MA State Police Investigating Pay For Unworked Shifts

Exactly. Same thing for court time. A cop delivers a piece of paper or comes by to check on status of their case and it takes them 5 minutes. Boom 4 hours. That's what they've bargained for, so they get it.

Yup, I knew a cop in the late 80s that was a few years from mandatory retirement. He would work nights so any court time was OT and was given multiple short details that paid 4 hours, all to pump up his pension (based on his last years earnings). Funny, I can't remember his name but I remember where he used to park for his late night naps.

Yup, I knew a cop in the late 80s that was a few years from mandatory retirement. He would work nights so any court time was OT and was given multiple short details that paid 4 hours, all to pump up his pension (based on his last years earnings). Funny, I can't remember his name but I remember where he used to park for his late night naps.
That’s unusual. I was under the impression that details and OT didn’t count towards their pensions.

On the FD I got a 2 hour minimum for a call however if we had several back to back calls we did not get 2/call.
Something similar for me. 2.5 hrs per call regardless if it takes 2.5 hrs or 5 minutes. However a second call during that 2.5 hours doesnt get you an additional 2.5 hours of pay. So 1st call at 8pm, youre done at 8:05, you get paid 2.5 hours. If the second call comes at 8:15 and youre done at 10:29, you still only get that 2.5 hours pay even if you got 1 or 2 or 5 calls in that 2.5 hour time period. If the second call comes in at 10:31, then its another 2.5 hours of pay.

I do know that orders have gone out to the MA Pike troop near the end of a fiscal year "We have money left in the budget, put out more details and patrols to spend it down".

If they are disbanded, who do you call to bring in a higher level of technical expertise if a small town has a crime beyond the investigatory capability of the local yokels?

Sheriff's department.

That’s unusual. I was under the impression that details and OT didn’t count towards their pensions.

I was told that it was to bump up the pension because that was determined based on how much the earned their last X number of years (I thought it was 3 but it was a long time ago). I did not verify this. It could also just be a local thing.

I called MSP about 15 years ago. I hit a deer. Car was 1/2 in the lane, half in breakdown. Night time. They told me to walk to the next exit to the Bedford MA PD. I wanted a police report, it was totaled. I said FU, called AAA, they were there in 20 minutes.

My post in the discussion section of the article:

So the cops will investigate the cops and determine that the cops followed procedure (even though they didn't) and that the cops broke no laws (even though they did) and that there is nothing illegal going on (even though there was) and that we should all just move along and be thankful that the MA State Troopers are there to protect and serve and uphold the law (even though the USSC says "S & P" isn't required) because the law-enforcing (MA State) Police are the only thing standing between us serfs, errr citizens and total anarchy. Oh, wait, I'm sorry... The MA AG and her elite investigators will be the ones investigating the cops to make sure that the cops didn't break any laws, and when she determines that they didn't all will be well again and their (the cop's) integrity and valor will be validated and verified and remain untarnished and a shining example for all to see and appreciate. Yup, THAT'S what's gonna happen, I can just see it now... Or... Theft>firing>unemployment. Just like what would happen to ANY of us if we falsified time/work records.

I have to laugh every time I see a uniformed Statey in their cruiser shooting obviously private guns at the gun range. I'd wager most of them were on the clock.

My neighbor was a statie....retired at 57, collecting over 80k a year, plus bennies. Payout of 30 grand in unused sick time when he retired.

Written into their contract is 1 hour a day for Physical training or other training. Yes they are on the clock if running or shooting. So if they work and a hour day, 1 hour for lunch, 1 hour for PT, and the day starts the moment they get in their cruiser. Pretty easy to do over time when only 4-5 hours of the day is actual work. 4 hour minimums for everything, details, court.....etc.

Pension is based on the last 3 highest years....I do not think it includes OT, my neighbor would just keep taking the test for higher ranks to get more $$$ in retirement. They all claim heart issues because of the job and get 80%.

Last edited:
Never saw stuff like that until the MDC merger. Then all the physical standards were tossed. Before that there was a 6' minimum height. Actual fitness standards too.
Very true. Up until that point if a Trooper wasn't a Marine, he sure looked like one in uniform . . . very sharp and in excellent shape.

And the entire MA. legislature .
It would put a crimp in the patronage hack hires.

Ahhh true. Someone's FF nephew can't be excluded even if he couldn't win a foot pursuit with his grandmother.

funny-pictures-fat-police-officer.jpg

I was once eating at a burrito place in Little Rock, Arkansas. Two of not just the fattest cops I've ever seen, but fattest humans I've ever seen came waddling in. They both had to do that little side step shuffle to fit through the door way. There is no chance they could ever catch anyone. It reminded me of this scene from the amazing movie 'In Bruges'.

Except they were even fatter.

If they are disbanded, who do you call to bring in a higher level of technical expertise if a small town has a crime beyond the investigatory capability of the local yokels?
Hospitals are privately affiliated with others. You don't think LE agencies could do the same?

I was once eating at a burrito place in Little Rock, Arkansas. Two of not just the fattest cops I've ever seen, but fattest humans I've ever seen came waddling in. They both had to do that little side step shuffle to fit through the door way. There is no chance they could ever catch anyone. It reminded me of this scene from the amazing movie 'In Bruges'.

How do these guys keep a straight face?

is that grand-theft or grand-fraud? They are still more qualified to carry and use "full auto military style" shit than peasants in this state.

Baker will allow them all to retire with full bennys. you just can not win in this state . they do what they want when they want where they want. you wonder why no one trust anybody anymore. king George would be proud .

Hysterical! I've never seen that before.

Back
Top Bottom