Martin burns public range

Its not he DCR officials really have to worry about. the 12 years I used to go there, all of the ones I seen, and came out to check my permit ect were cool, and often wanted to try what I brought. Its that fat bastard that runs it from his lil shack at beginning of the road need to be careful of as he thinks he is verse on gun laws, puls former leo ect.. treated me as if I was a felon, cause I had 5 wwii bolt rifles with me, and cause my wife was there with me, saying she didn't have a gun licnse wasn't allowed to handle guns blah blah blah blah, threatened to have police and rangers out ect.. joined a real club after that.

What??? Did you at least tell him to MYOFB? Fat **** sounds like a clown. Hope he shows up when I shoot there. I'll bring more than 5 firearms.

Anyone have a bench rest I could use at MB some time? Maybe a meetup. I have an sks that I want to work on and dont have one of my own yet.

Ill PM you before a trip. Most likely the first weekend after the range opens.... Depending on my work schedule. Thanks Warwickben

Applied 3/18 and received A4 paper permit 3/27. Time to explore the place next month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

god damn it i keep putting this off. i've gotta mail a request in.
do we have a solid date on when it "opens"?

god damn it i keep putting this off. i've gotta mail a request in.
do we have a solid date on when it "opens"?

April 26

Mailed my application in October, just got it a few weeks ago. I'm guessing they just didn't process it because I applied after it closed last year.

Just got my permit in the mail today. Extremely excited to have access to a trap range for personal use. I can rarely make the Wed. & Sun. shotgun events at my club. The trap field is off limits other than the bi-weekly club events.

It has been mentioned already in this thread, but I haven't seen a clear cut "Yes" or "No" answer to whether or not handguns are permitted for use at the target range under the "Only those firearms legally used for hunting may be used." rule.

Can anyone provide some color here on the interpretation of this rule. If you don't feel comfortable posting publicly, can someone please PM me. Many thanks

I hate thy I'm a procrastinator.
I wanna take my cousin on Sunday (possibly)
Overnighted my permit today. They'll get it tomorrow. I'd say there is a 12% chance it comes in the mail Saturday. Oh well. Maybe I'll go with no permit.
"I forgot it at my house" is a valid excuse, right? Or pull out last years....oops wrong one

Update on Martin Burns:

There are currently two benches, and four target stands. One of the target stands it pretty beat up, so I would at the very least start bringing cardboard.

BRING YOUR PERMIT. We were there Saturday. Had LE come in and check our permits. I had mine, but my friends, who have permits, had them in their other bags. Officer was not pleased, but allowed us to stay. He did check my drivers license and my friends LTC's. He said that next time we better have our papers in order.

I keep a photo copy of the permit in a ziplock bag, with all of my range stuff.

I did ask him the guest policy for future reference. There is no guest policy he said. You either have a permit or you don't. So keep that in mind when taking any non permitted people with you.

hmm. never heard of LE stopping by. Maybe because it is the holiday weekend?

Can anyone confirm the guest issue... there is no exclusions listed on the website and I want to confirm.

Also, does a city LEO have authority there, or is it park services/ rangers that have the say there.

Last edited:

Can anyone confirm the guest issue... there is no exclusions listed on the website and I want to confirm.
It was the Environmental Police. I had seen people asking about guests before, so I figured I would ask the guy who's job it was to enforce it. Granted, we all know police are as good as gun shop clerks at knowing the law, but he is also the guy who can kick you out.

thank you. I guess I will contact the licensing office to confirm. Seems strange, since you can lend firearms to people to hunt, but they cant use the range unless they get permits....

thank you. I guess I will contact the licensing office to confirm. Seems strange, since you can lend firearms to people to hunt, but they cant use the range unless they get permits....

Agreed. What got me thinking about that is the issue of bringing a non licensed person to shoot there. I am not that clear on the law, so take it for what it is worth, but I know that it is ok to hand a non licensed person a gun at a private range. I am not sure about this, because it is public land.

I still have a membership to a club, so if I am taking out newbs, I will continue to bring them there.

As for the hunting thing and the permit. I assume the officer will say that the person you loan a firearm to had a hunting license which for the purposes of this argument would equal the range permit.

My counter argument, is they wont get the permit, until they decide on the firearm, and thus the need to attend the range.

UPDATE: Called the Division Office.

Confirmed that all people at the range need to have their own permit.

Number is 978-772-2545, for all interested.

Seeing as the name is Martin Burns range, anyone know the policy on tracers? I just got the permit and it said nothing about ammo types

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Seeing as the name is Martin Burns range, anyone know the policy on tracers? I just got the permit and it said nothing about ammo types

Lets just assume this is a solid no. But feel free to call that one into the district manager (978-772-2545) and get an official answer.

I highly doubt it since there is no fire hydrant anywhere, and it is a FREAKING WILDLIFE PRESERVE!!!! Please do not use them without permission and **** up one of the last public shooting lands and hunting areas we have.

Also, does a city LEO have authority there, or is it park services/ rangers that have the say there.

When I was accosted there couple years ago the guy who manages the place, aside from treating me like a criminal cause I had more than2 guns, ripped me cause a friend who just got back from Afghan abd moved up from ga was shooting there with me with no permit. Said no guest allowed

Lets just assume this is a solid no. But feel free to call that one into the district manager (978-772-2545) and get an official answer.

I highly doubt it since there is no fire hydrant anywhere, and it is a FREAKING WILDLIFE PRESERVE!!!! Please do not use them without permission and **** up one of the last public shooting lands and hunting areas we have.

I assumed so, I just thought it was funny given the name that it wasn't mentioned.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

100% of the time I come here I bring unlicensed people with no permit.
What would the penalty be, if any?

Back
Top Bottom