MA sees more than 700,000 gun license applications in a decade

THE MILFORD DAILY NEWS

By Alison Bosma
[email protected]
By Jeannette Hinkle
[email protected]
Posted at 6:18 PMUpdated at 6:33 PM

Anyone interested in having a license fills out an application, takes a safety course, pays the $100 fee, and meets with the licensing officer. Police take the person’s photo and fingerprints, then do a series of background checks – in-state and nationwide – including with the Department of Mental Health to see if the person has been committed. Fingerprints head to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

When Jamey Manning took up competitive pistol shooting, it brought him the same joy he had felt with other sports most of his life.
“I love to shoot. I take it as sort of a one-on-one challenge,” said Manning, who is president of the Southborough Rod and Gun Club, but was careful to point out that he speaks only as a gun owner, and not on behalf of the club. “I like the competition, I like the challenge of target shooting. It’s no different than other sports, I think.”

Massachusetts is home to some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country, but the desire to have the legal permission to possess or use a firearm remains high.

Between 2008 and 2018, more than 700,000 people applied for gun licenses statewide. Tens of thousands of people applied each year, and, despite a couple dips, the number of applications has grown overall.

“There’s a collectors’ aspect to firearms as well,” Manning said, noting collectors rarely shoot their guns, which can be custom-made and therefore unique, or have historical significance. “It’s like owning a piece of art.”

Like many gun owners, Manning also hunts, and he pointed out the value of a firearm for personal protection.

Back in the sporting world of shooting, Manning said, there are plenty of different disciplines, with leagues and regional competitions for all levels of skill. Despite the dramatic gender divide in who applies for licenses – over our 10-year period of data, 147,196 women applied for licenses, compared to 580,213 men – gender doesn’t really give anyone an edge, Manning said.

“Shooting (isn’t) necessarily a sport of strength, it’s more a sport of accuracy - obviously - skill level, determination,” Manning said. Though high-level professionals – such as Olympic athletes – compete based on gender, he added that, locally, “It’s pretty much an equal sport where everyone competes together.”

But to be part of that world, particularly in Massachusetts, is difficult, time-consuming and expensive.

“The gun laws here are quite a problem,” said James Wallace, executive director of the statewide Gun Owners Action League. “Massachusetts has a very immature attitude toward firearms.”
In addition to being restrictive, he said, the laws are also incredibly complicated. The Gun Owners Action League holds a three- to four-hour course on Massachusetts law, he said, and that barely covers the basics.

“I think people who don’t like firearms think that they’re dirty, nasty things, and all they’re meant to do is kill people,” Manning said. “The people I see are some of the nicest people in the world and enjoy their firearms sport, whatever aspect they’re involved in it, quite a bit.”

Local police departments are the gatekeepers of who can hold a firearms license, but they abide by state and federal rules.

“I think, in comparison to other states, I think it’s a lot tougher to get a firearm license in Massachusetts than in, say, some of the southern states,” said police Sgt. Richard Oldroyd, Marlborough’s firearms licensing officer.

Anyone interested in having a license fills out an application, takes a safety course, pays the $100 fee, and meets with the licensing officer. Police take the person’s photo and fingerprints, then do a series of background checks – in-state and nationwide – including with the Department of Mental Health to see if the person has been committed. Fingerprints head to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Violent convictions are disqualifying, and a few misdemeanors, such as driving under the influence, are as well. Police also look at what they know of the person locally for anything worrying, such as being the subject of multiple police calls over the years, or threats of suicide.

Then, it can come down to a judgment call. Some departments will offer applicants a conditional license first, such as one restricted to hunting and target shooting.
By the end of it all, a prospective gun owner can wait as long as two months for all the paperwork to go through, and spend hundreds of dollars without yet dropping a penny on the gun.
“Massachusetts is, if not the (most restrictive), one of the most restrictive gun licensing (entities) in the country,” Franklin police Sgt. Brian Johnson said.

Some anti-gun violence activists worry about the lack of waiting periods between getting a license and buying a gun, Johnson said, but that doesn’t take into account the several weeks it can take to get the license in the first place.

“They think somehow that makes Massachusetts less stringent,” he said. “When in reality, we’ve already made you wait. You already waited, why wait again?”

John Rosenthal, co-owner of Stop Handgun Violence, said Massachusetts’ gun laws have saved lives, and could save more nationwide if other states followed suit.
“No, it’s not restrictive,” said Rosenthal, who noted he is a gun owner himself. “All we do with guns, is we treat them like automobiles, which are also inherently dangerous products.”

Regulating gun manufacturers, like Springfield-based Smith & Wesson, would be a good next step for Massachusetts, he said.
Wallace said tough regulations hurt the image of gun owners, largely because most people who don’t have a license are unlikely to see a firearm or know if they are meeting someone who has a license.

Several gun owners that the Daily News reached out to for this story declined comment, with some citing a stigma against people who own and use firearms. Gun owners said they were concerned about backlash for being associated with their guns.
“It’s had its effect, because they haven’t seen us in 40 years, so when they see a gun, they panic,” Wallace said, of the general public in Massachusetts. “It’s because they don’t know who we are.”

Once a licensed individual gets to the store, guns themselves can cost as much as tens of thousands of dollars. That’s if the gun you want to buy is allowed in the state, Manning pointed out.
“There are some in the pistol, target shooting world that I cannot buy in the state,” he said. “Think of the nicest car you’d like to buy, maybe a Porsche, something like that. It’s kind of similar. The state says, ’Well, you can’t buy that Porsche because it ... goes too fast. But you want to buy it because it’s the best-made car.”

Despite the long application process, local police department licensing officers say they generally approve an application if all the paperwork and background checks go smoothly. In the Milford and MetroWest area, rejection rates for firearms license applications are low, under 3%.

“As a general rule for Franklin, we follow the constitutional guidelines, which is if there’s no statutory disqualifier (and no concerns locally), we will issue a license,” Johnson said. “It’s their constitutional right to have one.”

Anyone whose application is rejected can also appeal the decision to the state. Locally, police say the process is tough, but strikes a good balance between Second Amendment rights and the public’s safety.

“The process is fair,” Johnson said. “It’s got the checks and balances in it, and allows people that, without a reason not to give a license, to get one without jumping through a lot of hoops.”
Some local police departments are trying to make the process less difficult. Several allow people to fill out an application online, then request an appointment with the licensing officer.
In Franklin, the in-station part can take as little as 10 minutes if it’s just a renewal. First-time applicants typically spend more time in the station across the board, in part because they need to be fingerprinted.

Franklin is looking at allowing people to pay online, as well.
Alison Bosma can be reached at 508-634-7582 or [email protected]. Find her on Twitter at @AlisonBosma.

Between 2008 and 2018, more than 700,000 people applied for gun licenses statewide
Based on a 6 year renewal cycle, one per could account for up to three, and a minimum of two (if they were licensed for the duration) applications. I doubt they factored this into their number.

Yes, it's called journalism. Your opinion is only one of many. Sorry.
No, when you're dealing with the liberal biased media, they will make sure that their machine's ultimate agenda is fulfilled. I'm surprised that Rep. arsehole from the MetroWest wasn't invited to put his two cents in to further drown Jim Wallace's comments out.

Warms my heart. 20 years ago an LTC applicant was considered a loon or walter mitty type by some chiefs of police ...unless he was a guard.....

Yes, it's called journalism. Your opinion is only one of many. Sorry.
There are facts and opinions. Decent journalists make good faith efforts to get the facts correct. Given the need to obtain a new one every six years, the total of applicants over a decade will be substantially larger than the number of people applying. That is not a subject of opinion, but rather one of fact. The 700k people figure was not a quote by Roshenthal, but reported by the journalist as fact.

I follow the constitution, but...
We have the toughest laws to obtain a firearm in the whole country.
We make it very difficult to exercise a constitutional right and we are proud of that..
I appreciate you breaking our laws on how long it takes to get said permission slip.
The four to six month wait is exactly what infringed was exempt from..45 days..LOL, NOT!
Never mind the hoops and other illegal things some towns pull. Like the ones that flat out refuse to issue a carry permit until they have exhausted the applicant!
But hey, a couple more well written misdafelonies by our state law makers and you won't have to issue them anymore..
It's not a right, unless you have to pay for it! LOL
Poor popo, maybe if we exempt you from a few more laws the serfs are harassed with..
Oh, that's right your special and we are not...
I guess the bill of rights only applies to LEO.

I'm a gun owner, but...
If you take away the poor's firearms, it will stop crime and genocide...
I'm part of America's elite, I deserve this right and no one else is worthy because my life is worth more than everyone else's...Because I'm rich and you are NOT!
I'm smarter than those stupid serfs! So what does it matter if I tell the truth or use facts. They are too dumb to refute me!
I will have them kiss my ass as I strip them of their birth rights and they will praise me for saving them from themselves!
Fu_K you Rosenthal, you are a disgrace to your heritage!
You have forgotten what they did to your people in WWII already..You egotistical fool!

PS. The elites are going to stay in college or be exempt while your poor ass is being drafted to fight in a war you had no say in!

The last kick in the balls to our constitutionally protected rights are our very own state court system and the United States Supreme Court!
Can you say the political good old boy and girl's club for the ultimate infringement of our rights!
Where they protect the criminal that has been in and out of jail numerous times and yet they have more rights in the eye of the courts than those of us that follow the law!
An illegal alien has more rights than those of us born here in America according to our court system!
Where the highest court in the land can refuse to uphold our constitution and protect our citizens rights!
They know the right to keep and bear arms was always a citizen's right and they certainly understand the context and meaning of the word infringed in the constitution.
The 2nd amendment was put into place to ensure no over reach of government. That the people were always represented and for the protection of the people's rights!
But hey, we don't trust you with a firearm unless your a soldier or law enforcement of the government.
So your a defenseless serf in your own home or while walking our streets.
But thanks for answering our country's call!

And all the above doesn't apply if your from the 1 percent elitist in this country.
They are untouchable and above all the laws!

Last edited:
If we have 700,000 licensed gun owners what kind of vote power is that with a 4.5mil voter pool IF all gun owners got on the same page?

Well that was an interesting way to start an article. Are we having 8th graders write for newspapers now?

Well that was an interesting way to start an article. Are we having 8th graders write for newspapers now?
Since that first paragraph repeats, I think it's a (terribly long) caption for the heading photo.

Nonetheless, it's generally mediocre writing, but papers normally target about a 6th grade reading level.

Interesting that with 1 in 10 having an LTC, we are we always getting shit on. Gays are lower frequency that that and we’re slavishly bowing down to that group.

That's because the gays were smart enough to enlist some "influencers" early on in their campaign for acceptance. They got people with bully pulpits to say, "It's OK to be gay!" And, they demanded acceptance, not just tolerance. That's why you have pols marching in gay pride parades, now, instead of mere open secrets like P-town.

Unfortunately, we have only been able to get Charlton Heston holding up a Kentucky long rifle, at a an NRA meeting as a poster child for 2A rights. And, that was 40 years after he led all of Yul Brynner's Hebrew slaves out of Egypt. He'd lost a lot of his audience, to the worms.

I'd like to see some female pop stars on the 2A side.....but that's not likely to happen.

Based on a 6 year renewal cycle, one per could account for up to three, and a minimum of two (if they were licensed for the duration) applications. I doubt they factored this into their number.
I was thinking the same thing. What you mentioned could skew the count considerably. I wonder if they included the resident alien rifle/shotgun permits (like the one my wife has) that are issued directly through the state along with FIDs and LTCs issued through local police departments?

It's too bad these people didn't show up at the state house for the rally after the Healy BS.
I was there with the wife and daughter.
Here in MA far, far too many spineless fudds, the same ones that say "I own a firearm..But".
They couldn't waste an ounce of energy or spend the ten dollars for parking.
But skinflint for a hundred miles to save a dollar on a box of shotgun shells.
These are the same pussies that fly old glory and don't have the balls to stand up to corrupt politicians and say "No, your wrong and I will not stand for your injustices!".
The fudds get their asses handed to them by the snowflakes and their too much of a coward to even be counted among the real owners of firearms!
They are the sellouts of our culture and deserve no respect or position of authority in any gun club!
I'm getting to the point of looking for some land where that part of shooting doesn't exist!
Fudds make me want to vomit! They are a cancer to the 2nd Amendment! I have more respect for the anti's, at least they stand up for their beliefs! fudd.jpg

Last edited:
That's because the gays were smart enough to enlist some "influencers" early on in their campaign for acceptance. They got people with bully pulpits to say, "It's OK to be gay!" And, they demanded acceptance, not just tolerance. That's why you have pols marching in gay pride parades, now, instead of mere open secrets like P-town.

Unfortunately, we have only been able to get Charlton Heston holding up a Kentucky long rifle, at a an NRA meeting as a poster child for 2A rights. And, that was 40 years after he led all of Yul Brynner's Hebrew slaves out of Egypt. He'd lost a lot of his audience, to the worms.

I'd like to see some female pop stars on the 2A side.....but that's not likely to happen.

No it's because most MA LTC permitees are so damned f***ing afraid of having their "suitability" being jeopardized, they only come out of their holes or out from under their rocks to face their police state gestapo to renew every so often.

You are bullshitting yourself if you think there is any other real reason why 200,000 permitees don't show up at any given hearing or protest......they're fvcking cowards, through and through.

If anything, the inflated number serves to normalize gun ownership in Massachusetts.

They also prove to show the level of abject cowardess among the greater number of LTC holders who all think they are special individually because they got theirs, but couldn't give a rats ass about curbing the oppressive laws in general.

Fudd: A spineless, selfish, I got mine and you don't, piece of vomit, the ultimate coward, a vile pussy, lacking of all firearm knowledge unless it's a shotgun, turns his back on all other gun owners when it comes to their rights, this piece of shit is scared of his own shadow, cowers in fear at the thought of even standing up for himself, this boot licker is the most dangerous anti-gunner the entire whole free world has ever known, he can't wait to join the jack boot thugs should the time come!
This mother foker would gas his own family to live another minute in time!

Fudd: A spineless, selfish, I got mine and you don't, piece of vomit, the ultimate coward, a vile pussy, lacking of all firearm knowledge unless it's a shotgun, turns his back on all other gun owners when it comes to their rights, this piece of shit is scared of his own shadow, cowers in fear at the thought of even standing up for himself, this boot licker is the most dangerous anti-gunner the entire whole free world has ever known, he can't wait to join the jack boot thugs should the time come!
This mother foker would gas his own family to live another minute in time!

Pretty much nails it.

John Rosenthal says, “All we do with guns, is we treat them like automobiles, which are also inherently dangerous products.”
That is such BS. We do not treat automobiles and guns alike, if we did you would get your license to drive taken away for being "unsuitable" if you scratched someone else's car with your door at the supermarket. And if you ever reapplied for your driver's license the RMV would say "NO you are denied because you have this incident at Market Basket in 1995 here on your record." His followers must be beyond stupid to believe the garbage coming out of his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom