• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA law regarding Amount of Ammunition???

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
Does anyone know if there is any laws in MASS about the amount of ammunition you can have stored at your residence?

If so please state article or link for me to reference.

I don't believe there is, but I could be wrong - however - there is a limit on the pounds of gun powder you can have. That is according to the local fire department, iirc.

Thats exactly what I thought... or heard before... but wanted to confirm.
If anyone else has any thoughts on it please feel free to post also :)

Thanks Lynne!

Peruse this at your leisure:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

EXCERPT.....
527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunitiion.

Yup, there are limits on quantity of ammo, primers and gun powder both with and without permits. Apts get a lot lower limit than houses.

I've exceeded those quantities for a very long time! I've had a permit for powder/ammo/primers since the mid-1970s for that reason. I really have no idea how much ammo or primers I have. Since the powder is all in one location, I do have a handle on that.

There are "storage" requirements in the CMR also. Basically all ammo must be kept locked up.

You need to amass a large enough weapons cache that ships navigators would need to adjust for the slight shift in the earths magnetic field produced by all that congregated metal. [twisted]

Adam_MA said:
sickone777 said:
what gun show

I assume he means one in Germany... That's where he is from.

Adam
Exactly!
That's the biggest one held in Kassel, about 80 mi from home.
Last year my buddies and I wheeled out approx. 6,700 rds of rifle ammo, mostly Swiss GP11 7.5x55. Oh, and that nice Swiss K11 followed me home :D

Last year my buddies and I wheeled out approx. 6,700 rds of rifle ammo, mostly Swiss GP11 7.5x55. Oh, and that nice Swiss K11 followed me home

This rifle seems to have a great reputation for accuracy. And it sounds like you guys over there have a better source of 7.5x55 ammo then we do.

Currently there is ample supply of GP11, but it's way more expensive than it is on your side of the pond. We're talking approx. $ 450/1000.
Issue is, that each lot must get tested for C.I.P. specs, each single round will receive an ink stamp indicating the caliber and distributor (that's because by C.I.P. regulations the caliber must be stamped on the cartridge, and most all militay manufacture usually indicates the manufacturer and lot no. only in the headstamp) and then getting re-packed.
We're not sure for how long this superb stuff will be sold by the Swiss Govt., as we hear that the manufacture for the Swiss Military has been stopped. On the other side there is word of BILLIONS of rounds they have squirreled away.
Anyway, I keep on buying GP11 just to be on the safe side, trying to never run below 2,500 rounds.

And yes, these are very accurate rifles with probably the best triggers ever made for military rifles.
I own a K31 which is fitted with a side mount and a 10x42 Schmidt&Bender, a pristine K11 and a G11.

I wasn't able to get the bayo & sling I was looking for, but made contact to a Swedish dealer who was at the show for the first time ever.
He claimed to have lots of the stuff I was looking for back in Sweden, so I'm going to mail him a wish list.

JonJ said:
Peruse this at your leisure:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

EXCERPT.....
527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunitiion.

A secure weatherproof outdoor storage container will allow a firearm owner to retain ammunition in excess of the above amounts. Notice the law states IN a building or other structure. A detached garage or shed also will allow the above amounts to be stored in that structure as well as in your home. In any case, that's a lot of ammunition.

Chris

Chris,

No need, getting a Powder/Ammo Storage Permit from your local Fire Chief is real simple in most every town/city (no guarantees about Mumbles-land). Costs me $10 IIRC for 2 years and lets me store:

- NMT 30K rimfire
- NMT 50K CF (not including shotgun)
- NMT 50K shotgun

With a max total of NMT 100K at any time (that's what it says, I know that the numbers don't add up).

Plus NMT 10K primers, NMT 48# smokeless powder, and NMT 5# blackpowder

I wouldn't recommend storing this stuff outdoors where it is subject to massive heat/cold temp swings and high humidity.

Pilgrim said:
I wonder if those limits are for an individual.

eg: I can have that much, my wife can have that much and each kid an have that much.

"Officer, this is my 25,000 rnds and these belong to my wife!"

LOL... I have an extra stash in my summer home. [wink]

[laugh2] No, as a matter of fact they are ONLY for a single family house.

Further restrictions apply for a multi-residence building!

These regs are for firefighting purposes, they aren't anti-gun, but they do want to restrict at least some quantities of flammables in a building.

Back
Top Bottom