• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass compliant single stack 9mm for a co-worker

I'm not pervy to all the limitations in Mass, but a coworker has asked for advice on a a single stack 9mm for not more than $400...

Shield?

I expect a G43 in 9mm would be out of that price range / hard to get? Same for Vp9SK I imagine...

thoughts from Mass folk?

In that price range, yeah, Shield is an option. Ruger LC9s is also a single stack that fits the price requirement.

You're spot on with the Glock/HK pricing as well. If you push it a little you might be able to find a Springfield XD-S for a decent price.

Last edited:
shield 9
kahr CW9
springfield XDS 9
ruger LC9s (i'm luke warm on that pistol)

Vp9sk is a double stack.

Shield, Ruger LC9, Springfield XD-S (just became MA compliant), pick your favorite.

I would go with an XDS 9. IMO it's the best one in terms of quality and value. And its GTG right out of the box. The shield is a decent, reliable little gun but the stock trigger is awful. The other options are just kinda meh, unless she can find a G43 for a non-full-retard price.

Throw in another $50, get a G43 and be happy you did. I had the Kahr PM9 and liked it a lot but it has quirks (releasing slide) and if you carry extra mags, the first round likes to work it’s way out

Throw in another $50, get a G43 and be happy you did. I had the Kahr PM9 and liked it a lot but it has quirks (releasing slide) and if you carry extra mags, the first round likes to work it’s way out

The issue with the Kahr mags is easy to fix. Replace the followers with Lakeline followers and you stop losing rounds off the top. I was having an issue with my 7 round mag feeding the first round off the top as well, and swapping out the follower fixed that, too.

It's an expensive fix, though. The followers run about $20/piece.

+1 on that. My first 9mm pistol and I do like it.

The Shield's Mass compliant trigger sucks. You'll want the Apex trigger kit for it, but that puts it over budget.

After 1,300+ rounds I'm still loving my LC9s. No one makes a trigger kit for it because its trigger is that good. Mine eats everything from hot 115gr and 147gr self-defense rounds to lightly charged 147gr hand-loads.

It does have a safety and magazine disconnect. Some like that, some don't.

for that amount of money I would definitely say get a shield. especially true of the person has smaller hands like most women (or just anyone under about 5'8") as it will fit very well.

I he goes with the shield and wants a cheaper trigger fix, the necessary free state replacement parts work just fine and are a fraction of the apex kit in therms of cost.

Just a thought: how does he plan to carry? The xds 4.0 looks pretty appealing if the planned method is 4:00 iwb. If he ever plans to aiwb or pocket the shield or lc9s or 3.3 xds is a lot better. Now that I'm thinking out loud I'd like to see a 4" shield with a higher capacity. That would be a little intriguing.

Last edited:
Glock 43 if your coworker can get it ... if not, get the Shield. If getting a trigger job done on it puts it over budget... I wouldn't say it's not an immediate "must" , at the beginning anyway... one could always get used to how it shoots and then fix the trigger later.

Best if your coworker can get to a range that rents out pistols to try and see what best fits their hand.

I love my no safety Shield with the Apex kit in it, surprisingly I shoot it better than my 92FS. Haven't tried the others so I don't really have an informed vote though.

I've tried to convince a new shooter before that they should get a shield but they hated the stock trigger and were too intimidated by the thought of getting the trigger fixed. She was already put off by her treatment at a gun store and didn't relish the idea of having to go through the Apex installation with a gun shop. She liked my LC9S. It's a fine, boring, always works gun. Also a little easier for people that won't buy bigger sizes to conceal.

Back
Top Bottom