Magpul MBUS sights - copies???

I own 2 sets of "genuine" Magpul MBUS flip up sights. One in black the other in FDE. They feel like cheap pieces of crap to me, certainly not worth $90 in my opinion. Anyway was searching through ebay and see several cheapos! Most of the cheapos say PTS in the ad. Found one that said Back Up Sights at $19 so I ordered them cause I just had to see for myself. Well I got them, put them beside the "genuine" ones that I have and I cannot tell the difference! The only thing I can see is the main screw that clamps it on to the rail is Phillips instead of flat head. They dont feel any cheaper, they have about the same spring pop up tension, same markings, etc... I'm sure these are not the real deal for $19. I'd have to say they're Chinese copies. Anyone have any experience with these? Pictures added. The ones with the flat head screws, top picture, FDE picture and right sight in bottom picture I know to be "genuine". Other than that they look and feel identical to me.

Last edited:
5828a0e24709fb67c0c5bae1cbc844e5.jpg
fa0c60c9c907d9da7c2aade9e5fe5873.jpg
975361e45caceb14248bd2e4537d157e.jpg
310e2c0121c9ceb65c53a10038a9b3c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a full set of "Magpul" MOE AR stuff that came straight from China, wrapped in Chinese newspaper. The price was too good to be true - and it wasn't true. A friend cued me into it being on super-clearance on an airgun website so I took a gamble. Can't see/feel a difference other than cheaper hardware (as you describe) and it has all the same markings.

Perhaps Magpul is one of those companies whose plastic is done overseas? Or maybe the Chinese clone companies are just that good?

A member here who I've dealt with several times gave me these. Theyre the steel Pro MBUS sights. He got them for a fraction of the price and swears they are copies. They look like the real thing and like I said, quality wise the "genuine" ones feel cheap anyways!

Sorry pictures below.

Last edited:
I have a full set of "Magpul" MOE AR stuff that came straight from China, wrapped in Chinese newspaper. The price was too good to be true - and it wasn't true. A friend cued me into it being on super-clearance on an airgun website so I took a gamble. Can't see/feel a difference other than cheaper hardware (as you describe) and it has all the same markings.

Perhaps Magpul is one of those companies whose plastic is done overseas? Or maybe the Chinese clone companies are just that good?
I travel to China occasionally for work. Its unbelievable what you can get there. Everything you can imagine is copied right down to the last detail. I pick up hand bags for my wife all the time. Bought one for under $20. A friend bought the very same bag locally for over $500. Cant tell them apart!!

Last edited:
I travel to China occasionally for work. Its unbelievable what you can get there. Everything you can imagine is copied right down to the last detail. I pick up hand bags for my wife all the time. Bought one for under $20. A friend bought the very same bag locally for over $500. Cant tell them apart!!

Dated a girl from China many years ago. She brought me back three ESP guitars in pieces, with hard cases, which cost her about $200 USD in total, including checked luggage fees. They're apparently made in China, "assembled" in Japan, and she knew someone at the factory (or they were knockoffs, but I'd tend to lean toward the former). Sure beat the $1000+/ea but I felt a little scummy about it despite being a gift.

I understand that the PTS (airsoft versions) do not use the same reinforced polymer as the gun versions. Depends on how important they are. I like the metal pro magpul sights.

I pick up hand bags for my wife all the time. Bought one for under $20. A friend bought the very same bag locally for over $500. Cant tell them apart!!

She must not care then because there are fake ID guides all over the place for Coach, Vuitton, etc... and usually the fakes are easy to spot by anyone that takes a look at it more than 5 minutes. Some of the fakes are so bad they have plastic hardware thats disguised as brass and use poor quality zippers, etc. (a lot of the fakes don't use YKK zippers, etc. )

-Mike

She must not care then because there are fake ID guides all over the place for Coach, Vuitton, etc... and usually the fakes are easy to spot by anyone that takes a look at it more than 5 minutes. Some of the fakes are so bad they have plastic hardware thats disguised as brass and use poor quality zippers, etc. (a lot of the fakes don't use YKK zippers, etc. )

-Mike

Nope she dosent care but I'll tell you there are cheap fakes and hi quality fakes and trust me you will have a hell of a time trying to find a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope she dosent care but I'll tell you there are cheap fakes and hi quality fakes and trust me you will have a hell of a time trying to find a difference.

Some of them look really good at first but anything other than a cursory examination quickly shows them to be fake, particularly on the insides of the bags, etc. Lots of missing details, poor stitching, etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
I've had some some items produced in China and every once in a while a few would come through without the logos on it. I often wonder where the ones with logos went.

It's expensive to design/engineer something from scratch and that has to be paid back in piece price. It's fairly cheap to reverse engineer/copy. Another factor is the material and type of manufacture. Glass filled and regular polymer look pretty close. MIM with good material or cheap alloy looks the same once painted. The real test comes in use/abuse which most people will never really do to their equipment.

As far as i have seen, most of the magpul fakes have been coming from Amazon. I have yet to see a real legitimate magpul product come from amazon. Fake sights are very common and hard to pick out if its your first set. The quality just doesn't hold up tho. If you want the real thing, stop by my store. I stock a LOT of magpul goodies.
if you need help to identify if your stuff is legit or not, come by!
ALso, the magpul ASAP sling plates.... there have been a TON of fakes too.

Back
Top Bottom