• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA: worst anti-gun state?

Make sure that one of your other LTCs (Mass LTCs don't count here) is on this list:
Ohio Attorney General's CCW reciprocity list.

Ohio does not care if you are not a resident of the state that issues your license. But unlike some states that recognize any other CHL, Ohio law requires formal reciprocity and the above is the only official list.

I've got a FL permit and OH has reciprocity with FL.

IA has 99 counties and it works just like Mass, discretionary issue with green and red towns. Maryland is may issue, handled by the state police, and issues with restrictions to nearly everybody who applies.
New York City and Newark are the twin anuses of the nation who terrorize travelers checking firearms through with TSA. If NYC and Newark are the anuses, then DC is the turd below for obvious reasons.
Hawaii is also very restrictive, but the place is paradise so I'll give them a pass.

Massachusetts was a benign tumor, however seemingly it is spreading to southern new Hampshire. Rhode Island is a corrupt f'ing joke, and a bad one at that. I worked construction in Rhode Island in the early 1990's. The stuff I saw with my own two eyes...if it's still like it was, I bet a well placed $1000 will get you a carry permit before you can say RISDIC.

And a salute to Alaska that doesn't require a permit, but will give you one anyway if you want it!

Last edited:
Good grief! Don't give the anti-gun crowd any more ideas toward creating MA into their Nervana. They may have someone reading this Forum to them. While anti-gun crowd finds it difficult to comprehend the subject, they are not above proposing laws to make them "feel good". I find MA laws irritating to the gun owner. Precisely their purpose. If its fun, then ban it. Keep the proletariate agitated.[thinking]

Good grief! Don't give the anti-gun crowd any more ideas toward creating MA into their Nervana. They may have someone reading this Forum to them. While anti-gun crowd finds it difficult to comprehend the subject, they are not above proposing laws to make them "feel good". I find MA laws irritating to the gun owner. Precisely their purpose. If its fun, then ban it. Keep the proletariate agitated.[thinking]

I'm sure that the antis have thought of a whole bunch of these kinds of ideas. Us talking about them is not going to give them any new ones. If you can think of a bad law idea, I'm sure Jarret Barrios (now gone, but he was the anti gun czar), Creem, Linksy, Fargo, etc, have floated it in front of the legislature. Thank god that 95% of their proposals don't make it out of committee. I think most of that is because even in MA the legiscritters have more important issues to deal with most of the time. Ironically I think Uhaul Patrick's flawed debut and high level of friction with the legislature actually benefits us in some small way. One can only hope that the level of hatred between the two entities increases. In MA, a "deadlocked" government is surely "a good thing", to put it mildly.

-Mike

Mass is far from the worst, overall. Far from the best, too.

DC doesn't count, as it's not a state. if it was, it would be the worst on the planet.

Handgun wise, Illinois is the worst, hands down. Rifle wise, it's up with the best. Why? No CCW and no AWB makes it that mixed bag.

Vermont is arguably the best. No CCW required, no AWB. Only thing the Feds allow that the state doesn't is silencers. That's a Fish and Game issue up here. Funny thing is, NVD's (night vision devives) are legal.

Alaska is next. Pretty much the same story as VT. They have optional CCW permits, which I wish VT had. I hold 2 NR CCW permits (NH and UT), so I can carry most places.

The PDRK is the worst rifle wise, PERIOD. Add the iffy CCW standards, and I'd say it's the worst in the country, if you look at the whole thing.

As to Mass and the number of shops, you should check out Texas, specifically El Paso. I lived there 2 years in the late '70's. I went back on a business trip a few years ago, and went looking around. Well, I think I found 1 true gun shop and a couple of local sporting goods shops (same chain) that carried firearms. I'm sure the big box stores that carry them had them, but these days, that's only Wal-Mart and not all of them. Considering the population of El Paso is about the same as the population of VT, and we've got a BUNCH of shops, I'd say it's a sad state of affairs. Think of Mass having only 10 gun shops for the whole state.

Mass is far from the worst, overall. Far from the best, too.

DC doesn't count, as it's not a state. if it was, it would be the worst on the planet.

Handgun wise, Illinois is the worst, hands down. Rifle wise, it's up with the best. Why? No CCW and no AWB makes it that mixed bag.

Vermont is arguably the best. No CCW required, no AWB. Only thing the Feds allow that the state doesn't is silencers. That's a Fish and Game issue up here. Funny thing is, NVD's (night vision devives) are legal.

Alaska is next. Pretty much the same story as VT. They have optional CCW permits, which I wish VT had. I hold 2 NR CCW permits (NH and UT), so I can carry most places.

The PDRK is the worst rifle wise, PERIOD. Add the iffy CCW standards, and I'd say it's the worst in the country, if you look at the whole thing.

As to Mass and the number of shops, you should check out Texas, specifically El Paso. I lived there 2 years in the late '70's. I went back on a business trip a few years ago, and went looking around. Well, I think I found 1 true gun shop and a couple of local sporting goods shops (same chain) that carried firearms. I'm sure the big box stores that carry them had them, but these days, that's only Wal-Mart and not all of them. Considering the population of El Paso is about the same as the population of VT, and we've got a BUNCH of shops, I'd say it's a sad state of affairs. Think of Mass having only 10 gun shops for the whole state.

NY is pretty effing bad too!!

Florida is certainly not overrun with gun stores. We have the typical pawn shops, but for new and (what I would consider) verifiable used....Shoot Straight for central FL is about it. The gun shows bring in others, but I am leery of buying from sources that I can't work with down the road.

Rhode Island sucks in it's own way.
Almost impossible in some towns to get a ccw unless you own a business. On the other hand, easy to buy firearms with just a blue card, and there are a decent amount of ranges.

Depends on whats important to you

but I feel Mass is worst than California
the CCW issuing policy is the same in Mass as it is in Cali, it all depends on where you live in the State that decides if you get to CCW

But Mass lose to Cali because, in Mass you can't even possess inside your home without a permit or FID

the CCW issuing policy is the same in Mass as it is in Cali, it all depends on where you live in the State that decides if you get to CCW

The reality is that you can get an unrestricted LTC in many, many towns in MA. That is not at all true in CA.

MA is clearly no picnic for gun owners. But many, many of us here in MA can legally carry. That is not true in CA.

The reality is that you can get an unrestricted LTC in many, many towns in MA..
I never said or believed otherwise

That is not at all true in CA..
Thats incorrect, unless you believe Los Angeles and San Francisco area represents the whole state

But many, many of us here in MA can legally carry. That is not true in CA.
Incorrect again, unless you believe SF and LA represents California in whole.

I think that everyone from Massachusetts who posts in this thread bitching about our draconian gun laws should join GOAL, or, if already a member, make a donation to support the organization's lobbying effort.

GOAL's web site is www.goal.org, and the phone number is (508) 393-5333.

Try buying a Colt or an HK when you are feeling blessed to lin in Ma.

That is something to reasonably consider but what's the point of owning a Colt or an HK if you can't carry it CCW, like in California (except in places like Placerville or Oroville or maybe Hesperia) or Illinois? Also Colt and HK could market there products here just like S&W and Sig but that would mean special models and a testing procedure...it just isn't profitable enough for them.

From my perspective although certainly not the best state, MA is ahead of Illinois, California (except in some counties) and New Jersey (no hollow point ammo there plus unduly difficult licensure laws to deal with) While it is true that California does not require a permit to purchase a firearm, there is ten day waiting period (at least there was when I lived there).

The things that make MA bad: 1. arbitrary nature of licensure, there are 351 towns and cities in the Commonwealth, hence 351 different gun laws 2. Unreasonable storage requirements; leave your pistol out on a nightstand and you are in violation of the law, can't keep a loaded pistol in the glove compartment of your auto (or an unloaded one for that matter). This is totally ridiculous. 3 The two lists of firearms you can't buy here 4. The hi-cap magazine ban (Thank you for sticking up for gun owners ex-Governor Romney)

As has been so eloquently stated previously the best thing is that if you have an unrestricted LTC A you can carry just about anywhere...try going into any place that serves alcohol (even a restaurant) in Arizona with an Arizona LTC...the way I figure it, somebody up on Beacon Hill will figure that one out someday and put a whole bunch of restrictions on us most probably soorner than later.

The Patrick adminstration is in learning mode now...once Cadillac Duval gets his stride and reaches some accord with his fellow Dems in the General Court (legislature for you non Commonwealth residents) I figure he'll hit us with some serious s**T once he figures out how to do it. If you are not a GOAL member please consider joining because while it might not be perfect (no organization is), it's the best we've got and it does hard and serious work for the RTKBA. It needs your support to continue the fight.

The gun I wish I could get and can't because of former Attorney General Riley: A Kimber Desert Warrior 1911A1...and I'd sure like to try a Ruger SR9 but even if Ruger does decide to market it here, who would want a 10lb trigger pull and a ten round magazine for what is a high capacity (17 +1) wonder-nine?

Mark L.

Last edited:
That is something to reasonably consider but what's the point of owning a Colt or an HK if you can't carry it CCW, like in California (except in places like Placerville or Oroville or maybe Hesperia) or Illinois? Also Colt and HK could market there products here just like S&W and Sig but that would mean special models and a testing procedure...it just isn't profitable enough for them.

From my perspective although certainly not the best state, MA is ahead of Illinois, California (except in some counties) and New Jersey (no hollow point ammo there plus unduly difficult licensure laws to deal with) While it is true that California does not require a permit to purchase a firearm, there is ten day waiting period (at least there was when I lived there).

The things that make MA bad: 1. arbitrary nature of licensure, there are 351 towns and cities in the Commonwealth, hence 351 different gun laws 2. Unreasonable storage requirements; leave your pistol out on a nightstand and you are in violation of the law, can't keep a loaded pistol in the glove compartment of your auto (or an unloaded one for that matter). This is totally ridiculous. 3 The two lists of firearms you can't buy here 4. The hi-cap magazine ban (Thank you for sticking up for gun owners ex-Governor Romney)

As has been so eloquently stated previously the best thing is that if you have an unrestricted LTC A you can carry just about anywhere...try going into any place that serves alcohol (even a restaurant) in Arizona with an Arizona LTC...the way I figure it, somebody up on Beacon Hill will figure that one out someday and put a whole bunch of restrictions on us most probably soorner than later.

The Patrick adminstration is in learning mode now...once Cadillac Duval gets his stride and reaches some accord with his fellow Dems in the General Court (legislature for you non Commonwealth residents) I figure he'll hit us with some serious s**T once he figures out how to do it. If you are not a GOAL member please consider joining because while it might not be perfect (no organization is), it's the best we've got and it does hard and serious work for the RTKBA. It needs your support to continue the fight.

The gun I wish I could get and can't because of former Attorney General Riley: A Kimber Desert Warrior 1911A1...and I'd sure like to try a Ruger SR9 but even if Ruger does decide to market it here, who would want a 10lb trigger pull and a ten round magazine for what is a high capacity (17 +1) wonder-nine?

Mark L.
As a former MI myself, my original point was that any restriction is to much restriction. In Ma it is widely frown upon by many issuing authorities to be carrying while enjoying a cold one at a bar. As for Kimber have you called them and asked them why their gun are not Ma approved? I did. I also called Colt, Kahr and Dan Wesson. If everyone on this forum called maybe they would get the message.
Veritas, Vigilantia, Victoria

In Ma it is widely frown upon by many issuing authorities to be carrying while enjoying a cold one at a bar.
#1: There is a HUGE difference between something being "frowned upon" and being illegal. It is the difference between the possibility of being determined "unsuitable" and criminal prosecution in addition to the loss of license. I personally frown upon carry and drinking, but I like to be able to legally walk through a bar in a restaurant to get to the rest room if I am out for dinner and not drinking.

#2: Many states with alcohol bans ban any place that sells alcohol by the drink, even if you are not consuming. A ruling in VA, for example, establishes that the entire food court of a shopping mall is a CCW invalid zone if any of the establishments sell beer for consumption in that area.

As to Kimber and many others - most of those companies know about the MA procedures but have made a business decision that the size of the market is not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
#1: There is a HUGE difference between something being "frowned upon" and being illegal. It is the difference between the possibility of being determined "unsuitable" and criminal prosecution in addition to the loss of license. I personally frown upon carry and drinking, but I like to be able to legally walk through a bar in a restaurant to get to the rest room if I am out for dinner and not drinking.

#2: Many states with alcohol bans ban any place that sells alcohol by the drink, even if you are not consuming. A ruling in VA, for example, establishes that the entire food court of a shopping mall is a CCW invalid zone if any of the establishments sell beer for consumption in that area.

As to Kimber and many others - most of those companies know about the MA procedures but have made a business decision that the size of the market is not worth the hassle.
When "frowned upon" is the operative word Massachusetts by the issuing authority you can kiss your LTC good by. Many a good person have lost their permits for less than having a cooktail while armed.
IMHO S&W is allowed certian liberties in the Commonwealth becuase it is one of the largest employers in the Springfield area. How would it look to voters if they packed up all 800 employees and moved to Vermont.
In the beginning Kimbers were cast and machined by S&W but they can't be sold here. Go figure.

IMNSHO arguing about which state has the worse gun laws is like a group of prostitutes arguing about who has the best pimp: They're all bad. [grin]

Depends on whats important to you

but I feel Mass is worst than California

MA has more CCW capable licensees (A/ALP holders) than CA has
CCW holders -at all- (According to Jim March, the number was like
38K a few years ago) I'm pretty sure MA is easily double
or triple that, if not more. That's pretty appalling on it's face, considering
that MA is probably a tenth of the size of CA in land
and population. (maybe smaller, even.)

-Roberti Roos AWB = worst in country.
-Worse large-cap mag ban
-DROS/waiting period poop for handguns
-CA has "microstamping" and other bullshit coming down the pipe
WRT handguns.

-Guns are generally more expensive there. (at least in a 2 hour radius of
the bay area). A friend of mine confirmed this... he was hunting for a particular
rifle, which I could get at $100+ lower price than he could, at least at the
time.

No thanks, I'll take a pass. MA sucks but CA is far, far
worse. Anyone who knows the score in both states knows
this.

-Mike

The gun I wish I could get and can't because of former Attorney General Riley: A Kimber Desert Warrior 1911A1.
Find an FFL who will order a Caspian frame from you. Take it to a gunsmith like Greg Derr and have it built the way you want. You'll get a gun better than a Kimber (and I own 3 Kimbers).

CCW

In Mass you dont have to worry about "PRESENTING" if your gun is seen by a spectator.and you cant enter a store that has sign banning pistols.but you can "throw" your pistol in glove compartment without license.You dont need license to own or buy.you figure the thinking.
I was in san frico area a few yrs and the prices were way higher than Mass.there high here to.Hi-points are common here.$179 for $139 pistol.but I can shoot out my front door and nail a deer last fall ,an 2 my son got.[smile]

MA has more CCW capable licensees (A/ALP holders) than CA has
CCW holders -at all- (According to Jim March, the number was like
38K a few years ago) I'm pretty sure MA is easily double
or triple that, if not more. That's pretty appalling on it's face, considering
that MA is probably a tenth of the size of CA in land
and population. (maybe smaller, even.)

-Roberti Roos AWB = worst in country.
-Worse large-cap mag ban
-DROS/waiting period poop for handguns
-CA has "microstamping" and other bullshit coming down the pipe
WRT handguns.

-Guns are generally more expensive there. (at least in a 2 hour radius of
the bay area). A friend of mine confirmed this... he was hunting for a particular
rifle, which I could get at $100+ lower price than he could, at least at the
time.

No thanks, I'll take a pass. MA sucks but CA is far, far
worse. Anyone who knows the score in both states knows
this.

-Mike
Are we talking about just ccw's because in Mass. you need a ccw to have mace or to own a rifle or shotgun? I would be interested to know the number of just the ALP LTC's. In most states you don't need a permit for mace and you can purchase a long gun or pistol with a drivers license.

Rhode Island sucks in it's own way.
Almost impossible in some towns to get a ccw unless you own a business. On the other hand, easy to buy firearms with just a blue card, and there are a decent amount of ranges.
Care to enlighten on the ranges? I shoot at the DEM range at the Great Swamp. I have been hard pressed to find an indoor range open to the public. I've found private shooting clubs but they either have a waiting list, require a sponsor, or rules/restrictions are a little too draconian for my tastes.

Are we talking about just ccw's because in Mass. you need a ccw to have mace or to own a rifle or shotgun? I would be interested to know the number of just the ALP LTC's.

The total number of licenses in MA is somewhere around 250,000. Not sure how many of them are A/ALPs vs FIDs, but given that the requirements these days are nearly identical, the only reason for anyone to get an FID nowadays is if they're under 21, or they're getting OC only. The vast majority of permits issued are probably LTC/A's. . You see some B's here and there too, but they're rare, pretty much the province of b-rammer towns or cases where the applicant is "slow" and checks off the wrong box on the form. (in some towns you literally get what you
ask for.... )

In most states you don't need a permit for mace and you can purchase a long gun or pistol with a drivers license.

Yes, agreed. That being said I'd still take "probable CCW" over "psuedo free by default" CA gun law. I have little use for a state where there is literally like a 65%+ chance that I won't be able to live in an area with reasonable licensing policies.

Even if CCW wasn't a consideration I still wouldn't live in CA... They ban about 50% of what I own. I've been able to get about 85%+ of the guns I want in MA (and their appropriate magazines) legally. Can't say the same if I moved to CA. I know some folks in MA who would have to sell probably 3/4s of what they own just to move there due to the laws.

A gun owning friend of mine who lives in the bay area is always asking if we're going to go out shooting again when he comes out here the next time.... you know why? Because even in this crappy state, I have a whole bunch of guns he couldn't even legally own, so as a result he never gets to shoot them in CA.

FWIW I'm not saying MA is wonderful, but from what I've seen of CA's laws, its far worse, IMO.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom