Man charged with brandishing gun in Milton road rage case

ya know, it seems to me that you're supposed to stand there and take it. If someone waves a mini bat at you and you have whatever the hell it takes to strip the mini bat and shove it up his bat hole, you're screwed!
I think that if you try to defend yourself in todays society, you're the bad guy.[sad2]

When I was at LTC course my instructor was a retired PO with 30 years of LO experience.
He told us what to do when you are threatened with a deadly force(like a knife):
draw your gun, point it at the attacker, slowly move backward while saying loudly(and several times): drop your weapon, I have a gun, drop your weapon!

M1911 makes good points here. When you are outside your home you have to try and get away from the threat before you can eliminate the threat. That means PRESS THE GAS PEDAL rather than brandish your firearm. If he follows you home and then gets out of his car yelling "I'm gonna effin kill you you mother F-er with the bat" well, different story. If you can get away, get away. Granted, OC is a good step when applicable, and if it fails you escalate the level of force.

Yep, in this case, just drive away. If batman, who was in such a hurry to cause this crap in the first place, decides to follow you after you two argue and he waves the bat at you, give the police a call and have them meet up with you. No need to expose the gun, as pointed out, batman stayed in his car so there wasn't a clear immiment threat of harm.

Unlike the above scenario, if I have some retard following me who's angry with me, I'm not heading home. I don't want him/her/them knowing where I live. I'd be more likely either have the cops intercept us or just drive to the police station first.

Related observation. I happen to be checking out the smart carry holster after reading this article. Right on Smart Carry's front page is one woman's endorsement.

"I purchased your lower abdomen concealed carry holster some time ago. I believe wearing it and carrying my handgun may have saved my life! Recently, I was approached in an isolated mall parking lot by four young men who threatened me and demanded my purse and keys. I responded by simply raising my t-shirt to my waist and showing them the butt of my ever-present Glock. I did not have to draw my gun at all. One look did it. They ran. I can honestly say that I would not have been carrying that day had I not had the convenience and complete concealment of your SmartCarry product. Thank you!"[thinking]

I think that a lot of gun owners have this same mindset and would flash a gun on their belt to serve as a warning. That mindset, in this case, is also backed up by manufactures. It sounds like the instructors of defensive training classes have the opposite opinion.

Related observation. I happen to be checking out the smart carry holster after reading this article. Right on Smart Carry's front page is one woman's endorsement.

"I purchased your lower abdomen concealed carry holster some time ago. I believe wearing it and carrying my handgun may have saved my life! Recently, I was approached in an isolated mall parking lot by four young men who threatened me and demanded my purse and keys. I responded by simply raising my t-shirt to my waist and showing them the butt of my ever-present Glock. I did not have to draw my gun at all. One look did it. They ran. I can honestly say that I would not have been carrying that day had I not had the convenience and complete concealment of your SmartCarry product. Thank you!"[thinking]

I think that a lot of gun owners have this same mindset and would flash a gun on their belt to serve as a warning. That mindset, in this case, is also backed up by manufactures. It sounds like the instructors of defensive training classes have the opposite opinion.

But in this case, it was a woman, on foot, alone, being robbed by 4 men. She had reason to fear for her life and was justified. Batman was not.

Once the guy with the little bat gets out of his car (note, however, that the article doesn't mention any such thing), press the long skinny pedal on the right and get out of dodge. No need for OC, or brandishing, or anything else. The best way to win a fight is to never be in one in the first place.

However it is hard to call in (or see) a plate number when your eyes are burning out of their sockets from OC. [smile]

M1911 makes good points here. When you are outside your home you have to try and get away from the threat before you can eliminate the threat. That means PRESS THE GAS PEDAL rather than brandish your firearm. If he follows you home
If a car is following you, don't drive home. Dial 911 on your cell phone and start heading to the nearest police station.

However it is hard to call in (or see) a plate number when your eyes are burning out of their sockets from OC. [smile]
I know a fellow in NY State who was threatened and responded with OC. It took 3 years and $10,000 legal fees before he beat the charges.

OC may be a lower level of force, but it is still using force and it has legal consequences. Once again, the best way to avoid a confrontation is to never have one. You simply do not want to get caught up in the justice system.

Put your ego back in your pocket and drive away. It is a whole lot better than getting arrested and jailed.

For good reason. You have no idea if the other guy is armed. If he is, you just escalated a verbal confrontation into one where guns are pulled.

When I was at LTC course my instructor was a retired PO with 30 years of LO experience.
He told us what to do when you are threatened with a deadly force(like a knife):
draw your gun, point it at the attacker, slowly move backward while saying loudly(and several times): BangBang! Bang!

Fixed it for you

so stupid....leave your f@#cking gun concealed unless you're truly in fear for your life, and if that's the case, draw and shoot. Why the hell would anyone flash their gun as a warning? stupid stupid stupid.

so stupid....leave your f@#cking gun concealed unless you're truly in fear for your life, and if that's the case, draw and shoot. Why the hell would anyone flash their gun as a warning? stupid stupid stupid.

Because we want to try to end the confrontation without resorting to shooting. Much as the mainstream media would like to portray us all as kill crazy goons, we all know that is not the case. If shooting is justified, and you can get away without doing so, then you've won the gunfight the best way possible - by not having one.

I don't want to kill someone, especially over a stupid road rage argument. And as this is a PUBLIC BOARD, I will always try to find a way to not shoot someone that deserves it.

Because we want to try to end the confrontation without resorting to shooting. Much as the mainstream media would like to portray us all as kill crazy goons, we all know that is not the case. If shooting is justified, and you can get away without doing so, then you've won the gunfight the best way possible - by not having one.

I don't want to kill someone, especially over a stupid road rage argument. And as this is a PUBLIC BOARD, I will always try to find a way to not shoot someone that deserves it.

brandishing a gun will most likely do nothing to end the confrontation. It's more likely to escalate it. Plus you don't know if the other guy has a gun and your little tough guy brandishing stunt might result in him pulling a gun and using it.

The point is, if a shooting is justified then shoot, if a shooting is not justified, leave the god damned gun concealed.

Why do all just assume that everyone has a cell phone?

Do you all think the everyone wants a cell phone?

Or that one doesn't have a right to self-defense if he hasn't paid a mobile service for the privilege first?

I don't get what Wilton was arrested for. He followed the laws on self defense to the letter. First off, when he sees that the driver behind him wants to pass, he stops to let him. When threatened with a bat by this other driver, he showed that he was capable of defending himself (however, according to the article did not point the gun at Murphy) and as perscribed by law RETREATED in search of safety. His attacker, realizing his potential victim was ready to defend himself not only calls the cops on his victim, but FOLLOWS him which makes it a hard sell that Wilton was the aggressor.

No wonder Wilton was so upset about the arrest! According to the most recent Globe article, he said-

"Look, the guy threatened me with a miniature baseball bat, and I just returned the favor, what's the BFD?"

783493025_b050ebdb8b.jpg

Yup... that's the defense... the guy pulled out a mini baseball bat, so the guys pulls out a derringer... no escalation there!

Great pic, BTW!!!

Rich

i may very well be an idiot,,, i dont mind being called one by you cause i dont know you,,, but when faced with an aggressor,,, with a weapon of some sort,, who seems intent on bashing my brains in, should it be a felony to display my intent and ability to defend? most would say that you dont show you're gun unless you intend to shoot, but is the display as a deterrent such a bad thing? it will deescalate the situation, allowing one to pass undead.
(btw i dont carry) im just asking

I don't get what Wilton was arrested for. He followed the laws on self defense to the letter.
We disagree on that.

First off, when he sees that the driver behind him wants to pass, he stops to let him. When threatened with a bat by this other driver, he showed that he was capable of defending himself (however, according to the article did not point the gun at Murphy) and as perscribed by law RETREATED in search of safety.
When he displayed his gun, was he in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury? If, as the press reports imply, the other driver had not exited his car and was armed with a contact weapon (a bat), then the answer is no, he was not in immediate danger.

If he could have driven away (as it is clear he could, since he did), he should have, without ever displaying the gun.

If you are not justified in shooting someone, that is, if you are not in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury, do not display your gun.

i may very well be an idiot,,, i dont mind being called one by you cause i dont know you,,, but when faced with an aggressor,,, with a weapon of some sort,, who seems intent on bashing my brains in, should it be a felony to display my intent and ability to defend? most would say that you dont show you're gun unless you intend to shoot, but is the display as a deterrent such a bad thing? it will deescalate the situation, allowing one to pass undead.
(btw i dont carry) im just asking

It may not deescalate the situation. It clearly didn't here. The dipshit with the bat called the cops. How was that deescalation?

it was deescalation in that the threat to him was removed. the guy with the bat retreated.the display of his gun prevented injury to him as judged by him. did you get the undead thing there? he passed without injury,,, in fact noone was injured, it was only the spite of the aggressor that brought the police in. i believe that as a lawfull gun owner he will be aquitted as he succesfully defended himself without hurting anyone.

it was deescalation in that the threat to him was removed. the guy with the bat retreated.the display of his gun prevented injury to him as judged by him. did you get the undead thing there? he passed without injury,,, in fact noone was injured, it was only the spite of the aggressor that brought the police in. i believe that as a lawfull gun owner he will be aquitted as he succesfully defended himself without hurting anyone.

I think that the point is he could have driven away without pulling his weapon to achieve de-escalation. The fact that he pulled his holstered gun out means he ONE UPPED the bat weilding guy. The fact they were in public means that the gun toting guy had the requirement to RETREAT to safety BEFORE ESCALATING, however the gun owner escalated the situation, and therefore IMHO, his actions were not justified. He could have hit the gas to avoid confrontation. He chose to show a higher level of force in an attempt to end the confrontation. Bad call IMHO.

i'll give you the fact that he could have and did drive off,,, thats great,, i am happy that noone was hurt.... but,,, was showing superior defence a felony? as a law abiding gun owner,all tests passed , was he breaking the law? i think not. he was within his right

i'll give you the fact that he could have and did drive off,,, thats great,, i am happy that noone was hurt.... but,,, was showing superior defence a felony? as a law abiding gun owner,all tests passed , was he breaking the law? i think not. he was within his right

I'd be wicked careful thinking like that if you enjoy not being in prison.

Would you have considered him justified to have actually pulled the gun from the holster and shot the other guy, with no further actions by the other person?

I too am glad it wasn't escalated past where it was, and that it all ended well minus the whole getting some pretty bracelets put on. Its a threat, either way, which is why both men are being charged with the same crime. In our silly state, the AGs office says he should have called the PD and driven off. I'd say why get into a fight you don't need to, just drive away without the dick measuring contest. He doesn't need to know I had the bigger dick. Also, Those hollow points cost too much $$$ to shoot off needlessly [wink]

Back
Top Bottom