Massachusetts Self Defense Attorneys??

I am new here and I apologize if you already have a section for this but... I was just wondering.....
So, we all carry.......and we all (mostly all) will dread the day we have to use our firearm to stop a threat trying to cause serious bodily harm or death...but how many of us have a great lawyer's business card in our wallet ?? What I am asking is, who are some good lawyers that can defend you whether it's a criminal or civil case, if you ever do end up killing someone to defend your life or someone else's life??

Thanks!!

Go to the range and practice ~ practice ~ practice, shoot the sucker in the knee caps, don't kill the bastard unless you are absolutely sure your life is going to be taken, you have milliseconds to choose your actions, good luck.

Seriously, I will still go toe to toe before pulling a gun, it's a life changing thing is you fire at someone, I just recently applied for my permit, as I get older I am slowing down and with the way shit is these days I don't want to get caught unprepared, in my younger days I didn't care, but what can ya do we all get older and need that extra edge.

The lawyer you will need will cost so much to keep you out of jail it almost makes it not worth having a gun, this state sucks unless your a criminal or in the EBT system.

Tim

Shooting someone in the knee caps is not going to stop him from shooting me. The day I draw my firearm, I will give a command while I'm doing it. If the threat doesn't comply, I will have no choice but to lower his blood pressure by shooting him (or her?) in the upper chest area or anywhere that I can destroy the central nervous system. If you carry a firearm to shoot someone in the knee caps if they are trying to cause serious bodily harm or death to you, carry a knife. I don't care how much a lawyer will cost, it will definitely not cost more than my life. I can't fist fight a man with a gun pointed at me! I understand using a firearm is absolutely LAST RESULT after everything you have tried does not work but then, there's no saying when to shoot or not.. it's your judgement, when YOU FEEL like you have to shoot to protect YOUR LIFE. I am not looking for a lawyer that can help me get a restriction lifted, I am looking for a lawyer that if something like this was to happen, I can call right away. Better to be prepared than not at all.

I know MA is a P.O.S state, but I have actually met a person that had to use lethal force to protect his life....here in Massachusetts and he was able to go home.. ALIVE.

Thanks for posting, Tim, Bill, and everyone else that will post.

Last edited:
TTBOMK, none of these lawyers are criminal defense attorneys. One needs a criminal defense attorney who is knowledgeable of MA gun law. That's a tall order when we probably don't have more than 1/2 dozen attorneys who understand MA gun law!!

Ya, I was kind of thinking that myself. Figured that was the best place to start though.

Shooting someone in the knee caps is not going to stop him from shooting me. The day I draw my firearm, I will give a command while I'm doing it. If the threat doesn't comply, I will have no choice but to lower his blood pressure by shooting him (or her?) in the upper chest area or anywhere that I can destroy the central nervous system.

Hi

I understand I really do, three times in my life I have had a gun pointed at me, I just say the knee caps cause for the most part anyone is going down very fast if hit there, that gives time to adjust to the situation, if you have a gun already pointed at you your going to have to bullshit some to change things around, killing someone outright is just a mess, plus most people puss out anyway, if they don't you are down to experienced criminals or some druggie sick "o" and in that case you need experience not just a gun.

I am not some ninja or anything, I just have that calm to look at things and sort shit out, I think anyone that carries needs to be calm and should only pull as a last resort, sorry if I got off track with my post.

Tim

Hi

I understand I really do, three times in my life I have had a gun pointed at me, I just say the knee caps cause for the most part anyone is going down very fast if hit there, that gives time to adjust to the situation, if you have a gun already pointed at you your going to have to bullshit some to change things around, killing someone outright is just a mess, plus most people puss out anyway, if they don't you are down to experienced criminals or some druggie sick "o" and in that case you need experience not just a gun.

I am not some ninja or anything, I just have that calm to look at things and sort shit out, I think anyone that carries needs to be calm and should only pull as a last resort, sorry if I got off track with my post.

Tim

Not just outside but MANY home invasions take place in my city. Armed home invasions.... Everyone has their own view but I was trained to shoot and kill, the day I ever have to draw my firearm to protect my own life. I don't know you personally but sitting down on a chair and typing on a forum about how you will react to a situation is completely different when you are in a high stress situation!

Not just outside but MANY home invasions take place in my city. Armed home invasions.... Everyone has their own view but I was trained to shoot and kill, the day I ever have to draw my firearm to protect my own life. I don't know you personally but sitting down on a chair and typing on a forum about how you will react to a situation is completely different when you are in a high stress situation!

I agree cause every situation is different, guess in a nut shell I am just saying you need to take that precious time what ever it is and think, I have messed up a few times and used anger or brute force and it didn't go well, lesson learned for me I guess, I would hate to see another Zimmerman case if it could have been avoided.

My heart is in the right place maybe I am just not getting my thoughts out the right way.

Tim

Last edited:
Jesse had a "payment plan" before were he would be your "on retainer lawyer", I guess he's banned from the site again though and I'm not sure if he does it anylonger...

I'm thinking about getting this plan from the NRA...

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program for NRA Members, Clubs & Business Affiliates

And I am also thinking about doing the insurance...

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program for NRA Members, Clubs & Business Affiliates

Your "Home Owners Insurance" will not cover your guns unless you have taken out a "binder" on them from them at an extra cost...

I don't think I want my insurance company knowing what I have for guns, I think a "gun insurance company" would be better...

Hi

Tim

In this state you would be sued by the bad guy and lose everything, because obviously you set out that day to cause extreme pain and suffering. Or you're racist.
Dead men don't sue. Their family might, but you have a better chance of beating that than you do beating a case against the "victim" (trust me, the guy you shot in the knees for trying to beat/rob/kill you will be the "victim" in this state).

OK, So what happened those times???
Once by a security guard, he fired and hit the trunk of a car, I ran like hell.

A cop that was chasing me, he put the gun to my head.

A guy that pulled a gun and fired, it ended up being a BB gun, good for me cause it went through my lip and cracked my tooth, I spit the BB out.

this was back in the early 70,s as a juvie

Tim

Jesse Cohen may be a good firearms attorney. He may have also done some criminal defense work. But has he ever done a murder case, particularly one arguing self defense?

If I am ever in that situation, I'll be calling Kevin Reddington. He has defended murder cases, including self defense cases and he has won more than his fair share.

Go to the range and practice ~ practice ~ practice, shoot the sucker in the knee caps, don't kill the bastard unless you are absolutely sure your life is going to be taken, you have milliseconds to choose your actions, good luck.
Tell the interviewing officer you "shot to wound" and you have just made an admission that you determined that the situation did not warrant deadly force but still chose to use lethal force.

Jesse Cohen may be a good firearms attorney. He may have also done some criminal defense work. But has he ever done a murder case, particularly one arguing self defense?

If I am ever in that situation, I'll be calling Kevin Reddington. He has defended murder cases, including self defense cases and he has won more than his fair share.

+1 There is worlds of difference between a lawyer competent in a murder/self-defense case and one helping you get a LTC, writing a will, closing a real estate transaction, writing a trust. As far as the Bar is concerned, all lawyers are equal (except Patent Attys and Maritime Law) but in the real world nothing could be further from the truth.

-----------

Also if you think shooting someone in the knee-cap will avoid a criminal charge in MA, I have a very nice bridge for sale! You will face A&B with a deadly weapon and/or attempted murder charges and those aren't a walk in the park to deal with either, especially when the perp (who is now the "victim") can testify that it was all a huge misunderstanding and you over-reacted to his mere request for a dollar or two.

Sorry there is no free lunch! Without an excellent attorney on your side competent in the matter at hand, you stand a very good chance of losing your freedom and all your money in court.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell the interviewing officer you "shot to wound" and you have just made an admission that you determined that the situation did not warrant deadly force but still chose to use lethal force.

^^^^ This! See you in 20!

Seriously, I will still go toe to toe before pulling a gun, it's a life changing thing is you fire at someone, I just recently applied for my permit, as I get older I am slowing down and with the way shit is these days I don't want to get caught unprepared, in my younger days I didn't care, but what can ya do we all get older and need that extra edge.

The lawyer you will need will cost so much to keep you out of jail it almost makes it not worth having a gun, this state sucks unless your a criminal or in the EBT system.

Tim
As an FID holder, I always keep two loaded firearms (Mini 14 and Remington 870) ready for home defense. I too dread the day that I (or my girlfriend) may have to fire upon an attacker and most likely kill that person. But self-defense goes far beyond the actual use of deadly force. You have to think financial self-defense as well. For a $35 filing fee at any Massachusetts county Registry of Deeds, you can protect up to $500,000 worth of equity in your home. If you own an expensive vehicle(s) or boat(s), you may consider putting them into a trust. Keep only enough money in your checking account to cover a few months' expenses. The rest should be in an out-of-state safe deposit box. Valuable jewelry should be kept in the box as well. If you are sued, do not wear valuable jewelry to court. Some judges will seize it to apply to the judgment against you, if the perp that you shot (or the dead perp's family) sues you successfully. You have to survive both criminal court and civil court if you are involved in a shooting that causes injury or death to your assailant. Unfortunate, but that is the way of life in this liberal utopia called Massachusetts.

As an FID holder, I always keep two loaded firearms (Mini 14 and Remington 870) ready for home defense. I too dread the day that I (or my girlfriend) may have to fire upon an attacker and most likely kill that person. But self-defense goes far beyond the actual use of deadly force. You have to think financial self-defense as well. For a $35 filing fee at any Massachusetts county Registry of Deeds, you can protect up to $500,000 worth of equity in your home. If you own an expensive vehicle(s) or boat(s), you may consider putting them into a trust. Keep only enough money in your checking account to cover a few months' expenses. The rest should be in an out-of-state safe deposit box. Valuable jewelry should be kept in the box as well. If you are sued, do not wear valuable jewelry to court. Some judges will seize it to apply to the judgment against you, if the perp that you shot (or the dead perp's family) sues you successfully. You have to survive both criminal court and civil court if you are involved in a shooting that causes injury or death to your assailant. Unfortunate, but that is the way of life in this liberal utopia called Massachusetts.

Stopped reading at "FID holder."

Stopped reading at "FID holder."
Carrying in public never interested me in the least. That opens up a whole new can of worms. Zimmerman lives in a "stand your ground" state (Florida) and looked what happened to him. Can you imagine what would have happened to him if he lived here in MA? Besides being bankrupt, he would be sitting in state prison, because he almost certainly would have been convicted of the murder charge. I know two Lawrence businessmen who lost everything because they shot armed attackers who assaulted them INSIDE of their business premises! Another guy in Lowell became a convicted felon (manslaughter) for defending himself and his wife from a knife-wielding heroin addict who broke into his home in the middle of the night. A single shotgun blast killed the druggie, but the guy is now a felon. I saw him afterwards, putting his valuable gun collection on consignment at a Lowell gun shop. No thanks, I will keep the FID. Defending one's home with deadly force is dicey enough. Doing the same thing in a public place allows the prosecutor or civil suit attorney to ask why you did not just back off and leave it to the police.

Carrying in public never interested me in the least. That opens up a whole new can of worms. Zimmerman lives in a "stand your ground" state (Florida) and looked what happened to him. Can you imagine what would have happened to him if he lived here in MA? Besides being bankrupt, he would be sitting in state prison, because he almost certainly would have been convicted of the murder charge. I know two Lawrence businessmen who lost everything because they shot armed attackers who assaulted them INSIDE of their business premises! Another guy in Lowell became a convicted felon (manslaughter) for defending himself and his wife from a knife-wielding heroin addict who broke into his home in the middle of the night. A single shotgun blast killed the druggie, but the guy is now a felon. I saw him afterwards, putting his valuable gun collection on consignment at a Lowell gun shop. No thanks, I will keep the FID. Defending one's home with deadly force is dicey enough. Doing the same thing in a public place allows the prosecutor or civil suit attorney to ask why you did not just back off and leave it to the police.

Any links to any of these three stories? I'm especially interested in the one where a guy shot an armed home invader and was convicted of manslaughter

I might know of those two business owners but they shot the assailants in the BACK. You're not in fear of serious bodily harm or death if the "threat" is not facing you.. unless you're in a fire fight and he's running for cover, or already has killed someone.. Just my thought? Honestly, I carry. REGARDLESS how messed up this state is, I would rather rot in jail for protecting MY LIFE than in a grave because of some *******.

Example: Lawrence cab driver is mugged. The man gets out of the car and starts running... the cab driver grabs his gun and shoots him as he's running away.

Example 2: A few years ago, a marine veteran (the one that lived on top of the funeral home) grabbed his shotgun and shot at a crowd outside of a club because someone threw a bottle at his window. He hit a girl in the leg (shrapnel, I believe) I Believe he was forgiven and he also ran for mayor afterwards!

Boston Globe June 30 said:
Jury Acquits Marine In Crowd Shooting

Finds he acted in self-defense

By Associated Press

SALEM -- A jury deliberated just two hours yesterday before finding an Iraq war veteran acted in self-defense when he fired a shotgun into a raucous crowd of clubgoers outside his Lawrence home, injuring two people.

The Salem Superior Court jury acquitted Marine Sergeant Daniel Cotnoir, a 34-year-old reservist who was named 2005's ``Marine of the Year," of two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in the August shooting . After the verdict, two jurors hugged him outside the courthouse.

``Everybody likes to think their home is safe," Cotnoir, a reservist, said after the verdict. ``You don't have to have been a war veteran or see anything gruesome to be scared when things go flying through your bedroom window."

Cotnoir, who served eight months in Iraq in 2004, helped create a mortician's unit for the Marine Corps, for which he was credited when he won the ``Marine of the Year." award. He and his wife accepted the award one month before the shooting.

Cotnoir's house overlooks a parking lot across from two nightclubs. After the clubs let out at 2 a.m. Aug. 13 , revelers played music and were singing and dancing.

He testified that he felt ``under attack" after a bottle was thrown through his window minutes after he called police about the noise. He fired a rifle shot into what he said was a clear area, but the shell struck a curb and shattered into fragments, striking Kelvin Castillo, 21, and Lissette Cumba, 16, both of Lowell.

Cotnoir said prosecutors had offered a deal of 12 years of probation if he agreed to plead guilty to three felony charges. But he said he never considered accepting the offer.

``Somebody else is going to be honored with [the Marine of the Year award] next month, and I wouldn't want him to get something that I've tarnished, and by that same token, my family's good name," Cotnoir said.

If convicted, he could have faced up to 20 years in prison .

Cotnoir's wife, Mary Kate, said the family plans to move out of Lawrence.

Prosecutor John Dawley had urged jurors not to ``give him extra points because he was in Iraq."

``He is basically a good guy," Dawley said, ``but this is not a case about making someone a bad guy. . . . Good people occasionally have monumental lapses of judgment."

Dawley, Castillo, and Cumba were not immediately available for comment after the verdict. On Wednesday, Castillo said he'd already forgiven Cotnoir, but wanted a conviction.

``I respect him for everything he's done for the country," Castillo said. ``I just don't respect what he did" on Aug. 13.

Juror Becky Flessas, who embraced Cotnoir outside the courthouse, said his service in Iraq was not a factor during deliberations.

``We were going by the facts that we had," she said.

Last edited:
Any links to any of these three stories? I'm especially interested in the one where a guy shot an armed home invader and was convicted of manslaughter
The first case involved Alexander Bosse, Sr. He was the proprietor of Bosse's Rapid Radiator Repair, a now-long-defunct Lawrence business. The second case involved Benjamin "Benny" Ruggerio, who owned the South Union Street Newsstand & Variety. The third case involved Roger Tremblay, the Lowell resident who shot and killed the druggie who broke into his home and tried to stab him. I went to school with Mr. Bosse's son, Alex Jr. Benny and I go way back. Only met Roger Tremblay once, at AG Guns in Lowell, where he was putting his valuable collection on consignment after his conviction. Benny and Mr. Bosse both lost their businesses and homes to huge lawsuits. Also, their wives left them and filed for divorce. All really sad situations. The Bosse and Ruggerio cases date back to the 1980s, so I am not sure if they are on the Internet. The Tremblay case dates back to 1990 or so. It may be there, but you will have to do some research.

^ this. in mass if you wound the guy he can take you to civil court and sue because you disabled him.

I might know of those two business owners but they shot the assailants in the BACK. You're not in fear of serious bodily harm or death if the "threat" is not facing you.. unless you're in a fire fight and he's running for cover, or already has killed someone.. Just my thought? Honestly, I carry. REGARDLESS how messed up this state is, I would rather rot in jail for protecting MY LIFE than in a grave because of some *******.

Example: Lawrence cab driver is mugged. The man gets out of the car and starts running... the cab driver grabs his gun and shoots him as he's running away.

Example 2: A few years ago, a marine veteran (the one that lived on top of the funeral home) grabbed his shotgun and shot at a crowd outside of a club because someone threw a bottle at his window. He hit a girl in the leg (shrapnel, I believe) I Believe he was forgiven and he also ran for mayor afterwards!
Alex Bosse Sr. shot his assailant in the side. Benny Ruggerio shot his assailant in the forehead while the guy was trying to pin Benny to the wall with a 12" chef's knife. Roger Tremblay fired a fatal shotgun blast into his attacker's chest while the guy was advancing down the hallway towards him with a hunting knife. No back-shooters in these three situations. All three men were facing their assailants when they fired in self-defense.

Was it disputed whether Tremblay's attacker was armed? The only thing I can find on it was that he(tremblay) was apparently dressed in full fatigues when the police arrived?

Never knew that, I thought Jesse was good at the big stuff also, learn something new every day...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom