MA: worst anti-gun state?

sub, don't worry about clubs that require a sponsor. Call up them and talk to them. Chances are if you show up for a meeting and chat with the folks running the club that they'll let you join.

The total number of licenses in MA is somewhere around 250,000. Not sure how many of them are A/ALPs vs FIDs, but given that the requirements these days are nearly identical, the only reason for anyone to get an FID nowadays is if they're under 21, or they're getting OC only. The vast majority of permits issued are probably LTC/A's. . You see some B's here and there too, but they're rare, pretty much the province of b-rammer towns or cases where the applicant is "slow" and checks off the wrong box on the form. (in some towns you literally get what you
ask for.... )

Yes, agreed. That being said I'd still take "probable CCW" over "psuedo free by default" CA gun law. I have little use for a state where there is literally like a 65%+ chance that I won't be able to live in an area with reasonable licensing policies.

Even if CCW wasn't a consideration I still wouldn't live in CA... They ban about 50% of what I own. I've been able to get about 85%+ of the guns I want in MA (and their appropriate magazines) legally. Can't say the same if I moved to CA. I know some folks in MA who would have to sell probably 3/4s of what they own just to move there due to the laws.

A gun owning friend of mine who lives in the bay area is always asking if we're going to go out shooting again when he comes out here the next time.... you know why? Because even in this crappy state, I have a whole bunch of guns he couldn't even legally own, so as a result he never gets to shoot them in CA.

FWIW I'm not saying MA is wonderful, but from what I've seen of CA's laws, its far worse, IMO.

-Mike
I know I come down hard on Ma. In my defense I've been licensed to carry for 34 years in Ma. and irks me no end to see our rights evaporating before my eyes. It was'nt always like this here.After all these years with a permit I still wonder if they will refuse my renewal or down grade my permit to a class B because they can.

Thank you. Several people e-mailed me that web site. It shows a 9% decrease in licenses. I have been thinking about the ability to by 85% of the firearms that an individual wants to own. What about the remaining 15%? It could be that represents 100% of what I would like to own. I still feel it infringes on my rights. I don't want to settle for anything less. It's to easy to give a little and end up with nothing.

Even if CCW wasn't a consideration I still wouldn't live in CA... They ban about 50% of what I own.

+1 And the real pisser is that a large percentage of those guns I couldn't own there are ones I bought there before moving here. CCWs are about the same, except that there are fewer green cities and counties, with all the larger ones being bright red.

Ken

Gun licenses in Massachusetts

disclaimer* don't quote me on the accuracy of the data on that Globe website [hmmm]

Well, this is downright depressing. I wonder what the Globe is hoping to prove with this. The way I see it, the less gun licenses issued only means there are more people owning them illegally now than ever.

Wow, I am one of only 313 LTC ALP in Chelsea.

Ohio is not too bad, but our CCW still needs work. There is action in the House to remove almost all restrictions on CCW in Ohio, and according to my conversation with the bill's sponsor its first committee hearing went very well.

Castle Doctrine comes (coming) to Ohio .....

http://eddiebear.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/the-castle-doctrine-comes-to-ohio/
Sponsored by state Sen. Stephen Buehrer (R., Delta) and pushed by the National Rifle Association, the measure served as a magnet for changes to Ohio’s 4-year-old law allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed handguns.

The changes will make it easier for motorists to carry weapons in their cars and in school zones and will prohibit landlords from forbidding tenants from having guns in their rented residences.
------
The bill would take effect 90 days after [Governer Ted] Strickland signs it.

“He believes the legislation provides law-abiding gun owners with appropriate and reasonable protections, and he’s looking forward to signing the bill,” said Strickland spokesman Keith Dailey.
--------
“A lot of people believe that’s the current law, that you have the ability to protect you and your family in your house,” Mr. Buehrer said. “They are shocked to find out that’s not the case. The general law in Ohio is if you’re attacked, you have a duty to retreat. The courts have recognized that if you’re in your home, you don’t have a duty to retreat, but we’re only one prosecutor or one judge away from losing that right in case law in Ohio.”

Find an FFL who will order a Caspian frame from you. Take it to a gunsmith like Greg Derr and have it built the way you want. You'll get a gun better than a Kimber (and I own 3 Kimbers).

You do understand that not all gunsmiths are alike? and that not all will specialize in 1911? The term "gunsmith" does not mean that its owner is capable of producing a 1911 that will fire sub 2" at 50 yards. To me, that is accuracy. Have had them and they were much more capable of producing what I could not (as a person) match. Thing is, I knew it was me, not the piece...and that is an advantage. No excuses, piece can do it. Can you?

The reason I say this is that not all gunsmiths can produce what I described. If a GS will guarantee that his work will produce those groups at 50 yards, that is the person to go with. I do not take the word "guarantee" lightly and do mean it.

You do understand that not all gunsmiths are alike? and that not all will specialize in 1911? The term "gunsmith" does not mean that its owner is capable of producing a 1911 that will fire sub 2" at 50 yards. To me, that is accuracy. Have had them and they were much more capable of producing what I could not (as a person) match. Thing is, I knew it was me, not the piece...and that is an advantage. No excuses, piece can do it. Can you?

Huh? Where did this come from? Did you bother to read what I wrote? Apparently not. Let's turn on the way back machine and see what I wrote:

Take it to a gunsmith like Greg Derr and have it built the way you want.

And your response was:

You do understand that not all gunsmiths are alike? and that not all will specialize in 1911?

Greg Derr specializes in 1911s. Perhaps that is why I said a "gunsmith like Greg Derr"? Did you realize that Greg was once on the US Olympic team? He knows how to shoot a 1911 and he knows how to build one.

Take your chest-thumping and go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom