New Rifle Cases from Magpul: The look cool and have a new "grid" organizing system - Magpul Grid

If open carry with a sling over your shoulder was normalized and people weren't such pussies we wouldn't need rifle cases. Just a fanny pack for extra ammo.
If my grandma had wheels, she’d be a bicycle.
I don’t fly, so I don’t see a need for a hard case. I used to own a Plano 48”, and actually gave it away, because I don’t really have the space. A decent do it all drag bag is the better solution FOR ME.

I like it for a number of reasons. First, you can run any rifle and align the blocking to fit which is good if you are always travelling with different stuff. Second, its going to keep your guns from moving better than random scattered chunks of pick and pluck foam will. Third, It saves you from the expense of having multiple cases or at a minimum multiple cut foam inserts.

Where this doesn't have value is if you only move a few guns down the road to the range, you have a very small number of rifles, you have cheap rifles that you don't really care about their condition.

I'll be keeping an eye on this... I have a Pelican case now that I've replaced the foam in a few times. Right now I have it configured with the egg crate type so that I can put whatever rifle I want into it. I need to confirm the model number and see IF they'll be releasing their (Magpul) foam for it or not (or when). I'm hoping that some local store(s) will carry the Magpul cases when released so that I can fondle them. That will be the deciding factor for me purchasing any.

I do like how they've changed things up from other cases. But, the Vault and Storm cases have really nice latches that are easy to use. Post next move I don't think I'll need as many cases as I currently have (plan to get a good sized safe at that point). If Magpul has managed to keep their case weight lower than the Pelican/Vault/Storm cases of the same size, that could be another draw.

As another mentioned, I don't fly (with or without firearms). So that aspect is less of a concern for me.

I'll be keeping an eye on this... I have a Pelican case now that I've replaced the foam in a few times. Right now I have it configured with the egg crate type so that I can put whatever rifle I want into it. I need to confirm the model number and see IF they'll be releasing their (Magpul) foam for it or not (or when). I'm hoping that some local store(s) will carry the Magpul cases when released so that I can fondle them. That will be the deciding factor for me purchasing any.

I do like how they've changed things up from other cases. But, the Vault and Storm cases have really nice latches that are easy to use. Post next move I don't think I'll need as many cases as I currently have (plan to get a good sized safe at that point). If Magpul has managed to keep their case weight lower than the Pelican/Vault/Storm cases of the same size, that could be another draw.

As another mentioned, I don't fly (with or without firearms). So that aspect is less of a concern for me.
magpul didn't make the case, this is a replacement insert for your existing pelican cases as opposed to custom foam but with more modularity.
**Edit**missed this at the bottom of their page but it looks like they are getting into cases in the future as well

Last edited:
I like the concept but the price point is absurd and I think the design/concept can be improved a lot. It will be interesting to see what other do to build off this concept and make a version which is better and less expensive.

This is the kind of thing that looks good on paper but is ultimately a gimmick. Who is realistically going to drag out the case, the spare blocks, and rearrange everything before taking a particular rifle somewhere? I'm just sticking long guns in a soft case and carrying the rest in a range bag instead. This arrangement isn't a realistic alternative to a range bag. And if it's going to be dedicated to a single rifle it seems like a much better option would be to get some custom cut foam, which is widely available, cheaper, and generally better (but for the lack of modularity).

I like but will pass because of the price. I'll keep grabbing the electric turkey carving knife when Mrs. Mountain isn't looking and will keep cutting out my own custom inserts for the Pelican cases.

This is the kind of thing that looks good on paper but is ultimately a gimmick. Who is realistically going to drag out the case, the spare blocks, and rearrange everything before taking a particular rifle somewhere? I'm just sticking long guns in a soft case and carrying the rest in a range bag instead. This arrangement isn't a realistic alternative to a range bag. And if it's going to be dedicated to a single rifle it seems like a much better option would be to get some custom cut foam, which is widely available, cheaper, and generally better (but for the lack of modularity).
IMO, the design is more for people with multiple rifles but only want one (or two) cases they can use for any/all of them.

Once you do the other foam options (custom cut or pick and pluck) you're locked into that setup. Yes, it works IF you have one firearm dedicated to that case. I'll be looking to have one, or two, cases that I could use for a range of rifles. I kind of have that with the egg crate type foam in most of my cases now. But, I would like something that keeps things in position better in the future. My Pelican case is one of the longer 1700 series. Not sure which one since it's tucked into the closet currently. If/when Magpul comes out with their foam inserts for this case, I'll look into getting a set. If their cases are lighter by enough, I'll also look to get one, or maybe more, of those too.

IME, soft cases suck. At best they're "OK" for short trips or when you're transporting a small amount of items. I've been known to load up the back of the truck cab with items going to the range. A soft case is less than optimal for me in those instances. I'm also not treking long distances between where I park and setup at the range. So making a few trips between is no issue. I don't need to sling 15 straps around me to get everything in one shot.

Am I the only one that throws all my shit in a duffle bag and heads to the range?

This.

This case looks like one of those James Bond briefcases where he assembles an AR-7 into a sniper rifle to take out the bad guy in the spy movies.

It would also be a great option to fly with, I'm guessing.

Personally, I have a couple gun cases and a couple baseball bat bags for long guns if I'm going to be stopping. Mostly, the guns get tossed on the back seat and (maybe) covered with a jacket. Ammo, ear pro, eye pro, staplers, pistols and cleaning rod all get tossed into a duffel bag and I'll rummage through it and get what I need as I need it.

Guns aren't delicate. They're made of steel and wood or plastic - they can take abuse.

This isn't a thing for the typical range trip and to that point most aren't using pelican cases for range trips. However when you put over $10k into a case you want to have your stuff stay put. My case has custom foam I designed and had cnc cut but its only good for this particular loadout which means if I want to transport another gun its useless.

1673372543964.jpeg

A foam cutout can be "generic" enough for several similar guns. I don't need a specific insert for my Rem700, vs my T3x, vs my Origin, or my Deviant. They are all close enough that a general cutout works.

Same for ARs, even with different buttstocks, forends, etc, they are close enough.

And those generic foam cutouts will protect it more and prevent shifting more than this peg board qbert thing.

A foam cutout can be "generic" enough for several similar guns. I don't need a specific insert for my Rem700, vs my T3x, vs my Origin, or my Deviant. They are all close enough that a general cutout works.

Same for ARs, even with different buttstocks, forends, etc, they are close enough.

And those generic foam cutouts will protect it more and prevent shifting more than this peg board qbert thing.
I think it can as well but its not necessarily something I would want to fly with. Last time I tried that TSA at logan dumped two rifles headed to shot show onto the ground.

Clever mofos over there at Magpul, I'll give them that. Makes me dizzy though.

better-hero_1.jpg
LOL at the tool kit.

A crescent wrench and generic automobile-sized allen set are always in my range bag!

Even if people don't like it, they will buy it because it's Magpul.

Magpul is the Apple of the firearms world.

"I got my new Magpul case, it's so cool I don't even notice it weighs 150 lbs because of all the shit I had to pack in there so shit doesn't shuffle around and bang into other shit."

Even if people don't like it, they will buy it because it's Magpul.

Magpul is the Apple of the firearms world.

"I got my new Magpul case, it's so cool I don't even notice it weighs 150 lbs because of all the shit I had to pack in there so shit doesn't shuffle around and bang into other shit."

I was upset when they stopped making iPhone cases. Although to be honest the cases sucked cause dirt would get inside and scratch the hell out of your phone.

I don’t understand the hate. It’s a good idea. It’s expensive, sure. But so are replacement foam inserts. If it works well and is secure, and you travel with different stuff, it’s probably well worth it. The concept is great and I’d like to see if the execution is there.

I get that it won’t be for everyone and isn’t for everything. I use soft bags or just gun socks for normal transport to the range. I hardly ever use hard cases. But if I were to fly with anything besides a carry pistol, this would be awesome.

Magpul - the Yeti of firearm accessory companies. More choices are fine but lightweight padded soft cases are so much easier than back breaking heavy hard cases. I have a ton of hard cases and never use them anymore. Unless traveling on a plane, there just isn't any point. Took me while to realize lugging heavy cases was just a waste of energy for the normal range trip. And adding ammo to an already heavy hard case?

Back
Top Bottom