• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northern NH public range

new member.png

Welcome to the forum!

Tell us a little about yourself, and go Green (become a member)!

How is a public range comparable to a secret spot?
I'm looking for a public range or place to shoot in northern NH around the Littleton area

I prefer a "secret spot" or "place to shoot" over public ranges.

Some public ranges:
- limit their hours or days of operation.
- limit the rate of fire you can shoot.
- restrict the caliber of firearms.
- restrict the type of weapons handling you can perform.
- restrict the types of targets that you can use.
- have waiting lines, or the need to make appointments.

Public ranges can be dangerous because you don't know the competency level of the people using the firearms.

My place to shoot has none of these conditions.

I prefer a "secret spot" or "place to shoot" over public ranges.

Some public ranges:
- limit their hours or days of operation.
- limit the rate of fire you can shoot.
- restrict the caliber of firearms.
- restrict the type of weapons handling you can perform.
- restrict the types of targets that you can use.
- have waiting lines, or the need to make appointments.

Public ranges can be dangerous because you don't know the competency level of the people using the firearms.

My place to shoot has none of these conditions.
Well I'd prefer just a safe place to shoot that I don't have to pay for

Well I'd prefer just a safe place to shoot that I don't have to pay for
Agreed!

Spend some time getting to know people in your local area or just do some driving around.

Unfortunately, many of the popular shooting spots can be recognized from the trash people leave behind.

Hey OP, I've only been going to that area for a couple years, and only living here since the 31st, but everyone I talk to either shoots on their own land or shoot on a friend's land.

Have you investigated the legality of shooting in Forest Lake State Park? Note that the state park rules are significantly different than NH shooting in public rules. Also, shooting in the WM-they also have their own set of rules separate from NH's rules.

WMNF's rules for target shooting are on their website. NH state park rules can be found with a quick google search. NH laws for shooting in public, if you're not already familiar, can be found discussed on this forum with a search--the applicable RSAs are: RSAs 207:3A, 207:3c, and 644:13.

Hey OP, I've only been going to that area for a couple years, and only living here since the 31st, but everyone I talk to either shoots on their own land or shoot on a friend's land.

Have you investigated the legality of shooting in Forest Lake State Park? Note that the state park rules are significantly different than NH shooting in public rules. Also, shooting in the WM-they also have their own set of rules separate from NH's rules.

WMNF's rules for target shooting are on their website. NH state park rules can be found with a quick google search. NH laws for shooting in public, if you're not already familiar, can be found discussed on this forum with a search--the applicable RSAs are: RSAs 207:3A, 207:3c, and 644:13.
I have looked at that area a lot of it is densely packed as far as houses go because of the lake, the area that isn't doesn't look easily accessible, there is a large area of land owned by team O'Neil and a chipping company right up against the state park that might allow access, but I haven't tried contacting either yet. As far as the state and national forests, I was told by fish and game that hunting/shooting is allowed on all public lands with the exception of a few that are listed on their website, which are mostly smaller recreation areas in southern NH.

That's my problem, everyone shoots on their own land or friends land

Agreed!

Spend some time getting to know people in your local area or just do some driving around.

Unfortunately, many of the popular shooting spots can be recognized from the trash people leave behind.
That's the problem, the areas around here that were good for shooting, sand pits and stuff like that have banned shooting because of people who couldn't pick up after themselves and trashed the spots, ruining it for everyone.

As far as getting to know people and driving around, most people I talk to just point me towards the shooting range here, and as far as driving around, we have a lot of state/national land around here, it's just a matter of accessing it and finding an open area that is safe to shoot at, Ive downloaded an app called huntwise that has land ownership information, state, public, private...etc, but again it's hard to tell from satellite pictures areas that are open areas and trails to those locations

Groveton Fish & Game club isn't free, but it's a cheap annual membership. The $50 cost is for you and your family. Best of all, the rules are common sense.

Groveton Fish & Game club isn't free, but it's a cheap annual membership. The $50 cost is for you and your family. Best of all, the rules are common sense.

I was just looking at that, have you personally been there? Information and pictures seem to be limited, is it a decent size range? Is it typically busy? Im about half an hour away, so don't want to go there and find out it's packed and we can't shoot. Also is it heavily restricted like some ranges? Like is it staffed at all? And if so do they have rules like one round every couple of seconds kind of things and where they are looking over your shoulder the whole time?

My kids are 11 and 9, so probably not ready for that yet, but that does seem awesome and I'd like them to do it in the future

Your the best judge of when your kids are ready, but know we regularly have young kids on the line. 7 or 8 is not unheard of at Appleseed's. 9 and 11 is common.

If you have any questions please let me know.

I was just looking at that, have you personally been there? Information and pictures seem to be limited, is it a decent size range? Is it typically busy? Im about half an hour away, so don't want to go there and find out it's packed and we can't shoot. Also is it heavily restricted like some ranges? Like is it staffed at all? And if so do they have rules like one round every couple of seconds kind of things and where they are looking over your shoulder the whole time?
Yes, I've belonged for years. There are 100 and 200 yard rifle lanes, and 25 yard rimfire and pistol ranges. There's a fishing pond (for kids only).

If you go on a weekday, you'll probably be the only one there. I don't think I've ever been on the range when anyone else was shooting.

There are no Fudds watching. Everyone is a range officer. Don't shoot the target stands, the roof, or each other.

Yes, I've belonged for years. There are 100 and 200 yard rifle lanes, and 25 yard rimfire and pistol ranges. There's a fishing pond (for kids only).

If you go on a weekday, you'll probably be the only one there. I don't think I've ever been on the range when anyone else was shooting.

There are no Fudds watching. Everyone is a range officer. Don't shoot the target stands, the roof, or each other.
Ok awesome, that's the main reason I wanted to avoid ranges, don't want someone sitting there watching over my shoulder while I try to teach my kids. I think I'll probably join it then

Your the best judge of when your kids are ready, but know we regularly have young kids on the line. 7 or 8 is not unheard of at Appleseed's. 9 and 11 is common.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Well this will be their first time shooting, I've been going over safety with them for years, and I've been going over the fundamentals and dry firing with them for a while now too, getting them familiar with my guns. I know my 11 year old will probably be good with it, my 9 year old will definitely need extra work from me. How does it work, do I drop them off, do it with them...etc? I noticed there is one in my town in October, how far ahead is sign up required or do you recommend?

Well this will be their first time shooting, I've been going over safety with them for years, and I've been going over the fundamentals and dry firing with them for a while now too, getting them familiar with my guns. I know my 11 year old will probably be good with it, my 9 year old will definitely need extra work from me. How does it work, do I drop them off, do it with them...etc? I noticed there is one in my town in October, how far ahead is sign up required or do you recommend?
I do NOT recommend Appleseed for newbies. Transitioning positions safely with a slung rifle takes practice and proper training. None of which was done when I did an Appleseed (and my Wife did it too on a female only range) at Pelham many years ago.

Let them learn the fundamentals well before tackling an Appleseed.

Alderbrook is a sweet range in Littleton, NH. They recently had a long overdue change in leadership as well.

I’ll second Alder Brook. Went up there a few weeks ago shooting with some friends at the rifle range and then went up to the long range.
My membership is pending the orientation in a few weeks.

RE Alderbrook, granted they offer some unique opportunities for the area such as an indoor range and their long range, but man their fee schedule is up there.

Looks like $225 annually for one person if you want membership, the indoor range, and access to the longer range. Not counting their initial $50 application fee. Got it, they provide a good service and the tax man is coming for them, but that seems steep.

For a paid range and the OP's purpose, that Groveton option looks great. Hit up Scorpios, Smokin Ts, or Copper Pig on the way south.

Groveton does have an active clays program. The clays range is downrange, so the other ranges are closed when clays shoots are going on.

My only shotgun is 18.5" cylinder bore loaded with 4B followed by slugs, so I'm not into shooting clays. ;)

I do NOT recommend Appleseed for newbies. Transitioning positions safely with a slung rifle takes practice and proper training. None of which was done when I did an Appleseed (and my Wife did it too on a female only range) at Pelham many years ago.

Let them learn the fundamentals well before tackling an Appleseed.

I disagree. First time shooters are always welcome and encouraged at Project Appleseed. If a student is uncomfortable with some aspect of our instruction we will modify it. For younger shooters we allow bags, bipods, and no requirements to transition. Of course we do everything possible to teach with the sling, but If as instructors we notice an unsafe situation we adapt. We always run, at least at the events in NH, transitions dry at first. This gets the students comfortable and If we see anything we are unsafe with we address.

RE Alderbrook, granted they offer some unique opportunities for the area such as an indoor range and their long range, but man their fee schedule is up there.

Looks like $225 annually for one person if you want membership, the indoor range, and access to the longer range. Not counting their initial $50 application fee. Got it, they provide a good service and the tax man is coming for them, but that seems steep.

For a paid range and the OP's purpose, that Groveton option looks great. Hit up Scorpios, Smokin Ts, or Copper Pig on the way south.
Yeah I just got a membership to the Groveton one, Alder Brook seems nice, but expensive and like $10 extra per guest every single time

Definitely Scorpio's, love that place. Never had smokin Ts or Copper pig though, I'll have to give them a try

We are always excited for first time shooters. We usually are good at recognizing them. Most of the first 1hr or so is on safety. And it's talked about all day. There's a huge focus on. If someones not comfortable with something we do our best to help, coach, and instruct. If we recognize an unsafe situation we will adapt. Each of you will get a ton of instructions, one on one coaching, and lots of experience over the weekend. I have yet to see someone leave the weekend not being a safer shooter, a better shot, or a better knowledge of history.

To how it works can go depending on you. You can sign them up, but we need a parent present. So stick around. Plus you want to hear the instructions yourself so you can help reinforce them after the event.

But better, you should be on the line yourself. We have the instruction for the weekend, no need for you to worry about that. You should be on the line enjoying yourself.

We have an event in Dunbarton and Littleton in October. I'm 100% attending Dunbarton, Littleton I think I'll be there. Not that it matters.

Definitely Scorpio's, love that place. Never had smokin Ts or Copper pig though, I'll have to give them a try

Have only been in Scorpio's once. Need to get there again.

I like Copper Pig's dark beer and especially when they do their imperial stout. It's worth checking out their specials as they are sometimes a wide departure from their normal menu items.

Smokin Ts sometimes gets 'cute' with their specials, but the food is good, the portions are usually generous, and I've never had a bad meal there. Beer is generally affordable too-I think $6 a regular pint glass where lots of places are $7 and up.

Grandma's Kitchen in Whitefield sells 12 ounce bottles of Sam Adams for $8 :oops: -I just need to stick to breakfast when I go there.

Back
Top Bottom