MA State Police Investigating Pay For Unworked Shifts

I was once eating at a burrito place in Little Rock, Arkansas. Two of not just the fattest cops I've ever seen, but fattest humans I've ever seen came waddling in. They both had to do that little side step shuffle to fit through the door way. There is no chance they could ever catch anyone. It reminded me of this scene from the amazing movie 'In Bruges'.

Except they were even fatter.

I think I have been to the same burrito/convince store. The last time I was there, there was 4 cruisers in the parking lot. Good cheap burritos.

They caught 2 people that stole almost $1 million from the VA hospital in Bedford, no charges filed and one still works there! The person did get demoted one pay grade.

Probe: VA Hospital employees took $200G to buy equipment for family business, ordered $750G more

The headline is a little incorrect.
The VA employee, on behalf of the VA, purchased supplies from a company owned by his son. He also ordered additional supplies, and there is a claim that there was no process in place to verify delivery. Finally, the employee lied about having a VA lawyer advice that this was ok.

I think this is terrible and certainly grounds for dismissal. But I don't think this is actually against the law. He certainly violated policies, the lawyer thing makes it clear he knew he couldn't buy from a relative without approval, but he didn't (as the headline suggested) divert money or equipment to himself. To prove that they would need to show that what he purchased cost significantly more than if he went to another supplier. The article doesn't touch on this, so it's possible he even saved them money. If that was the case, then a slap on the rist for violating policy would seem appropriate.

Bottom line. The headline is wrong, and key information to reach a conclusion is missing. But hey, the media is about ratings not truth.

Those of you who don't want cops, come ride with me. I went down a street yesterday in New Orleans, 10AM, not a person walking on the street. There was one SUV, the driver was talking to a guy in his 20's on a bike, I'm not quite sure what they were doing? It was something out of a movie, but it wasn't. I didn't see a local LEO the whole time I was driving around. I was regretting not wearing my armor for a minute or two. NOPD is down something like 800 cops, they refuse to publish 'clean' numbers, but there are whole swaths of the city unpatrolled, and the people are afraid to be outside.

There's an old saying about babies and bathwater.

Those of you who don't want cops, come ride with me. I went down a street yesterday in New Orleans, 10AM, not a person walking on the street. There was one SUV, the driver was talking to a guy in his 20's on a bike, I'm not quite sure what they were doing? It was something out of a movie, but it wasn't. I didn't see a local LEO the whole time I was driving around. I was regretting not wearing my armor for a minute or two. NOPD is down something like 800 cops, they refuse to publish 'clean' numbers, but there are whole swaths of the city unpatrolled, and the people are afraid to be outside.

There's an old saying about babies and bathwater.

What's your point? MSP is basically highway patrol (revenue collection agents) with some specialized units mixed in.

And NOPD as in the same department that had half a dozen officers convicted for shooting civilians during Katrina, and is rife with corruption due to cover ups etc. We don't want cops that abuse their power, their authority, and steal tax payer dollars.

Having a good laugh from you keyboard tough guy. I doubt all State Police I doing this wrong practice. But if you had a chance to do ot and details to double your salaries you would too. I know we all think it’s a easy job, but how you’d you like to pull a kid from a car wreck then have to tell his or her parents that there dead or deal with shit bags no thanks I say fire these bums , but don’t blame the all

Having a good laugh from you keyboard tough guy. I doubt all State Police I doing this wrong practice. But if you had a chance to do ot and details to double your salaries you would too. I know we all think it’s a easy job, but how you’d you like to pull a kid from a car wreck then have to tell his or her parents that there dead or deal with shit bags no thanks I say fire these bums , but don’t blame the all

So stealing is okay if the job is perceived to be hard?

Having a good laugh from you keyboard tough guy. I doubt all State Police I doing this wrong practice. But if you had a chance to do ot and details to double your salaries you would too.

reminds me of a survey in Russia, people were asked if they were the politicians, would they take the chance to steal?

Yet they volunteered to do the job. Pulling kids out of wrecked cars and dealing with scumbags IS the job. They don’t like it, quit and do something else. Their job won’t be vacant for long.

No excuse for stealing from tax payers. Again, they don’t like the job, quit and do something else.

I know we all think it’s a easy job, but how you’d you like to pull a kid from a car wreck then have to tell his or her parents that there dead or deal with shit bags no thanks
I hear this argument a lot. Let's be honest, if you don't like the terms of the job, then don't accept. There are other professions that have to deal with harsh emotional situations and shit bags. I'm not going to say that policing is easy, but the financial and legal perks are nice given the scope of duties.

Easy solution to a made up issue. Don't apply to be a Trooper. MSP has been in the news plenty the last 6 months or so with scandals. Safe to say at this point they have issues.

"retired before facing a duty status hearing"

This needs to end.

#Unions... sickening

I wouldn't but grow the f up if you think that justifies them to get paid 4/5 times what NH troopers make with ot. Msp is a corrupt pos

MSP needs to be disbanded. Most of what they do could be absorbed by the local PD’s if the funding was re-directed. Patrol officers can apply for jobs with local PD who will need more.

Some aspects of what they do (i.e. crime lab) that can’t could be given to a new, much smaller replacement agency under new leadership. Folks can re-apply for their jobs there. No pensions, 401k. No overtime, fixed salary. No union. No details.

Two things:

I hope that at the very least, these hours not worked are removed from their benefits calculations.

It appears that the shifts that were not worked didn't have any impact on public safety. We should eliminate these (and probably more) shifts since they are not doing (the general public) any good.

If they are proven to have done wrong they should absolutely face full consequences. Ok now that that is out of the way there is so much made up bs on this thread about public pensions in MA, earnings, 401ks for public employees. But the actual facts to any of these do not matter to you if they do not support your agenda.

Ie: ot factored into pension, 80% disabilities, 401ks, salarys in ma vs nh, etc. You all sound liberals arguing against guns with your bending of facts and made up bs. At least argue with some correct information instead of made up bs.

Meh. Its so solidly par for the course in this state I just don't have the bandwidth to worry about it anymore. Its overwhelmingly obvious that the voters in this state do not care about corruption, at all, so nothing is going to change.

MSP needs to be disbanded. Most of what they do could be absorbed by the local PD’s if the funding was re-directed. Patrol officers can apply for jobs with local PD who will need more.

Some aspects of what they do (i.e. crime lab) that can’t could be given to a new, much smaller replacement agency under new leadership. Folks can re-apply for their jobs there. No pensions, 401k. No overtime, fixed salary. No union. No details.

Who remembers when there was the Capitol Police, RMV police and the MDC police? Talk about corrupt, the MDC was like going to heaven. Well, they all were absorbed into the MSP in 1992.
He blew the whistle on MDC corruption

Howie has it right:
Carr: Time to close curtain on staties’ bad actors

Ie: ot factored into pension, 80% disabilities, 401ks, salarys in ma vs nh, etc. You all sound liberals arguing against guns with your bending of facts and made up bs. At least argue with some correct information instead of made up bs.

Well a bunch of them just called it a day and retired to keep their retirement benefits pending criminal charges. Which if I were a betting man will never happen. And it has proven they were in the wrong, they were basically running a ring to defraud the state for OT/detail pay, which in it of themselves shouldn't exist in the first place.

They are a bloated department like most of .gov that is rife with corruption, I don't even feel like that is debatable at this point.

State Comptroller Says Failure To Report Trooper Pay Was 'Wrong' And 'Deliberate'

This is in addition to the OT

The Massachusetts State Police announced Wednesday that it will now directly pay its troopers assigned to patrol Boston's Logan Airport and other Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) properties.

That's after a Boston Globe report found that officials did not properly disclose payroll records for the 140-trooper division known as Troop F, whose territory covers the airport and parts of the Seaport. Nearly 80 percent of the troop earned more than $150,000 last year, with troopers reporting many hours of overtime.

Back
Top Bottom