• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass specialty license plates

Hello all,

I saw a license plate the other day that had a "PM" where you might see "RS" for red sox, etc.
It also had a small circle type of emblem, similar to a veteran tag, that identifies the branch of service.

I've come up blank looking for the meaning online.

Does anyone know what that "PM" stands for?

I've looked thru the registry's specialty plate guide, but did not see it listed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do they still make one for the Mass Wildlife?

In Tennessee they have Sportsman vanity plates.

Is this it?

PMC-License-Plate.jpg

I have the US plate:

United_We_Stand_MA_License_Plate.jpg

Wish I could get this VA one:

Virginia_Dont_Tread_On_Me_License_Plate.jpg

I don't get all those crazy vanity plates. Why pay more for a vehicle registration than you already have to?? My brother lives in MA and is a veteran, I asked him why he doesn't have a veteran plate. He said 'why would I want to pay more for my registration just to have an emblem on my plate?' I thought at least the veterans ones they would give you a little break on the price, but I guess I thought wrong.

Be careful with a gun vanity plate if you ever have to do something dangerous like drive through NJ. Do you really want to drive through the speedtraps with a plate that says "gun owner"?

Be careful with a gun vanity plate if you ever have to do something dangerous like drive through NJ. Do you really want to drive through the speedtraps with a plate that says "gun owner"?

sure, why not? NJ has had its share of problems with violating FOPA, but its not quite the Nazi Germany you suggest it to be.

I don't get all those crazy vanity plates. Why pay more for a vehicle registration than you already have to?? My brother lives in MA and is a veteran, I asked him why he doesn't have a veteran plate. He said 'why would I want to pay more for my registration just to have an emblem on my plate?' I thought at least the veterans ones they would give you a little break on the price, but I guess I thought wrong.

Vets have discounted registration rates ...do they not.
Looks like the straight up VET plate you have to pay. Fees appear to be waived for medal recipients.

God bless

Last edited:

Not according to my brother....maybe there is a way and he doesn't know about it? He still has a valid military ID and uses it (ie. you were going a little fast there, license and registration - ohh, slow it down and have a nice day). He does get a discounted rate on his real estate taxes though.

Looks like the straight up VET plate you have to pay. Fees appear to be waived for medal recipients.

God bless

It probably keeps you from getting pulled over quite so much, though. You do pay more for the vet plate, but the extra $20 goes to veteran charities.

Sure, all GOAL would have to do is post a $100,000 bond that is refunded only when 3000 plates are sold, or arrange for 3000 prepaid applications:

www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/manuals/Special_Plates_Brochure.pdf

Interesting concept though...in the first year, the sponsoring group keeps $28 of the $40 special plate fee and in subsequent years keeps all $40 of the special plate fee after the 2-year renewal, which is $84,000, and for renewals $120,000, respectively, based on 3,000 plates. The more plates sold, the more money the sponsoring group keeps, so for 6,000 plates, the numbers are $168,000 and $240,000.

One response by doubters will be, just donate the money in the first place. However, the "advertising" with the use of a special plate is priceless.

Last edited:
Just seen that .....looks like medal recipients get discounts.
https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cisvet/vetmotor.htm

At least the fees for vet plates are supposed to go to veterans house of Chelsea?

Yea, I never knew the money actually went to a charity that benefits disabled veterans.. I always thought it was just Massachusetts trying to make an extra buck off the people (like they usually do).. totally okay with paying the extra money now that I know

From the RMV fees page:

Disabled Veteran ..............................................
......................... No Fee .
Bronze Star ...................................................... ......................... No Fee
ExPOW ............................................................ ......................... No Fee .
Distinguished Flying Cross.....................................................No Fee...
Gold Star Family ....................................................................No Fee.
Legion of Valor ................................................. ......................... No Fee ...
Medal of Honor ................................................. ......................... No Fee
Pearl Harbor Survivor.............................................................No Fee..
Purple Heart ..................................................... ......................... No Fee ..
Silver Star ......................................................... ......................... No Fee .

Last edited:
From the RMV fees page:

Disabled Veteran ..............................................
......................... No Fee .
Bronze Star ...................................................... ......................... No Fee
ExPOW ............................................................ ......................... No Fee .
Distinguished Flying Cross.....................................................No Fee...
Gold Star Family ....................................................................No Fee.
Legion of Valor ................................................. ......................... No Fee ...
Medal of Honor ................................................. ......................... No Fee
Pearl Harbor Survivor.............................................................No Fee..
Purple Heart ..................................................... ......................... No Fee ..
Silver Star ......................................................... ......................... No Fee .

Call me a nitpicker, but the BSM always seemed out of place on that list.

For those who don't know, the Bronze Star has two versions: a combat valor version and the MUCH more common "service" version, generally given to majors and above (captains too, I know) who simply did their jobs in-theatre with no particular bravery.

No problem here with fees being waived for a BSM with combat V, but for a BSM service award? Might as well give waivers out for ARCOMs earned in a combat zone.

And while I'm at it, where's the DSC on that list? I know the "legion of valor" thing covers it, but still...

Yea, I never knew the money actually went to a charity that benefits disabled veterans.. I always thought it was just Massachusetts trying to make an extra buck off the people (like they usually do).. totally okay with paying the extra money now that I know
I was a bit shocked by that myself but I think the state got caught pulling some crap a while back when the environmental plates came out and the money was not put into the "fund" preserve the trust plates or something like that.

The law changed recently. I think the required pre-purchase is down to like 1200 or so. This is why the PMC did the custom plate. The bond was out of the question, and when the ride tried to get the 3000 pre-paid a few years ago, they fell several hundred short. I don't think the PMC was the reason the law was changed, but when it did, they tried again and easily met the minimum.

Cost of registration does not really change. State gets the standard plate fee, the PMC gets the rest. The special plate has to be a charity. The Red Sox, Bruins, etc. all set up charitable organizations for their plates. Plate owner gets a special way to show their affiliation and in some cases get a special number.

The PMC plates have only just been starting to be released. You must have seen one of the first ones. Those of us with numbers under 100 have to wait until 1000 of the higher numbers are picked up before we can get ours. That was another change in the law to prevent "low number pirates" to try to create new plates with no real charity behind it just to get a low number.

I have a current 'reserved' low number plate and I can't tell you how much of a hassle it is at times. Several times I've not been able to renew registration on line due to the state unable to prevent fraud. I'm hoping the low number charity plates are different. We'll see.

On an interesting note, these special charity plates are the only way in MA to get the same number on your car/truck and motorcycle that I know of. I'll have the PMC plate on my car and my bike has a motorcycle vanity of the same.

Back
Top Bottom