• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Rifle Cases from Magpul: The look cool and have a new "grid" organizing system - Magpul Grid

Magpul - the Yeti of firearm accessory companies. More choices are fine but lightweight padded soft cases are so much easier than back breaking heavy hard cases. I have a ton of hard cases and never use them anymore. Unless traveling on a plane, there just isn't any point. Took me while to realize lugging heavy cases was just a waste of energy for the normal range trip. And adding ammo to an already heavy hard case?

It’s marketed for the gun owner who bought a rifle for SHTF and it rarely leaves the closet.

TBF, I should get some hardish foam blocks. Just to put between guns in my cases for those ones of times a year I go to the range. LOL. I should find small ones - maybe 1x1x6 for the pistol case. but some bigger 2x1x12 would be good.

Some good points in this thread. Some, well, not so good. Mnay great ideas begin with a possibly questionable product which will be evaluated and improved upon as time goes on. This may or may not be one of those.

I see this as being more applicable to a duty and/or competition rifle than just a quick trip to the range with any ole rifle who want to shoot that day.

It's expensive for sure. But then for a rifle in which you have invested heavily you might feel that it would be worth the cost.

I have a secret source in the rifle case business and might just try one as test. But I ain't throwing away my soft cases or hard plastic, foam-lined cases just yet.

Talking to gun owners about gun cases is like talking to tradesmen about tool boxes. Everyone has their own system that works for them. I don’t hate either way.

And BTW I’ll probably buy a couple of each of Magpuls new AR accessories. They have some cool stuff coming along.

God forbid anyone in the gun industry try to innovate. I swear most gun owners secretly hate themselves.

Rant over.

Agreed. But Mariachi was excellent, too. Dusk Till Dawn sorta petered out after an outstanding first half-hour.

Wasn't Desperado a remake of El Mariachi anyway? I was probably a little biased cause:

DecimalAgileKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

It's not for everyone. It's not for me, but if I wanted a serious travel case for a high-dollar gun, I'd look into it.

I'm also in the group who just toss rifles into a soft case before heading to the range. The Karens who don't need this should stop snarking on those who do.

For the price I’d buy more cases. I cut my foam like shit because I just don’t care. I just threw out like three boxes of extra foam because I have too much clutter.

Whose really going to look in a case with a FA belt fed and say gun and say, “hey, your foam looks like shit”

Anything I haven’t cut for a particular setup, I just wrap them in a towel and throw whatever in between.

The money would be better off spent on ammo, another gun or accessory.

I know people who would buy this and a pelican ($500+) and put a $1000 rifle with a $100 knock off optic and airsoft parts on it in one of these cases…

To each their own..

Don’t get me wrong it looks kind of cool but I don’t have time to play Legos every time I go out.

If open carry with a sling over your shoulder was normalized and people weren't such pussies we wouldn't need rifle cases. Just a fanny pack for extra ammo.
Get over it, 1/2 this damn country is afraid of guns, 'normalized' open carry will never happen. Beyond being retarded, it's more like 3/4 of the population doesn't want it. The number of people who own more than pure home defense weapons is way smaller than you think. We do generally have decent money behind us, but are a very small minority.

It's not for everyone. It's not for me, but if I wanted a serious travel case for a high-dollar gun, I'd look into it.

I'm also in the group who just toss rifles into a soft case before heading to the range. The Karens who don't need this should stop snarking on those who do.
I throw my guns on the back seat? Ammo on the floor board.

Now, if I get into 3 gun competition, I could see something like this. I'd still not really need it, no f'ing way I'm getting on a plane just to go shoot unless it's with Jerry. Even Jerry is only like 7 hours away from where I live now, still faster to drive.

If open carry with a sling over your shoulder was normalized and people weren't such pussies we wouldn't need rifle cases. Just a fanny pack for extra ammo.
and just when i thought christmas break and post "mostly peaceful, foreign-funded riots" public range days couldn't get more terrifying

I have a Pelican case precut for an AR and large frame semi and I never use the damn thing, but if I can get the inserts I would be interested as that one case could be used for multiple long guns.

For me, I'm thinking this would work out. I can definitely understand its not for everyone. This wouldn't be used for a range trip. I usually throw two rifles in a double-sided soft case and things have worked out well thus far. However, I'm going to be doing some more traveling this year all around, so having a hard case was always going to be in the cards for me.

For me, I've been camping out for the Appleseed events I've been attending. They are usually at least a 2-hour drive for me, so I just find a local campsite. I end up throwing a bunch of stuff in the vehicle and would rather have a hard case for the rifles. I also usually have two rifles with me. I'll be doing more 3gun events this year, and having a spot for a rifle, shotgun, and pistol is going to be ideal. The fact that it's modular, well I don't need extra foam for my one hard case, and I only need one hard case.

What I figured I will do is figure out my layout for my different setups, and have just enough blocks to fit all my needs. When I'm using less space, all the extra blocks will stay in the case. Nothing will be laying around.

I would probably be more interested in one of their cases, because of the unique latches, but I'm not going to wait for them to be released. I'll just grab the V730 and the separate inserts.

of course, my soft cases aren't going anywhere, they will be used for quick-range trips.

Finally got my Magpul Vault and started working on it. Just grabbed the first rifle I came across. For practise. It's very much overkill for the average carbine. I'm going to put a scoped 20" rifle in it next. That's a more likely candidate for this setup.

Magpul.JPG

Well, I put my scoped 20" Windham Weaponry in and it fits pretty well. This confirms my thoughts that this system is best for larger, more sophisticated rifles. Hunting rifles, for traveling, maybe for duty rifles where you might want to put some other items, e.g., ammo and magazines so that you have a true grab-and-go capability.

Even crescent wrenches, if just to trigger people. (heh, heh, heh)

Not sure how long of a rifle this will accomodate.

Added: One thing I did notice about this case. All of the other cases I have (Pelican and others) will stand up on the end opposite of the end carrying handle. Maybe not real stable but will stand upright. This one will not. Not sure why it's like that, but it is.

Daka Case.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I put my scoped 20" Windham Weaponry in and it fits pretty well. This confirms my thoughts that this system is best for larger, more sophisticated rifles. Hunting rifles, for traveling, maybe for duty rifles where you might want to put some other items, e.g., ammo and magazines so that you have a true grab-and-go capability.

Even crescent wrenches, if just to trigger people. (heh, heh, heh)

Not sure how long of a rifle this will accomodate.

Added: One thing I did notice about this case. All of the other cases I have (Pelican and others) will stand up on the end opposite of the end carrying handle. Maybe not real stable but will stand upright. This one will not. Noy sure why it's like that, but it is.

View attachment 728901
v730 or V800

What else was there, El Mariachi and the vampire movie? It’s better than those two.
You have to watch El Mariachi either before or after Desparado. It’s the original!

View: https://youtu.be/k7ej9E5b8js

And, i picked up a DAKA setup on Black Friday for a Plano case I cut for a particular rifle. Wanted it to be flexible for any gun. Ill post pics.

You have to watch El Mariachi either before or after Desparado. It’s the original!

View: https://youtu.be/k7ej9E5b8js

And, i picked up a DAKA setup on Black Friday for a Plano case I cut for a particular rifle. Wanted it to be flexible for any gun. Ill post pics.

I watched El Mariachi after the other two but didn’t like it much. It’s just not as stylish as Desperado and the woman is no Salma Hayek.

Some good points in this thread. Some, well, not so good. Mnay great ideas begin with a possibly questionable product which will be evaluated and improved upon as time goes on. This may or may not be one of those.

I see this as being more applicable to a duty and/or competition rifle than just a quick trip to the range with any ole rifle who want to shoot that day.

It's expensive for sure. But then for a rifle in which you have invested heavily you might feel that it would be worth the cost.

I have a secret source in the rifle case business and might just try one as test. But I ain't throwing away my soft cases or hard plastic, foam-lined cases just yet.
Um

I have 15-20k in rifles and optics in a locker banging against each other

Guns arent made to be kept pretty

Now i have a weird thing about expensive handguns

I.e i feel weird if i buy a wilson and it gets scuffed

But i think i cleaned my pws bolt carrier group for the first time since ive owned it today... and ive had it 5 years lol

Guns are meant to be beat on

Back
Top Bottom