Martin burns public range

Here's the satellite view of the range. Tables are just east of the road and face east towards the berm.

There's some capacity to move the target stands around, but it's ground and when it's muddy, it might be difficult to move them.

The rules say you can only shoot paper. I've been toying with the idea of making my own target stands so I can adjust distance as necessary.

EDIT :
And if you go up the road a bit, you'll see the shotgun section off to the left facing westerly. There's a short walk to get from the road the range area.

Here's the satellite view of the range. Tables are just east of the road and face east towards the berm.

There's some capacity to move the target stands around, but it's ground and when it's muddy, it might be difficult to move them.

The rules say you can only shoot paper. I've been toying with the idea of making my own target stands so I can adjust distance as necessary.

I've shot steel and crap . It's not like you got some one watching you etc.
I just steal those signs people have for elections from my grand ma. She runs for office all the time . So I just bring a hammer and pound them in .

Acme has bases that 1x2 or 1x3 boards fit it for sale also .

Last edited:
Does the skeet field have throw houses or is it just a field?

I haven't used it, so I don't know. Google maps shows "something" there, but I do recall seeing a father/son toting their own launcher last year.

If you haven't gotten a permit yet, post #14 in this thread has what I sent last year to get my permit.

Thanks for the reminder. Sent mine in for renewal.

You must bring your own throwers for the skeet area. I just use a hand thrower. it is just an open area with a picnic table.

Anyone get a license lately?
I sent mine in about three weeks ago. I didn't want to call and sound like an impatient prick.

Is this usual or did my letter get lost with the fine people of the usps?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone get a license lately?
I sent mine in about three weeks ago. I didn't want to call and sound like an impatient prick.

Is this usual or did my letter get lost with the fine people of the usps?

I had sent one in last fall and never got anything back

I haven't used it, so I don't know. Google maps shows "something" there, but I do recall seeing a father/son toting their own launcher last year.

If you haven't gotten a permit yet, post #14 in this thread has what I sent last year to get my permit.

No launcher, you have to hand toss or bring your own. Theres a handy dandy picnic table up there to set a launcher on, which is probably what google maps is showing.

I had sent one in last fall and never got anything back

I was told last year that they save all the renewals they get during the winter and process/mail them out as a batch. I believe last year it was around late Feb early March but my memory could be off. Should them arrive anytime though.

That's a shame. Did you call or try to submit another letter requesting a pass?

fell off my radar honestly

I was told last year that they save all the renewals they get during the winter and process/mail them out as a batch. I believe last year it was around late Feb early March but my memory could be off. Should them arrive anytime though.

good to know, I figured that this would be the case once I started thinking of it.

Per my letter, target shooting is permitted only between 04/26/2014 & 10/15/2014. 1/2 hour after sunrise (noon on sundays) to 1/2 hour before sunset. Closed on 09/27/2014 for a youth pheasant hunt.

turns out Adrand was dead on, got my letter yesterday

Good to hear. hopefully mine will be arriving soon as well. April cant come soon enough... I need to blow through some of this 22 that Ive been collecting during the winter.

My permit just came in today. I was expecting more of an ID... Not an 8x12. But hey... Free is free.

I tried looking thru old threads to find this answer but wanted to confirm... Has anyone had issues shooting handguns and ar15s? The legal hunting caliber line got me thinking. I'm no hunter so I'm not firm on the rules.

I saw this thread today and I got to wondering what happened to the request I sent out in October. I get home tonight and my permit was in the mail today. Im looking forward to going.

mine came through this morning.

Derek33 : I have shot my ar, ak, pistols, and mosins with no issue. Of course, I haven't seen any DCR officials.

There is a deeply buried description for firearms that are legal in hunting crow. They said all firearms could be used for crow hunting, therefore by the transitive property, all can be used at MBs.

I am however not a lawyer.

Relevant text:

Hunting Implements
: A person may hunt crows by means of a rifle, shotgun (shot not larger than #1), handgun, or archery except:
(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant or quail season, crows may be hunted only by shotgun or archery.

My permit just came in today. I was expecting more of an ID... Not an 8x12. But hey... Free is free.

I tried looking thru old threads to find this answer but wanted to confirm... Has anyone had issues shooting handguns and ar15s? The legal hunting caliber line got me thinking. I'm no hunter so I'm not firm on the rules.

mine came through this morning.

Derek33 : I have shot my ar, ak, pistols, and mosins with no issue. Of course, I haven't seen any DCR officials.

Its not he DCR officials really have to worry about. the 12 years I used to go there, all of the ones I seen, and came out to check my permit ect were cool, and often wanted to try what I brought. Its that fat bastard that runs it from his lil shack at beginning of the road need to be careful of as he thinks he is verse on gun laws, puls former leo ect.. treated me as if I was a felon, cause I had 5 wwii bolt rifles with me, and cause my wife was there with me, saying she didn't have a gun licnse wasn't allowed to handle guns blah blah blah blah, threatened to have police and rangers out ect.. joined a real club after that.

Last edited:
Gotta send in my letter, thanks folks! How about .50BMG? I really hate crows.

There is a deeply buried description for firearms that are legal in hunting crow. They said all firearms could be used for crow hunting, therefore by the transitive property, all can be used at MBs.

I am however not a lawyer.

Relevant text:

Hunting Implements
: A person may hunt crows by means of a rifle, shotgun (shot not larger than #1), handgun, or archery except:
(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant or quail season, crows may be hunted only by shotgun or archery.

Back
Top Bottom