• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA: worst anti-gun state?

jcr

Is Massachusetts the worst anti-gun state? Of course, it depends how you measure.

I've found a new metric.

The "Congressional" amici brief was signed by 250 congressmen, 55 Senators, and the VP. The legislators came from 45 states.

Only 5 states had no signers -- DE, HI. MA, RI, and VT.

Though other states have horrid laws (and high Brady grades), the usual contenders (CA, NY, IL) also have a bunch of people in Congress who support the RKBA.

Of the five states with nary a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, Massachusetts is the largest (more Reps, provides more chances for sanity). Ten Reps, two Senators -- all grabbers.

Once you get your LTC A, MA actually has a lot going for it:

1. There's no waiting period to buy guns
  2. You can carry almost anywhere (in more places than you can in Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc.)
  3. There's lots of ranges

The big problems here are the discretionary licensing, stupid storage laws, and all the EOPS crap.

Is Massachusetts the worst anti-gun state?

No, it is not the worst state. I grew up in IL, where there is no provision for concealed carry permits, not even discretionary. The town I grew up near Chicago has a handgun ban.

Here in MA, I own many handguns and have a license to carry concealed. Neither of which would be possible back in my hometown. Nor would I live 5 minutes from a gun club.

2. You can carry almost anywhere (in more places than you can in Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc.)

The big problems here are the discretionary licensing, stupid storage laws, and all the EOPS crap.
Try buying a Colt or an HK when you are feeling blessed to lin in Ma.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it's a national disgrace and embarrassment that not one of our illustrious elected officials
signed that brief. It's even more embarressing when one considers that this state is where the American Revolution began.

I hope and pray that this state loses the predicted 1-2 seats in the House of Representatives after the 2010 census.

In other news... I'm perplexed/confused why none of the VT delegation didn't sign it... a state with a Libertarian philosophy and
some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country.

BTW, I agree with you guys that if you live in a green town Mass is not so bad once you get the LTC-A ALP. Illinois and Wisconsin have ZERO CCW. Nebraska has it but every f-ing town can decide to ban CCW despite state law. California CCW is very county dependent, so if your county does not issue, you must move to a whole nother county (while in Mass, you can often move a few miles and be in a completely different issuing jurisdiction).

Some states that I consdier extremely good with gun laws:

Washington, Oregon, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Florida (except a 3 day wait for handguns if no CCW), Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri.

Ohio is not too bad, but our CCW still needs work. There is action in the House to remove almost all restrictions on CCW in Ohio, and according to my conversation with the bill's sponsor its first committee hearing went very well.

+1 and if you live in a green town, it makes more bearable.

Some of you noted the two states left with no license to carry. MA is a discretionary state and there are worse as listed. Hawaii is a failure, overrun with asian pacifists.

MA is where it is at because we have an all liberal representatives and senators. At the federal level, VT is very liberal.

You can see every year why people in MA have to stay alert, by the immense barrage of new bills.

Some of those states as poor as MA also may limit what caliber you can carry.

What is missed too is Osama and Billary didn't sign it.

Too many gun owners let themselves get divided and conquered. They don't defend military rifle shooters, or handgun shooters/owners. Many don't believe in more than a shotgun or hunting rifle. Then there are the ones that won't support hunting.

McCain is a nut but he signed it. If Deval was a senator he wouldn't sign it, nor would his right hand man Murray.

The minority in MA that support this effort have to help local people trying to get elected, and support the groups that fight the gun grabbers across the country. There is a lot of truth to Vote Freedom First.

Dana

Ohio is not too bad, but our CCW still needs work. There is action in the House to remove almost all restrictions on CCW in Ohio, and according to my conversation with the bill's sponsor its first committee hearing went very well.

Please keep us informed about that. I visit OH a couple times a year to see relatives and would have brought Mr. Kahr with me, but the requirement for open carry while in a vehicle made it a non-starter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no waiting period to buy guns
You can carry almost anywhere (in more places than you can in Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc.)
There's lots of ranges

one other thing MA has going for it is you can get a Green Card (Machine Gun License) and there are other states that wont allow them in any capacity to own other than dealers and LE. Its not an easy thing to do but it can be done.
Rob

I visit OH a couple times a year to see relatives and would have brought Mr. Kahr with me, but the requirement for open carry while in a vehicle made it a non-starter.
The requirement to open carry in a vehicle went out on March 14th of last year when House Bill 347 was signed into law. Now you can conceal while you drive, and there has not been a river of Highway Patrol blood on the streets like the opponents shrieked.

HB 347 also invalidates ALL local gun control ordinances including AWBs in all the major cities.

California is pretty much the same as Massachusetts for getting a carry permit; it all depends on where you live and possibly who you know. OTOH, California's AW ban prohibits a lot of things Massachusetts' doesn't, including previously unregistered pre-ban scary-looking guns; there are a lot more places off-limits for carry if you do manage to get a carry permit; even with your permit there's still a waiting period; and they've already passed some of the stupid magic safe gun/ballistic DNA shit that our legislature is still salivating over.

Ken

one other thing MA has going for it is you can get a Green Card (Machine Gun License) and there are other states that wont allow them in any capacity to own other than dealers and LE. Its not an easy thing to do but it can be done.
Rob

Except in every state where MGs are legal, you don't need a license (just pay the tax) to have it, except MA and CA. So... Not really sure how Green Cards are a good thing... And no silencers is LAME!

--EasyD

California is pretty much the same as Massachusetts for getting a carry permit; it all depends on where you live and possibly who you know. OTOH, California's AW ban prohibits a lot of things Massachusetts' doesn't, including previously unregistered pre-ban scary-looking guns; there are a lot more places off-limits for carry if you do manage to get a carry permit; even with your permit there's still a waiting period; and they've already passed some of the stupid magic safe gun/ballistic DNA shit that our legislature is still salivating over.

Ken

From talking to CA friends, the chances of getting an LTC-A in MA are better than a CCW permit in CA. However, their CCW permit isn't tied in with the kind of guns you can buy like a MA LTC-A is (required for hi-cap handguns). CA is probably worse overall but mostly it's just a different form of suck.

I would rather have our laws restricting what we can buy than live in a state where getting a concealed permit is almost impossible like NY and NJ. I have family in NJ and they DO have a permit, but if you're not a police officer or politically connected it's all but impossible to get one. Not to mention at least we can buy pre-ban high caps. From what I understand they cannot have any mags over 15 rounds, PERIOD.

Except in every state where MGs are legal, you don't need a license (just pay the tax) to have it, except MA and CA. So... Not really sure how Green Cards are a good thing... And no silencers is LAME!

--EasyD

oh I agree with you.. just having the rule that says you need a green card for a Machine Gun stinks but I guess my point was there are some states that just have a blanket rule that says, "No Machine Guns Period."
So at least some people have a chance to get one where as in some other states you dont even get that chance like in NY.

Not being able to have a suppressor stinks too. I agree. [sad2]

+1, that is... IF you have the unrestricted LTC-A and dont live in a twon where the COP is a liberal gun hating prick.

MA's "badness" is subjective. To some it's obnoxious and to others its really obnoxious- depends on what kind of oppression you happen to be facing... If you live in an anti-gun shithole like Boston, Brookline, Brockton, or any number of other "red" towns, then it is far worse than a lot of places, and only rivaled by the places that ban CCW outright, or nearly outright. It's certainly within the top 10.

NJ, MD, CA, IL, HI, WI, NY, MA are among the worst. Mainly because getting carry "privilege" in those states is difficult or impossible. although if you live in a handful of counties in CA, it's not that bad... too bad most of the issuing counties are away from civilization.

Course it depends on your metric.... I put CCW ability at the top of the list, because it's the most controversial... everything else comes secondary to that.... although I can say with great certainty that CA's AW ban is far worse than ours is. The only redeeming feature in CA is that there is no required license for "mere posession" for the few guns that are allowed. Regardless, I still would not downgrade from MA, in any event.

-Mike

I have been reading the places not allowed to carry in FL and I just see a mirror like that of MA. Can you tell me where someone from MA can carry that one from FL can not?

I have been reading the places not allowed to carry in FL and I just see a mirror like that of MA. Can you tell me where someone from MA can carry that one from FL can not?

IIRC FL has some kind of limited carry prohibition on bars, places that serve alcohol and the like, whereas MA doesn't really have this at all.

I'm unsure offhand if FL has any binding signage on private property- MA has none at all except when the location is otherwise prohibited by law anyways. Many of the "new states" with shall issue CCW have some form of binding
signage. TX has binding signage, for instance, but the funny thing is a lot of places that post, their signage doesn't comply with the standards set forth in the law (30.06) so it's legally null anyways. [laugh]

Edit: Here' s the list of off-limits in FL...

790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
· Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
(FWIW...Florida Statute 823.05 defines a place of nuisance as a "place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community...or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated." )
· any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
· any detention facility, prison, or jail;
· any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a
concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
· any polling place;
· any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
· any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
· any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
· any school administration building;
· any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which
portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
· any elementary or secondary school facility;
· any area vocationaltechnical
center;
· any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such
college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal
electric weapon or device designed solely for
defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
· inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from
carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such
firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
· any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

Source:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

-Mike

Last edited:

Whoops, my bad. I was thinking of Georgia:
Firearms may not be carried to any “public gathering,” even by an individual licensed to carry a firearm. Public gatherings include, but are not limited to, athletic events, church functions, political rallies, all publicly owned or operated buildings and all places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

IIRC FL has some kind of limited carry prohibition on bars, places that serve alcohol and the like, whereas MA doesn't really have this at all.

I'm unsure offhand if FL has any binding signage on private property- MA has none at all except when the location is otherwise prohibited by law anyways. Many of the "new states" with shall issue CCW have some form of binding
signage. TX has binding signage, for instance, but the funny thing is a lot of places that post, their signage doesn't comply with the standards set forth in the law (30.06) so it's legally null anyways. [laugh]

Edit: Here' s the list of off-limits in FL...

Source:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

-Mike

FL doesn't have signage, at least what I have seen.

And as far as College and Universities, FL is a step up from Mass which is a 100% "Mother May I".

· any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such
college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal
electric weapon or device designed solely for
defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

I MA you have to have the COP of the College/Uni to carry Mace or Pepper Spray.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom