MA Gun Grab 2024: Senate bill S.2572

I need to read this some more, but I do NOT see new grandfathering. So all the guns you have now that are AWB compliant would suddenly be felonies upon implementation of this bill. I will look again, but the places it should be are not referenced. No change to chap 140 sec 131M which is where it would be expected.

Agreed. That is concerning. How can they possibly say that a gun you owned legally today is now illegal once this law goes into effect?

I need to read this some more, but I do NOT see new grandfathering. So all the guns you have now that are AWB compliant would suddenly be felonies upon implementation of this bill. I will look again, but the places it should be are not referenced. No change to chap 140 sec 131M which is where it would be expected.
So when are we moving?

following on what @Picton said, that's not here because they're different bills.

so, even if it passes the Senate, they'll be forced into a reconciliation effort between the two houses.
Doesn’t it clearly state it’s an amendment to the house bill?

Text of the Senate amendment (Senator Creem) to the House Bill modernizing firearm laws (House, No. 4139).

What about pre Healey ARs?

Lol. That'll be rich once it gets to court.

Meaning, the state will never bother trying to enforce it.
Nothing about registration either.
It you’ve been subject to an involuntary three day hold(Sec 12), it is now a prohibitor.

You might have to get a doctors note.

Agreed. That is concerning. How can they possibly say that a gun you owned legally today is now illegal once this law goes into effect?
They should know better. That won’t stand in court.

The same way they voided "lifetime" FIDs in 1998.

Criminals openly violating the Constitution could care less about passing Bills of Attainder and Ipso Facto laws.

I have made one pass through the new bill

Two things I will highlight with details below:

1. It makes all existing government administrative buildings and courts/judicial builds off limits to guns
  2. It removes state preemption that stops local government (municipal, county) from passing their own restrictions on guns
The removal of preemption is in some ways the worst thing possible as you no longer know what the laws are as you pass town to town.

From a practical perspective all ARs are banned.

Frames and receivers are no longer different than the completed gun they represent. This effectively makes the roster for handguns fully enforceable.

Some details:

The bill modifies existing MGL as opposed to completely rewriting Chapter 140

Sec 121

New definition of assault weapon. Long form and not a reference to old federal law. Essentially codifies Healey type language resulting in a complete ban of ARs. Compliance work is no longer a “thing” as how it is originally manufactured or assembled is its permanent condition. That bans everything else.

Firearm now includes the receiver or frame of such firearm

Defines FFL. Defines Frame.

Defines machine gun to include parts designed to convert a gun into a machine gun. So broader than federal language and would include for example the full auto trigger pack of a MP5 or the trigger parts of a M16.

Defines manufacture to be what you think but not include reassembly or essentially gunsmithing.

Expands ERPO. Bend over. LOTS of language changes in later sections too.

Essentially bans force reset and binary triggers with new “Rapid-fire trigger activator”

Defines Receiver

Rifle now includes the receiver of such rifle

Shotgun now includes the receiver of such shotgun

Defines “unfinished frame or receiver”. Think 80%

New sec 121B guns must have serial numbers. FFL 07s exempt from this. Pre 1968 guns exempt. Some other exemptions. This is the GHOST GUNS BAD section

New sec 121C makes 3d printing or milling of firearms by anyone not a 07 FFL a crime. Making guns in MA would now be illegal except by FFLs

Selling machine to make guns illegal unless to a FFL

Any person with a FID or LTC who manufactures or assembles a firearm must notify state within 10 days. So closes the existing “purchase or obtain” loophole addressing manufacture or assemble.

You can never sell a gun you make yourself

New sec 121D bans “digital firearm manufacturing code”. This already lost in federal court so an interesting one to add. No code for making guns unless you are a FFL

Sec 123

Inspections are still done by local police unless they cannot and they then notify state police who will conduct inspection

New Sec 128D this is pure evil. This is language to get around federal law protecting gun manufacturers and resellers from lawsuits for products used as designed. It is broad and lacks clarity such that everyone can be sued if they said the word “gun”

Sec 129D and 131 broaden background requirements for getting a FID or LTC to include a lot more mental checks, health privacy invasion etc.

Sec 131N more broadly bans covert weapons

Chap 269 sec 10 now bans guns from all state, county or municipal administrative buildings and all courts or court administrative buildings. So you cannot carry into town hall anymore, for example.

Removes state preemption for governments below the state level to further ban guns from any area under their control. So think buildings, parks, etc. THIS IS TOTAL EVIL ALSO. We now have laws different town to town

Chap 269 10H defines carrying while under the influence to be the same .08 as DUI
So does section 121 now ban building a semiauto from a milsurp parts kit?

Back
Top Bottom