadly force but still chose to use lethal force.

This is HUGE...... I have talked to a few LEO's and each one said a gun is lethal force and if you shoot their knee caps or hips to disable the attacker you may be setting yourself up for legal issues with the DA and certainly civil issues with the attacker you crippled.

I used to have Jessie Cohen's card in my wallet but I flushed it down the toilet, where shit belongs

Can someone please PM me if you don't want to type publicly about this Cohen lawyer? I'm really interested in knowing why people dislike him because I was SO CLOSE to hiring him one time.

Tell the interviewing officer you "shot to wound" and you have just made an admission that you determined that the situation did not warrant deadly force but still chose to use lethal force.
this. please evry new guy please learn this "I was shooting to stop the threat". there is no shoot to kill law or shoot to wound law.

this. please evry new guy please learn this "I was shooting to stop the threat". there is no shoot to kill law or shoot to wound law.

When speaking to an officer, I would put it slightly differently: "He was going to kill me (or us). I had to stop him." Saying "I was shooting to stop the threat" sounds rehearsed -- people don't talk that way.

As Rob pointed out, deliberately shooting to wound may get you into a world of legal hurt. If you were in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury, why did you shoot him in the leg instead of the center of the chest? And if you weren't in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury, then why did you use lethal force by shooting him? You've put yourself into a legal no-win situation. If you weren't in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury (which is implied by the fact that you shot to wound), then you have used deadly force when you weren't justified to do so -- congrats, you just admitted to some form of attempted murder.

Also, in terms of practicality, suggesting that you shoot someone in the knee seems to imply that you've taken Hollywood gun handling to heart, rather than the reality of the situation. Chances are that an armed confrontation will be in low-light. You'll be moving and he'll be moving. The knee is a small target to begin with and legs move around quite a bit, making it a very difficult target to hit. In contrast, the center of the chest is much larger and doesn't move as quickly. And if you actually do hit him in the knee, he scan still use a gun if he has one.

Then there is the question: was shooting him in the knee in accordance with your training?

I can honestly testify that my training was to shoot at the center of the chest, and if that doesn't work, to consider shifting aim to the head or pelvis. And I have documentation that I received and understood that advice in my training -- I mailed my training course notes to me and they are still in the sealed envelope.

Tim, not trying to call you out here, but you have actually been held at gun point on 3 separate occasions? Where the heck did you live when these events occurred? Surely it wasn't in Plymouth, like your "location" field indicates. Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but it's something like a .0001 chance that anyone gets a gun pulled on them even once in their lifetime unless they are a criminal, gangbanger, etc., let alone 3 times! Care to share some more background on this? Also, I understand "why" you suggest shooting kneecaps since it's a non-lethal alternative, but honestly, under a high stress/adrenaline situation, most average people, or even "highly trained" LEOs are lucky if they can get 1 successful center mass hit out of a full magazine, so I would say you'd have to be one heck of an Annie Oakley to be able to hit a kneecap with such a small surface area under those conditions. Then of course, you will have the law suits to deal with from your attacker for permanently disabling him just as he was about to turn his life around and get legitimate employment.[laugh]

No problem I understood when I posted that some might ask, I was not a gang banger or thug, I didn't rob little old ladies or break into houses, I was just a wize ass young kid that grew up in a bad family situation and pretty much lived on the streets of South Boston during the height of the busing years, it was just crazy chaotic and out of control.

I was shot at by a security guard while me and a few friends were borrowing some gas late one night down on 1st street in Southie at the truck terminal, he surprised us and we all run in different directions, I jumped in the car we had and he put a bullet into the trunk.

The cop incident was cause I was drinking and the cops were giving us a hard time one night, they were driving down the street and I chucked a huge rock at the car, it hit the hood and bounced off the windshield, they floored it and chased me onto Broadway and into some yards, in about 2 minutes the block was surrounded and I got caught by a cop while sneaking out a driveway, he had me at gun point, took a bit of a beating for that one, funny thing is that same cop was at my wedding several years latter, he was friends with my wife's parents, she was my girlfriend at the time. lol

The BB gun thing happened while I was walking down 8th st one night, I pulled a trim ring off a car rim and was throwing it into the air, the owner came out and was running over to me, he was a big guy all yelling and had what I thought was a real gun, I threw the ring at him and he fired a BB through my lip, it scared the shit out of both of us, I ran to a friends house cause I didn't know what to do, my friend gave my some Listerine to gargle it stung like hell and squirted out the little hole in my mouth.

Tons more stuff happened to me during those years, I once was involved in a riot at Southie high, the cops were coming down the street on horseback and in riot gear towards us, they threw some tear gas and I pick the can up and threw it back, do you know how hot that can gets when it goes off, I found out real quick, my hand was burned real bad for a while, I don't remember learning any lesson on that one, well maybe bring some gloves to the next riot. hahahaha

I am glad you understand what I mean by shooting in the kneecaps instead of just killing the person, ya I know sometimes you might have less than a second or kneecaps are hard to hit, it is just a term I used to explain that deadly force might not have to be used all the time, but I don't condone it at all, some people like to carry 45's and some 22's what ever size hole you want is fine with me, just make sure you need to do it that's all, we all know how this state works.

Keep in mind I have been told that I have a colorful way of looking and explaining things a few times in my life, I think on a forum that way of talking makes it hard for others to understand where I am coming from.

For several reasons I joined the Army at 18 yrs old, it straightened me out and I have been a good ole boy ever since, IMHO of course.

Tim [smile]

I am glad you understand what I mean by shooting in the kneecaps instead of just killing the person, ya I know sometimes you might have less than a second or kneecaps are hard to hit, it is just a term I used to explain that deadly force might not have to be used all the time, but I don't condone it at all, some people like to carry 45's and some 22's what ever size hole you want is fine with me, just make sure you need to do it that's all, we all know how this state works.

Once again, with feeling, shooting at someone is using deadly force. If you, or someone else, is not about to die, then you are not justified at shooting at them at all, no matter where you are aiming.

Shut up...lawyer up! This is what I have taken from NES.

That is not how I was trained. My training was to say something like: "He was going to kill me (or us). I had to stop him."

This indicates at the very beginning that you in fear for your life and that your intent was to stop him. If there were people nearby that might have seen what happens, I might point them out to the officer. Then at that point I would STFU.

That is not how I was trained. My training was to say something like: "He was going to kill me (or us). I had to stop him."

This indicates at the very beginning that you in fear for your life and that your intent was to stop him. If there were people nearby that might have seen what happens, I might point them out to the officer. Then at that point I would STFU.

Not disagreeing with you, just that in my years of trolling around here "don't talk to the police" seems to get discussed a lot.

Yes, that is him.

There are two kinds of "afford" - "do I feel like spending the money?" and "If I really had to, could I raise the money?". For lots of people, the answer to the later would be "no" to a $100K retainer. Catch phrases like "cost is the last thing you should be thinking of" are less than relevant when you simply cannot come up with the funds.

I kind of agree...

I myself would not want a public defender as a lawyer...

I also wouldn't want to be locked up forever because I wanted to get a cheaper lawyer to save myself money...

Lets face it, the way the court systems are now a days it's the person with the biggest lawyer that is going to win...

Do you think Zimmerman would be out of jail right now if he went with a low cost lawyer...

If you are going to carry a gun on you, you can't be looking for a low dollar lawyer...

If you want a low dollar lawyer you might as well leave your gun at home...

It will be better for you that way, think of the weight saving, not having to carry that gun around...

( This answer was not a slam to you, it is my general way of thinking, nothing is meant in a bad way to you... )

Shut up and lawyer up. Who in their right mind would ever say to the attending LEO that "I was just aiming at the knees."

Not disagreeing with you, just that in my years of trolling around here "don't talk to the police" seems to get discussed a lot.

Yes, it does. And you absolutely don't want to be speaking at any length with police. But the statement above "He was going kill me; I had to stop him" tells the officer that you were the victim, you believed your life was in danger, and that your intent was to simply stop the attack. Quite often police will develop a theory about the event early on and they then find it difficult to move away from that theory . this statement plants in their mind the possibility that it was self defense from the very start, and doesn't incriminate you any more than would already be clear by the evidence.

This is HUGE...... I have talked to a few LEO's and each one said a gun is lethal force and if you shoot their knee caps or hips to disable the attacker you may be setting yourself up for legal issues with the DA and certainly civil issues with the attacker you crippled.
ayoob teaches or at least taught 20 years ago in LFI1 that a pelvis shot in a close quarters knife attacker charging would probably be better than a torso hit, because it would likely drop them before they get to you. any thoughts out there?

That is not how I was trained. My training was to say something like: "He was going to kill me (or us). [STRIKE]I had to stop him.[/STRIKE]"

...and began to retreat. would be a better choice of words.
IMO claim chest pain and take the ambulance ride to the hospital.

...and began to retreat. would be a better choice of words.
IMO claim chest pain and take the ambulance ride to the hospital.

The choice of words that I posted came from Ayoob in LFI-1. As he's seen many self defense cases inside a courtroom, I'll follow his advice. Note that you only have to retreat if it is safe to do so. If the other guy has a gun or has a knife but is close, then you may not have retreated because it wasn't safe to do so. You absolutely do not want to say that you retreated if you didn't retreat. And at this point, I don't think that detail is necessarily needed.

I was trained to ALWAYS yell out a command to the person trying to cause serious bodily harm or injury to me. 1) To give him a chance to to give me a chance to not shoot him. 2) If there are people around, they will tell the police they heard me yell out to "STOP or DROP THE WEAPON, or whatever the command is, before they heard a shot". After, call 911, describe the situation but not 100% just tell them he\she gave you no choice, you have a license to carry, describe what you're wearing, and stay on the line the entire time. (HOLSTER YOUR FIREARM BEFORE THE POLICE ARRIVE). When the police arrive, you tell them a little bit of information that they can work with..... tell them you need to go to the hospital, and you need to contact your lawyer. You don't want to tell them too much because we act stupid when we are under pressure, nervous and under high stress. BUT, you want to make sure they know you have an LTC, you were afraid of serious bodily harm being done to you, or death. They need to know YOU HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. But, I guess no matter how many times you rehearse this, it will never be the same in an actual situation. This is coming from a police officer who is also a veteran (Marines).

You will most likely have to go to the hospital anyway... for tetanus maybe?

Back
Top Bottom