• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA State Police Investigating Pay For Unworked Shifts

CCW

I just hope that these heroes made it home safely at the end of these shifts- that they were paid for but never worked. Of course the "Good Guys" who are sworn to protect and serve knowingly accepted the money they were not entitled to and this only came to light after an audit. They call that stealing where I come from. More "Good Cops" in action?

Mass. State Police Investigating Pay For Unworked Patrol Shifts

Been happening since I was a kid - I remember a friend of my folks that used to mention it from time to time in passing - but he was ‘our’ friend so it’s okay.

No, it isn’t.

it's easy do to. Talk to someone who has signed off on the hours spent at a detail. 2hrs become 4 etc.. No police should be at a work site on the side of road etc.. its a waste of time and money. Save money
flaggersweb6.jpg

I do know that orders have gone out to the MA Pike troop near the end of a fiscal year "We have money left in the budget, put out more details and patrols to spend it down".
Disband the state police. Do we really need this agency and the huge costs associated with them?! I think not.
If they are disbanded, who do you call to bring in a higher level of technical expertise if a small town has a crime beyond the investigatory capability of the local yokels?

Disband the state police. Do we really need this agency and the huge costs associated with them?! I think not.

No we don't need them. We don't even need half the town cops most towns have.

State police have one of the most powerful unions in the state. Its a joke. Nothing will ever change with them.

I do know that orders have gone out to the MA Pike troop near the end of a fiscal year "We have money left in the budget, put out more details and patrols to spend it down".

If they are disbanded, who do you call to bring in a higher level of technical expertise if a small town has a crime beyond the investigatory capability of the local yokels?

You can keep the state medical examiners....they probably aren't the ones sitting in their cruiser doing details to the tune of 200K a year.

I have to laugh every time I see a uniformed Statey in their cruiser shooting obviously private guns at the gun range. I'd wager most of them were on the clock.

No we don't need them. We don't even need half the town cops most towns have.

State police have one of the most powerful unions in the state. Its a joke. Nothing will ever change with them.

I second this. Too many leaches in the system, taxpayers cant keep up with the ridiculous amount of money needed for all these programs and depts.

Even further, who do you call in the towns that don't have full time local police?

If you look at the coverage area for the MSP B-5 barracks in Russell, I can only think of 2 towns that have 24/7 local coverage.

lol, thieving cops, not a disqualifier to carry FA guns though.

As far as whom to call ... have anyone tried to call those lazy bastards when you needed to? They'll bump you to any local cops who'd take the case. Disban the buggers.

lol, thieving cops, not a disqualifier to carry FA guns though.

As far as whom to call ... have anyone tried to call those lazy bastards when you needed to? They'll bump you to any local cops who'd take the case. Disban the buggers.

Had one stop and hit on my girlfriend when she had broken down on the side of 495 once. Of course he didn't do anything remotely helpful. Thankfully AAA responded quickly.

Oh Good! The State Police are investigating the State Police. [thinking]

Will we have an investigation of the shifts not worked by the investigators investigating shifts that weren't worked?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Details have a 4hr minimum by contract
You left out prevailing wages. That removed any possible savings. I'm also calling BS to anyone who says Mass is the only state that has details.

The troopers who have been caught falsifying their hours worked need to be fired and charged and lose their pensions. Screw the union protections.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but this also allows someone to work several shorter details and be paid the total of the number of details x 4 hours. E.g. work 4 x 90 minute details and be paid for 16 hours.
Exactly. Same thing for court time. A cop delivers a piece of paper or comes by to check on status of their case and it takes them 5 minutes. Boom 4 hours. That's what they've bargained for, so they get it.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but this also allows someone to work several shorter details and be paid the total of the number of details x 4 hours. E.g. work 4 x 90 minute details and be paid for 16 hours.
When I worked as a lineman, we had a similar contract. Get called out for a line down, etc.; it was a 4hr minimum for pay. Before that, as a meter troubleman, you'd get 1hr OT per call; so you could get 4 calls within an hour and get 4hrs OT, based on the number of calls. All in the contract.

Back
Top Bottom