• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magazine Blocks to reduce capacity. Are they legal in MA?

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
I have been searching around the forum and internet and found a general lack of information on magazine blocks. These are chunks of molded plastic like material that are inserted in a magazine to reduce capacity and make the magazine comply with low cap regulations.

I am specifically interested in M&P 9mm. I want to install a Magwell and Base plates on my M&P and magazines. Problem is NO ONE makes base plates that work on the 10 round magazines.

Are these legal for use in MA?

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/pistols-3/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-m-p-magblock-10-17-9mm.html

Any other ways to reduce mag capacity? I have several ideas but these would seem to fit the bill and make life easy.

The GSG5 I bought long ago in MA came with these blocks installed, so I guess so. I have no idea if it changes things by installing them yourself.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

This is one that depends on your level of comfort. Can the magazine only hold 10 rounds? Are you ever likely to have a cop or prosecutor testing your magazine?

There is no case law or written statements from the state on requirements for magazines, so nobody really knows.

This is the answer, we don't know. It appears that if the mfr does it it is OK. I do believe that if you or I do it, that a MA DA would have an easy time convicting us . . . but that is just one person's belief.

This is the answer, we don't know. It appears that if the mfr does it it is OK. I do believe that if you or I do it, that a MA DA would have an easy time convicting us . . . but that is just one person's belief.
Out of curiosity, would you believe there's any difference between factory mags assembled with a block vs a diy magazine?

Out of curiosity, would you believe there's any difference between factory mags assembled with a block vs a diy magazine?

Some make it relatively impossible to defeat whereas I am told that a few make it relatively easy.

I'm just saying that any mag marked 12, 15, 17, 19, etc. on witness holes would give significant ammo (pardon the pun) to a rambunctious DA and conviction is quite possible. I've had dealings with one such A-hole ADA (but it was a pleasure putting him in his place in front of the judge!) and am aware of others by their actions.

I bought a newer gun a while back that didn't have prebans or 10 round mags available. The gunsmith put in some kind of plate and rod to keep it at ten rounds, but they all broke and reverted to standard mags after one range trip.

It's not a carry gun, just a range toy so I just use them as is.

There is a site that sells permanently altered mags. I looked at them for my Scorpion.

20 round mags that only take 10.

http://www.calegalmags.com/1020-CZ-Scorpion-Evo-9mm-Transparent-Magazine-_p_1578.html

Not sure if they do the same for pistol.

You're missing the point. I have 12 10 round magazines. Getting low cap magazines is not the problem.

I want to install a Springer Precision Magwell and Base Plates. The Base Plates will not fit on the 10 round magazines. Stock magazines of any capacity will not work with the Magwell until the base plates are changed out. To the best of my knowledge no one other than Springer makes Magwells for an M&P (Speed Shooter Specialties has them but they are rebranded Springers and identical.)

Last edited:
I'm just saying that any mag marked 12, 15, 17, 19, etc. on witness holes would give significant ammo (pardon the pun) to a rambunctious DA and conviction is quite possible. I've had dealings with one such A-hole ADA (but it was a pleasure putting him in his place in front of the judge!) and am aware of others by their actions.

You would think that DAs would have better things to do with their time however I absolutely have no doubt that some DAs would go after you in this state.

My friend is a long time LEO. One of the good ones. We have discussed this on several times. He says that if he gets you for high cap magazines you have other problems and he is just using that as an add on.

I tend to think you are right. Much better to defend "this is the manufacturer's crippled version mag" vs. "this is what I did to try to follow your stupid law." [thinking]

Still, I breathlessly await the first test case... which I doubt will ever happen in my remaining lifetime. [laugh]

Yeah. Let's think of ways to epoxy things into our magazines. [crying]

What a craphole this place is at times. I'm staying. I'm fighting. But epoxy'ing something inside a magazine just feels like an additional admission of defeat. :(

- - - Updated - - -

You would think that DAs would have better things to do with their time however I absolutely have no doubt that some DAs would go after you in this state.

My friend is a long time LEO. One of the good ones. We have discussed this on several times. He says that if he gets you for high cap magazines you have other problems and he is just using that as an add on.

Pretty sure there was just a case recently where the hi-cap jammed the guy up.

I would NORMALLY tend to agree with you, but some days, you're just going to get screwed. The law IS the law. And our own special recipe if ig'nert around here includes "GUNZRBAD!!!! RUNZAWAY!!!!!!"

I tend to think you are right. Much better to defend "this is the manufacturer's crippled version mag" vs. "this is what I did to try to follow your stupid law." [thinking]

Still, I breathlessly await the first test case... which I doubt will ever happen in my remaining lifetime. [laugh]

Showing deliberate intent to comply with the law is always a good place to argue your defense.

I've used mag-stops in shotguns for hunting all the time - same principle applies, don't see why it can't be applied here. Mag-stop installation was the responsibility of the gun-owner, and the law enforced upon-inspection only.

Some make it relatively impossible to defeat whereas I am told that a few make it relatively easy.

Although I agree I've always wanted to engrave 10-15-20 on my crippled 10rnd mags. Sadly that alone comes with great risk as you say.

Are these legal for use in MA?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

"''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition."

With a machine shop anything can be readily converted..

We are so f-d here in Waassachusetts!

It would be so much easier if everyone just understood what the word infringe meant!

Last edited:
S&W uses the same 25 round 15-22 magazine for the 10 rounder, pinned for lower capacity. Seems like a block would accomplish the same thing.
smith works in mysterious ways. my full size m&p .22 has blocked 12 rd mags making them 10's. these blocks are neither glued or pinned and tumble out when the mag is taken apart. and no round count markings on the view window of the mag. the part number designating them 10 round mags has since worn off. i thought they were laser etched to the metal but i guess they were ink jetted on.

With a machine shop anything can be readily converted..

We are so f-d here in Waassachusetts!

It would be so much easier if everyone just understood what the word infringe meant!
Yes but if you epoxy the thing in there, you probably won't be readily converting it without wrecking it. So that is probably safest. I still have on my to do list to see if I can convert back my GSG5 mags back to 25 rounders.... I don't think they used epoxy but I didn't open it up to be sure.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

"''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition."

See this thread by Boris: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?highlight=high+capacity+bottle

revive for 2020: what does epoxy and readily converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition mean? Just epoxy the magblock to the baseplate or does the baseplate and magblock have to be epoxied to the magazine to make it unable to be taken apart? I guess it depends on how its interprited.

revive for 2020: what does epoxy and readily converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition mean? Just epoxy the magblock to the baseplate or does the baseplate and magblock have to be epoxied to the magazine to make it unable to be taken apart? I guess it depends on how its interprited.

I don't think this topic got any clearer in the last 3 years since the original post, and browncoat's statement is still most likely the most accurate.

Didn't read the whole thread because I'm lazy but...

I bought a couple of shields a while back and wanted spare mags so I bought a dozen or so, brand new in package. Three of them wouldn't load to capacity. Hard stop. Took them apart, found "spare" followers in them.

So order some followers and "install" "spares".

No idea whether that will solve the legal issue or not.

Back
Top Bottom