Marines Travelling for Easter...told NOT to wear their uniforms?!?

Two cars passed me on the NYS Thruway today. Both had sailors in full uniform (at least the shirt), and both had their hats on. I never saw that before, wonder if it has anything to do with this?

We were specifically ordered to never wear our uniforms while traveling when I was on active duty in the Marines. It's about security, not pride.

Two cars passed me on the NYS Thruway today. Both had sailors in full uniform (at least the shirt), and both had their hats on. I never saw that before, wonder if it has anything to do with this?
Recruiters possibly?

- - - Updated - - -

maybe they should be ordered to stay in fatigues with an issued high capacity sidearm. this kind of homeland security obviously would make be common sense.

The overwhelming majority don't get issued a high capacity sidearm, and have no clue how to shoot one.

Interesting:
I have had to travel to Dallas TX a couple times for work. On many of the flights were soldiers (i think ARMY, but not sure) wearing uniforms.
I would assume that rule is not just for marines? Wonder why some do?

Actually, I think it is just for Marines. We're not allowed to wear cammies in public. It's highly recommended that you wear civilian attire when traveling, but if you choose to wear a uniform it must be a dress uniform. Therefore...screw that.

the few times I've seen men and women in uniform at Logan not only was there not a confrontation but folks were competing to buy them their coffee at starbucks

My son came home for xmas from AIT in uniform.He was telling me he never paid for anything in the airports.Never had a issue with anyone.

This comes and goes. We were told not to wear our uniforms while traveling from BCT back in 1994; by the time I hit AIT, they said we could if we wanted to. Flying from Ft Lewis to Ft Benning in 1996, we were once again told not to. And I was told, several times, that I should NEVER fly in BDUs.

Rules change from time to time. There's no need for outrage over this.

High and tight = boot/pog move! Low regs are where its at.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Word. Even when I was in basic I never had an issued bowl cut lmao! I get "yelled" at all the time for my hair, but it's within regs!

What a crock. I appreciate when they wear the uniform. If I'm at the airport I'll buy them a beer or coffee and on the plane I've given up my seat in business class to them. Never seen an issue except people not saying Thank you to them. .

We were specifically ordered to never wear our uniforms while traveling when I was on active duty in the Marines. It's about security, not pride.

Actually, I think it is just for Marines. We're not allowed to wear cammies in public. It's highly recommended that you wear civilian attire when traveling, but if you choose to wear a uniform it must be a dress uniform. Therefore...screw that.

These were the case for the Navy as well, no working uniform (utilities when I was in) off base. I traveled in uniform once (dress blues), it sucked, but then again I don't like or want attention from people I don't know.

The ONLY time I ever wore my uniform on leave was for additional female bait. God, some women are SO gullible.

When my son has come home for leave I've suggested he wear his dress blues (Navy)- keep reminding him he won't have to buy a drink and probably have to beat the girls back with a stick [grin]

Says it's too damned uncomfortable to wear...

These were the case for the Navy as well, no working uniform (utilities when I was in) off base. I traveled in uniform once (dress blues), it sucked, but then again I don't like or want attention from people I don't know.

Yeah I get a bit annoyed seeing army and Air Force guys walking around the mall in their camo.

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

I don't know what SOP was before 9/11 since I was in basic training at Fort Leonardwood MO during 9/11, but I do know we weren't supposed to wear our BDU's, Class A's, Dress Blues etc on any flight.

First, any one responding that was or is in the Army, Air Force, or even the Navy. We, Marines, are held to different standard. Some would even describe them as higher standards. I kid, I kid [wink].

I know pre 9/11 we were instructed not to travel in our uniforms. When I went through boot camp we were instructed not to sit in an isle seat, wear flashy jewelry, or wear anything that would identify ourself as a military member. If a highjack situation were to happen you did not want to be the person the highjacker pulled out of their seat. In additional to that why would you want to sit in your uniform for an entire flight getting it all wrinkled? Most would change in the airport bathroom.

Also, as Marines we were not permitted to wear our fatigues in public unless it was to get essentials before going home. Only Aplha's, Bravo's, Charlie's and Dress Blues were permitted to be worn in public.

I'd still never wear my cammies in public even if I could, I'd feel like a tool. And honestly Army cammies, that is the single biggest reason I am hesitant to go to the dark side to try to fly for the national guard. The ****ing torqouise cammies covered in velcro just look absolutely retarded. Beyond retarded in fact. They are so retarded, that they don't wear them in combat because they aren't ACTUALLY camouflage for anything but apparently cheap 70s furniture.

Mike

It still happens, every now and then somebody I know will have a story of being yelled at or spit on even (San Fransisco Intl). Its never happened to me personally.

I can't travel in NWU's or flight suit, would never even think of traveling in whites (get too dirty too quickly), blues (too expensive if I wreck them) or khakis. I do envy the AF and Army guys and gals in cammies, all the benefits of being in uniform with none of the discomforts[banghead]. Aside from being uncomfortable on a long flight, there is little cargo space in dress uniform pockets and airports seem to be one the places I accumulate the most shit to carry for some reason. I've never been in uniform at a civilian airport but admit the free drinks would be nice but probably more important than free drinks, I personally don't want the damn attention. I hate being thanked as I don't feel worthy of it, I'm just out of my training pipeline (years long) and have never seen a lick of combat or anything outside a training command. There are people out there who have it alot worse than me and really do deserve thanking. I have tons of pride in all services but at the end of the day I do what I do for my own selfish reasons. Serving the country is just an added benefit.

In short, this is nothing new, Marines have never been able to go into the outside world in cammies (frowned upon in Navy too) and Id assume most Marines don't want to wear dress uniforms any more than I do especially since they take extra special pride/care in having absolutely perfect uniforms. Stomping through airports and squeezing into airplanes is just not an environment suitable to wearing dress uniforms.

Upside of flying through SFO is the nicest USO Lounge I've ever seen. Had way too much time to kill between flights, figured I'd have a few drinks then find the USO Lounge and take a nap. Volunteer there was an older gentleman, WWII veteran that turned out to be one of the most interesting people I've ever sat and shot the breeze and drank [nobody can prove it wasn't coffee or soda that he had a stash of] with. But a real nice, well furnished USO Lounge - all kinds of snacks, microwave food, sports drinks for people that kill time in airports like I do, internet, comfy places to take a nap. Even fresh made sandwiches most days.

the few times I've seen men and women in uniform at Logan not only was there not a confrontation but folks were competing to buy them their coffee at starbucks

^^ This

I work at Logan in terminal C and I try to go out of my way every time I see ANYONE in uniform to buy them coffee or get them on the airplane ahead of everyone else. Anything to make their traveling a little easier.

[puke]

Don't know ANYONE who would confront someone in the service past or present.

Regardless of your politics, you support those who put their life on the line to protect this country & its ideals whether or not you agree with the current regime. [rolleyes]

Shame on us

Ever been to Cambridge?

Ever been to Cambridge?

I was about to type the SAME thing lol. My Guard unit is in Cambridge. I used to save myself the drive and take the train to drill. I've been called a murderer out right. . . I had one very young kid tell his mom "Look mommy is he in the army" "No hunny, he wears that outfit because he kills children" I had one guy try to fight me... And then the last incident I was spit on. I just drive in now.

But I've been in a little over 4 years. As far as I know, the rule has stood for a long time. You DO NOT FLY IN UNIFORM unless you are on orders. If you're flying to and from leave, you're in civilians. While I've never had an issue flying in uniform (it's usually met with thank yous, hand shakes, high fives, free drinks, food, and first class bump ups.... It is a good practice that avoids problems that would make you a target.

From 2006:

2. WE ARE A NATION AT WAR, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY IS THE MOST TRUSTED ORGANIZATION TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC.

TO KEEP THE DEDICATED EFFORTS OF OUR SOLDIERS VISIBLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC, THE ACU, BDU, AND DBDU ARE AUTHORIZED FORWEAR DURING COMMERCIAL TRAVEL BOTH CONUS AND OCONUS.

IN OCONUS AREAS, COMMANDERS WILL LIMIT TRAVEL IN UNIFORM TO MILITARY AIRLIFT COMMAND (MAC) FLIGHTS OR AMERICAN FLAGGED CARRIERS.

COMMANDERS AND LEADERS WILL ENSURE SOLDIERS PRESENT A PROFESSIONAL APPEARANCE AND REFLECT POSITIVELY ON THE ARMY AT ALL TIMES.

Army Study Guide - detailed policy.

yea, who the **** do they think they are, strutting around being proud of being the FEW the PROUD, the MARINES. Obama will put them in their place.
If I were to receive "the Medal" I would not go to the white house and have him touch it, I would say USPS it to me, thanks.

Quoting Alohadoug

That's been standard since 9/11. The only individuals authorized for travel in uniform are those returning from theater (mid-tour leave) and those leaving training status (i.e. Basic Combat Training, AIT, etc).

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom