• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a range.

GeorgeMason

NES Member
I'm looking for somewhere I can shoot rifles and pistols outdoors. I live in Central MA near the 90/495 intersection, so I would be looking in that area. Towns like Upton, Grafton, Hudson, the boros, Worcester, Ashland etc...
I'm looking for somewhere I can pay to go shoot. I do NOT want to sign up for work hours. I already work 2 jobs and have neither the time nor energy. I'm happy to pay a premium at a club that requires work. I don't mean to say I'm going to be slovenly and expect other to clean up after me. I'm quite neat. I'm also happy to help with something while I'm there, I just cannot commit
Secondly, I'd like to stay away from the sponsor system if at all possible. The idea of having to stand around a room of strangers and striking up conversations until someone decides they like the cut of my jib enough to sponsor me, just seems weird. I realize this may be unavoidable, so it's not a non-starter, but a preference.

Small daylight only outside club? Inside 24 hour access? Action bays? Need more than 100 yards? Like trap?

Small daylight only outside club? Inside 24 hour access? Action bays? Need more than 100 yards? Like trap?
My needs are very basic. No need for trap or more than 100 yards right now. Of course I'd like somewhere that has a 24 hour indoor keycard setup to shoot pistols but certainly not mandatory. I'll rarely if ever have a guest as most of my friends don't even own guns and those who do never shoot. My wife would probably join me every tenth visit.

I'm looking for somewhere I can shoot rifles and pistols outdoors. I live in Central MA near the 90/495 intersection, so I would be looking in that area. Towns like Upton, Grafton, Hudson, the boros, Worcester, Ashland etc...
I'm looking for somewhere I can pay to go shoot. I do NOT want to sign up for work hours. I already work 2 jobs and have neither the time nor energy. I'm happy to pay a premium at a club that requires work. I don't mean to say I'm going to be slovenly and expect other to clean up after me. I'm quite neat. I'm also happy to help with something while I'm there, I just cannot commit
Secondly, I'd like to stay away from the sponsor system if at all possible. The idea of having to stand around a room of strangers and striking up conversations until someone decides they like the cut of my jib enough to sponsor me, just seems weird. I realize this may be unavoidable, so it's not a non-starter, but a preference.

My needs are very basic. No need for trap or more than 100 yards right now. Of course I'd like somewhere that has a 24 hour indoor keycard setup to shoot pistols but certainly not mandatory. I'll rarely if ever have a guest as most of my friends don't even own guns and those who do never shoot. My wife would probably join me every tenth visit.
Hopedale PRC
No work hours
PM if interested

Hopkinton Sportsman is great. While work hours are preferred but their setup is as you mentioned, a surcharge if you don't participate in them. Another great option is Nipmuc Rod & Gun, no indoor facilties tho.

. . . in Central MA near the 90/495 intersection, so I would be looking in that area. . . . Secondly, I'd like to stay away from the sponsor system if at all possible.
There are three clubs in the Town of Hopkinton, a short jump away from the 90-495 intersection -- Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association, Southboro Rod & Gun Club, and Woodville Rod & Gun Club -- each with indoor and outdoor ranges.

Hopkinton Sportsman is great. While work hours are preferred but their setup is as you mentioned, a surcharge if you don't participate in them. Another great option is Nipmuc Rod & Gun, no indoor facilties tho.
I didn't realize a no-work surcharge was an option at Hopkinton. I'm just not sure about how I go about getting two strangers to sponsor me. Although I'm getting the sense that's going to be the case pretty much everywhere. Nipmuc's website says work is required.
There are three clubs in the Town of Hopkinton, a short jump away from the 90-495 intersection -- Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association, Southboro Rod & Gun Club, and Woodville Rod & Gun Club -- each with indoor and outdoor ranges.
All 3 very close to me. Woodville seems to have a work requirement. I can't find anything on Southboro's website that says they require work and it seems they also have an option for those who don't have a sponsor. Seems like a great option.

I didn't realize a no-work surcharge was an option at Hopkinton. I'm just not sure about how I go about getting two strangers to sponsor me.

Membership – Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Spells it out.

We do not want 2 strangers to sponsor you. . We DO however require at least one current member in good standing to vouch for the fact that you are a competent gun handler. This is standard procedure for MA clubs that wish to maintain their active status. Every once in a while someone may slip through the vetting process, however we have a great group of members and security procedures that assist us in making sure that things run safely at the club.

Although I'm getting the sense that's going to be the case pretty much everywhere. Nipmuc's website says work is required.

All 3 very close to me. Woodville seems to have a work requirement. I can't find anything on Southboro's website that says they require work and it seems they also have an option for those who don't have a sponsor. Seems like a great option.
These could be an option for you.

Feel free to reach out if I can provide any further details about HSA.

that wish to maintain their active status. Every once in a while someone may slip through the vetting process, however we have a great group of members and security procedures that assist us in making sure that things run safely at the club.
And one tough XO. Big biker type. Reacts to major injuries as if they were but a flesh wound.

Membership – Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Spells it out.

We do not want 2 strangers to sponsor you. . We DO however require at least one current member in good standing to vouch for the fact that you are a competent gun handler. This is standard procedure for MA clubs that wish to maintain their active status. Every once in a while someone may slip through the vetting process, however we have a great group of members and security procedures that assist us in making sure that things run safely at the club.

I’m also looking for a club and am drawn to hsa for the outdoor pistol and rifle ranges which, based on what I’ve been able to find, seem to be among the better ones in the area. Since it’s open to non-members, I showed up and shot a few rounds of trap last Sunday, and I’m going to do the same this coming Sunday if the rain holds out. It’s been a long time since I shot trap and I was rusty as hell but it was a lot of fun regardless. The few guys that were there that I briefly chatted with were nice, seems like a good club.

OP I know you said you don’t “need” trap but if you have any interest at all this may be an easy way to meet a few members and should feel less forced than showing up to a meeting or whatever to meet and greet.

Most clubs don't want its members to sponsor prospective members based on the cut of their jib. They expect their members to sponsor people that they have seen handle fire arms and can be relatively certain they aren't a f***ing moron that's gonna shoot them in the back while they are down range changing targets or let a round rip thru the partition to their left when locking a slide to rear on their pistola.

But hey......no worries......you're not in the minority.....you are just like 90 percent of the private club members that want an easy club to join......and won't do a thing to help maintain the property. I admire you though at least your up front and honest about it.

Most clubs don't want its members to sponsor prospective members based on the cut of their jib. They expect their members to sponsor people that they have seen handle fire arms and can be relatively certain they aren't a f***ing moron that's gonna shoot them in the back while they are down range changing targets or let a round rip thru the partition to their left when locking a slide to rear on their pistola.

But hey......no worries......you're not in the minority.....you are just like 90 percent of the private club members that want an easy club to join......and won't do a thing to help maintain the property. I admire you though at least your up front and honest about it.
Making sure someone is a safe gun handler makes a ton of sense and has mentioned by others as well. Im more than happy to demonstrate my safety. Honestly didn't even think of it from that perspective as I tend to view things through my lens of a safety conscious shooter.
Regarding work. I cannot commit to working hours. I work 2 jobs (roughly 60 hours a week) and have a high school age daughter whose activities need management and rides. I am not the type of person to commit to something and not be able to do it. Secondly, I never said I'm not willing to to do anything to maintain the property. I'm happy to clean up shooting areas, help build USPSA frames, basic snow removal or whatever else I can do to help the range while I'm there. I have no interest in stocking trout ponds, running haunted hayrides, scrubbing toilets etc.

They’re nothing remotely unethical about paying a little more in dues to NOT help with maintenance of a gun club. It’s perfectly fine !

I didn't realize a no-work surcharge was an option at Hopkinton. I'm just not sure about how I go about getting two strangers to sponsor me. Although I'm getting the sense that's going to be the case pretty much everywhere. Nipmuc's website says work is required.

You best bet is to go to Hopkinton on Sundays or Tuesdays for skeet and trap to meet people. Can also go there during a USPSA match or some other event going on. Sometimes those get a bit hectic and it could be difficult to link up with a member. I bought my kid to a Civil War event last year. Was a lot of very friendly people there.

There are also many members here such as me. One of us may be willing to meet up with you down there a time or two. I'm not the most social person but I am not unfriendly either :)

Don't forget Maspenock is also right down the street too. Worth looking into.

They’re nothing remotely unethical about paying a little more in dues to NOT help with maintenance of a gun club. It’s perfectly fine !
Where did I say it was unethical? I said he's like 90 percent of private club members and I admire him for being honest about it. Most private club members at clubs that don't charge more for not volunteering just flat out lie and say they'll help but never do. This guy's honest about the fact that he's gonna just shoot and screw. No problem.

Sorry, I've never belonged to a club that didn't have two rates. One for an 8hr. work party and one for not. I sometimes help out but feel no obligation too. I don't ask for the rate reduction.

Nipmuc doesn’t require work. Website is not up to date. I belong there for outside rifle (100 yds.). They also have outdoor pistol out to 25 yds, skeet and fishing.
I also belong to Hopedale for indoor pistol when outdoor is less than pleasant. They also allow pistol caliber carbines. Access 24 hrs x 365 days. There are some blackout dates which a calendar is sent out monthly to the membership.

Check out Maynard Rod and Gun. 100 yd rifle , large outdoor action range, 50’ outdoor pistol, and brand new indoor pistol/.22 rifle range. Lots of shotgun options and a trout pond too. Nice members lounge and outdoor Pavillion for family events. We have no expectations …PM me if you want more info

Back
Top Bottom